Talk About Bad Luck!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cougar, Nov 28, 2006.

1. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    Sunday evening about 6:00pm I found myself halfway back to the boat ramp on Truman from an all day blackpowder hunt when my 1979 Evenrude locