Talkin bout Anchors

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA CATFISHING' started by JByrd, Dec 23, 2017.

1. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    This may have been covered before. I need to buy a couple of anchors and there are about as many different ones out there as there are boats. I have a Tracker 175 17 ft boat and will be fishing lakes. Was looking at the folding grapnel ones that West Marine has. They look like they would be better for storage on boat and are budget oriented. 3 or 5 pounds enough? https://www.westmarine.com/buy/whit...MI1veEqLih2AIVw4KzCh0vBgWpEAQYBCABEgI-0_D_BwE

2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Hi Thomas. I use a homemade grapple anchor for my 2070. It works well in the Ohio River. The one you listed the link for might be a little light for your 17 footer. It says it was designed for a boat up to 14 foot.

They are a pain to store unless the tines find in. Have not found a good place for mine yet.

IMG_0335 - Version 2.JPG

I also have a Richter anchor that I use for the back, but it will also hold well especially in lake water. Fits in a 5 gallon bucket with the rope.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/greenfield-products--richter-anchors--P005_153_003_500

Again, I would make my own.

R. D. Hilton and green_neo like this.

3. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    The tines do fold down and there is a locking collar that holds the tines or blades out and it also holds the blades in when folded. Walmart has them up to 13 lb.s for larger boats. I have a bunch of material, welding and cutting equipment to make most anything. Looks like the umbrella shape is the best.

4. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Yes, I think the umbrella shape is good. I bought steel rod stock from Lowe's but learned later that rebar was just as good or better. It is cheaper, and has the capability to bend which I think is an advantage over the hard steel rod stock I have. A short length of water pipe can be used to straighten the tines if needed. Mine is also longer than it need to be at 24 inches. !8 inches is plenty. I cut a single link of chain in half and it was easy to make fit and weld for the attachment point for the rope.

R. D. Hilton likes this.
  5. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    R. D. Hilton likes this.
  6. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    I could make a slip ring anchor too, I have the sheet steel and rods. I could make a hundred anchors. Walmart has them for $27.40, it is 15.00 x 15.00 x 5.25 Inches, not bad. According to what that guy said on E Bay (his is 11 X 11, 4 lb. and 8" flukes) it is big enough for a 18 ft boat. Another one at Walmart is 14.00 x 13.00 x 5.25 Inches and is $18.75. That should be big enough for me. Not worth me making it at that price. Should be big enough. Which one do you have L.W. or is it larger?

7. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    I believe it's the one under $20 and we use it on a 20' pontoon with 100' line & 6' chain. That rear anchor helps keep us from swinging.

Wildcats789 and R. D. Hilton like this.
  8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thomas, for $18.75, I think I would give that a try first. I think it would do fine. Like you said and I totally agree, you can not make your own for that price. If it does what you want, great. If it doesn't, use it for the rear anchor or give it away. You won't have too much invested.

The rope length and 5 or 6 foot of chain that will keep the anchor positioned right are important.

tight lines

9. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    Ordered 2, If I don't like them I can clean them up and get a refund. $40.02 and no shipping cost. I have plenty of chain. There is a rule of life, know what you are doing before you buy something, no one cheats you but what you cheat yourself by not doing the homework. I appreciate all the help with my homework!

twaskom likes this.
  10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Now to enhance that homework even to a higher level:idea: always fish 3 in the boat with you in the middle it works wonders!!!:love::laugh::sneaky:

R. D. Hilton, JByrd and crcanter like this.
  11. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    My wife a grandchild and me should do it. Also have this mexican boy who lives close by who I will invite sometimes. They are a good family. We have helped each other out several times. Going to get a little Coleman camper gas grille (I will buy one cheap somewhere) so we can cook on the boat, that will be tasty! The Chene anchors I have now were ordered from WalMart, made by JE Chene Anchor Company at 201 Industrial Way, Fenton MI 48430 which is at the same address as Epic Machine.

12. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    Harbor Freight has the best deal on rope I have found for a 3/8" X 100 ft- 800 lb cap. diamond braid Use the 20% discount coupon on all purchases. $8.55.

R. D. Hilton and Catpaw like this.
  13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    For the gents who don't have as much room to store your anchor and use wreck anchors, 3-4" PCV works great

20140310_140512.jpg 20160524_132439.jpg 20160531_101701.jpg 20131229_163841.jpg

14. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Here's a couple better pics

tapatalk_1448797583785.jpeg tapatalk_1448797589097.jpeg

JByrd likes this.
  15. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks for the pictures Ramon. My homemade anchor looks more like a TeePee without a skin covering and yours reminds me of spider legs. So far my river anchor just sets on the floor in the nose of my boat. Your setup would work well on a pontoon. But I sold my pontoon 2 years ago. With the typical aluminum boat setting much lower on the water, and tines that hang over the edge will latch on to any dock that gets close so, it may be a little more difficult finding a suitable location for a PVC holder.

It seems to be a little difficult to take an object that is made to grab ahold of anything that comes close to not also do that when you are trying to store it on your boat.

Here is mine for comparison.

IMG_0328.JPG

ramon06 and JByrd like this.