Talk of repealing 34" limit in Tennessee

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rwilley3, Feb 17, 2006.

1. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    For all who are interested the House (and Senate ultimately) are once again discussing repealing 34" limit on catfish in the State. The bills sponsoring this legislation are HB 0409 and SB 1818. They would allow unlimited harvest on catfish 34" or greater by not only sportfishermen but also commercial fishermen. The house bill is scheduled to be before the Conservation and Environment Committee on 2/22/06. The House version of the bill is sponsered by Representative Borchet(rep.willie.borchert@legislature.state.tn.us) who is the representative from Henry, Benton and Stewart counties. It is cosponsered by John Tidwell(rep.john.tidwell@legislature.state.tn.us) who is the representative from Houston, Humphreys, Perry, Hickman and Maury counties. He is also the Secretary of the Committee reviewing the bill. The other cosponsor is Steve McDaniel (rep.steve.mcdaniel@legislature.state.tn.us) who is the representative from Henderson, Chester, Decatur and Wayne counties. The Chairman of this committee is Gary Odom(rep.gary.odom@legislature.state.tn.us) who is representaive from Davidson county. The Vice Chair is Mike McDonald(rep.michael.mcdonald@ legislature.state.tn.us) who is representative from Sumner county. The Speaker of the House who also happens to be my representative is Jimmy Naifeh(speaker.jimmy.naifeh@legislature.state.tn.us) who represents Tipton and Haywood counties. I would urge all of you fishermen who pursue trophy cats in this State and believe repealing this law would be a mistake to contact these people and voice your concern. Let them know how much you believe the trophy fishery we have in this state provides much more economic benefit than that derived from depleting this valuable resource. If your representative has not been listed it would not hurt to go ahead and make them aware of your opposition as well in case it makes it to the floor for a vote. You can find a list of the house members at www.legislature.state.tn.us. If they hear from a few of us we can out this to rest hopefully one day for good.
    Roger

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like the commercial guys are raising a stink! you guys in tennessee need to make an even fouler stink if you dont want it to pass!

3. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I tell you what, this is really starting to hack me off. Enough is enough. This comes up every year for the last 4 years I believe. Whats the deal. They can't rape the waters enough with small fish, they need the big fish. Give it up. Go home and stay home. I am sick of this mess. I thought the commercial guys did not fish for the big fish. But it seems they really want them for something. I can tell you exactly what they want them for. They sell them to the ole boys at the ********. I hear there is no way to over fish our lakes and rivers, but yet the local fish market owner tells me himself, they don't catch the flatheads like they used to out of the ohio river. DUH. How about me hitting you upside the head with a big ole yellowcat. They take and take and take, but yet the fish are not there now.

4. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Hey Roger,
    If I were still in clarksville I would spend some time on the fone and making some noise and they will listen if you will call.This looks like a job for the BOC to take action

5. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    I fish the Kentucky lake stretch of the Tennessee river and I talk to the commercial guys here every chance I get. They've told me again and again that NO ONE they sell to around here wants anything much larger than a few pounds.

They DO tell me though that there are certain commercial guys "here, there and yonder" who would just love to see the law repealed. That's so that they can go back to catching big cats like they were a few years back and selling them to out of state pay lakes.

Words cannot describe how the re-birth of that idea ticks me off.....

Steve

6. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Glad to see there is some interest in this. Tell everyone you know to contact these guys as well as their own representatives and lets lay this thing to rest once and for all.
    Roger

7. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Guys and ladies, The 22nd will be this coming wednesday so there won't be much time for anyone to protest. That means realisticly that we will only have monday and tuesday to let our opinions be heard. They will leave their offices wednesday morning with their choices made up and probably won't check back with their staff before the final vote.

Please, please be sure to contact these fellows and make your voices heard this MONDAY or TUESDAY because wednesday will probably be too late to do it.

Steve

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Sounds like a new bill needs to start. Banning the guys form fishing at all. I bet that would change there outlook on this bill.
    AS if they thought there way of fishing would stop. Bet they would love to stop bringing this up.
    You can bet I will be sending out e-mails agian like last year.
    Also TWRA does not even won't to change the law. but the sorry guys in office think a few that take the big fish to ( Ohio. That is where the ones with TWRA And the Tn gov I talked with told me the fish were going to) out of state lay ponds.
    So everyone flood the Gov of tn with e-mails and see if we can get this stopped for good.
    PEte

9. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Good point Pete
    Here is the Govenor's e-mail address for any who are interested- phil.bredesen@state.tn.us. I am thinking this would be an especially effective contact for those of you who do not live in the state just to let him know what kind of economic impact you guys bring to the state in way of out of state licences, motels, gas, bait, tackle, etc. that we would not be getting if the opportunity to catch these fish were not available. It won't hurt for us "locals" to voice our opinion as well. Like Pete said everyone I have ever talked to with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency is opposed to repealing this law so it definitely is not in the name of conservation that it keeps getting brought up.
    Roger

10. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Guys, emails aren't gonna help in this case. You must call them to voice your opinion.

Three of the names up there have recently sponsored anti-hunting bills and have a long history of doing so.

When you call, make it clear to the person you talk to that the commercial interests in favor of this bill are NOT doing anything to renew the resource (ie. catfish that are taken) and that their commercial fishing business is actually subsidized by recreational sportsman's license fees. Just a point of clarification: If you don't have a commercial license in TN, you have a recreational license.

11. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Arkansas just passed the same law for the mississippi this year! There has been alot of emails over the subject to keep the mississippi river a trophy fishery. Last i heard mississippi (the state) was looking at following suit. All you guys that fish tennessee make sure you voice your opinion.

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    We don't know if it will help or not but Judy and I just sent a letter to Governor Bredesen. Thanks for the link Roger.

Please everyone let your voices be heard.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Everyone of these got mail from me on this. And the Gov.
    Also last year there was a few that told me, They recived thousands of letters and e-mails on this so it does help.
    PEte

rep.joe.armstrong@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.joe.armstrong@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.william.baird@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.william.baird@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.stratton.bone@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.stratton.bone@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.willie.borchert@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.willie.borchert@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.harry.brooks@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.harry.brooks@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.henri.brooks@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.henri.brooks@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.tommie.brown@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.tommie.brown@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.frank.buck@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.frank.buck@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.dewayne.bunch@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.dewayne.bunch@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.stacey.campfield@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.stacey.campfield@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.glen.casada@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.glen.casada@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.chris.clem@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.chris.clem@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.curt.cobb@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.curt.cobb@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.jerome.cochran@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.jerome.cochran@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.kent.coleman@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.kent.coleman@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.barbara.cooper@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.barbara.cooper@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.chris.crider@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.chris.crider@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.charles.curtiss@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.charles.curtiss@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.eugene.davidson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.eugene.davidson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.david.davis@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.david.davis@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.john.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.john.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.lois.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.lois.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.tom.dubois@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.tom.dubois@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.bill.dunn@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.bill.dunn@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.jimmy.eldridge@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.jimmy.eldridge@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.joanne.favors@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.joanne.favors@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.dennis.ferguson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.dennis.ferguson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.craig.fitzhugh@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.craig.fitzhugh@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.joe.fowlkes@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.joe.fowlkes@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.george.fraley@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.george.fraley@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.steve.godsey@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.steve.godsey@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.dolores.gresham@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.dolores.gresham@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.jim.hackworth@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.jim.hackworth@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.tre.hargett@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.tre.hargett@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.jere.hargrove@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.jere.hargrove@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.bill.harmon@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.bill.harmon@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.mike.harrison@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.mike.harrison@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.beth.harwell@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.beth.harwell@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.david.hawk@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.david.hawk@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.joey.hensley@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.joey.hensley@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.matthew.hill@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.matthew.hill@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.john.hood@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.john.hood@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.curtis.johnson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.curtis.johnson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.phillip.johnson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.phillip.johnson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.russell.johnson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.russell.johnson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.sherry.jones@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.sherry.jones@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.ulysses.jones@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.ulysses.jones@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.brian.kelsey@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.brian.kelsey@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.mike.kernell@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.mike.kernell@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.edith.taylor.langster@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.edith.taylor.langster@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.john.litz@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.john.litz@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.susan.lynn@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.susan.lynn@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.mark.maddox@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.mark.maddox@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.debra.young.maggart@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.debra.young.maggart@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.beverly.marrero@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.beverly.marrero@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.joe.mccord@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.joe.mccord@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.gerald.mccormick@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.gerald.mccormick@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.steve.mcdaniel@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.steve.mcdaniel@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.michael.mcdonald@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.michael.mcdonald@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.bob.mckee@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.bob.mckee@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.kim.mcmillan@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.kim.mcmillan@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.larry.miller@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.larry.miller@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.richard.montgomery@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.richard.montgomery@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.gary.moore@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.gary.moore@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.jason.mumpower@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.jason.mumpower@legislature.state.tn.us>; speaker.jimmy.naifeh@legislature.state.tn.us <speaker.jimmy.naifeh@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.frank.niceley@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.frank.niceley@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.gary.odom@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.gary.odom@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.doug.overbey@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.doug.overbey@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.phillip.pinion@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.phillip.pinion@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.w.c.pleasant@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.w.c.pleasant@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.mary.pruitt@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.mary.pruitt@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.randy.rinks@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.randy.rinks@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.dennis.roach@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.dennis.roach@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.donna.rowland@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.donna.rowland@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.gary.rowe@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.gary.rowe@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.charles.sargent@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.charles.sargent@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.jack.sharp@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.jack.sharp@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.johnny.shaw@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.johnny.shaw@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.david.shepard@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.david.shepard@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.paul.stanley@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.paul.stanley@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.park.strader@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.park.strader@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.eric.swafford@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.eric.swafford@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.john.tidwell@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.john.tidwell@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.harry.tindell@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.harry.tindell@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.curry.todd@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.curry.todd@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.joe.towns@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.joe.towns@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.larry.turner@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.larry.turner@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.mike.turner@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.mike.turner@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.nathan.vaughn@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.nathan.vaughn@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.bo.watson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.bo.watson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.eric.watson@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.eric.watson@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.ben.west@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.ben.west@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.john.windle@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.john.windle@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.leslie.winningham@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.leslie.winningham@legislature.state.tn.us>; rep.eddie.yokley@legislature.state.tn.us <rep.eddie.yokley@legislature.state.tn.us>

14. mudpuppy

mudpuppy New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good Morning all, How have you been doing Tom? Now my reply, LOL Same old stuff, I just wish everyone would do a little research on Catfish before they start vocing their opion on a size limet on Catfish, Personely i could care less what Tenn. does on this isue, It is a win win dishion for me LOL, If they keep the size limet it just leaves more for me to catch and sell to feed fish hungry ppl, If they take the size limet off it will increase the income on a yearly bases for my fellow Commerial Fishermen in Tenn. {woops there is that hated word Commerial} You fellows have a good day.

15. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Well Mudpuppy what research do you have that we apparently all need to see since we are so misguided? It seems like from your response "It is a win win dishion for me LOL, If they keep the size limet it just leaves more for me to catch" :confused: that you even back up our opinion that the current law protects these big ones which we for the most part release to be caught again. Most commercial fishermen's argument is that they have no effect on the population of these larger fish. I understand that fishing is your source of income and I realize you guys have to work extremely hard to make a living so I am not totally in favor of banning it outright myself. I admit I do get aggravated here on the Mississippi River sometimes when there are nets everywhere I like to fish but that is just part of it I guess. It also makes me mad when I see dead fish, trash, etc. caught in these nets that are not checked for days and days but I know this is not representative of all commercial guys and I should not paint you all with the same brush. We are not pushing for a ban on commercial fishing just some sensible regulations to protect the larger ones, just like other species of fish have in the state, to allow people a much greater chance of catching a trophy. I know here in TN the commercial fishing business is basically a "money pit" on the TWRA resources which is being made up for by the sale of recreational licenses so it stands to reason the opinions of the majority should outweigh the opinions of the minority especially when the majority is shouldering the burden of the load. Then couple that with the fact that the people specifically in the business of managing the wildlfie agree that this is a good law.
    Respectfully in diagreement

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes but I belive your the same man that last year told us there was no way we would block this. And I bet Ky will still jump on the band wagon.
    Also. As for research My famly fished for a living for longer then you have ever even been alive. So there take that to your bank.
    Also sounds like all your on here for is to start trouble agian.
    Have a great day and keep on catching the BIg headed carp.
    Pete

17. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    You guys on the middle and western end of the state are fortunate that your fish are edible. On Ft. Loudon, Watts Bar, and Nickajack there are warnings and adviseries on catfish consumption. Do what it takes to protect it!

I will call my representatives on Monday.

18. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Speaking for myself Mudpuppy, I have zero problem with the commercial guys and what they do for a living. "Commercial" isn't a hated word with me or any of my buddies and I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't broad-brush us sports fishermen.

The local commercial guys are always happy to tell me about new spots I could try and are great all around guys. And yep, I'm glad they're out there doing what they do best each time I go to a local restraunt and I see those fine Tennessee river catfish are on the menu.

My only problem is with the tiny minority of commercial license holders out there that view the river as a place where "take everything you can while you can and scrxx everyone else" is the only rule of the day. Those are the folks I have a problem with and not the responsible and honorable commercial fishermen just trying to make a decent living for their families.

Steve

19. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    OK, I have a few questions that need to be answered. WHY, are the over 34" catfish so important to commercial fisherman, since the majority of there sell is for 5-10lb fish. Where do these bigger fish go??? Would it not make MORE since to keep these big fish instate , instead of transporting them out of state. I would think, us out of staters, fishing, staying, and eating in tennessee would bring more revenue than taking these large fish to ********.

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Slimcat that has been my main argument all along. I think those "big uns" are far more valuable left in place whether it is you out of state boys spending the money to catch them or us "locals" spending the money we spend on our truck gas, boats, tackle, etc. Heck I haven't even mentioned us local MS River fishermen who drive half way across the state to the TN River, several times a year, to catch nothing more than bait to try and hook into a lunker here close to home.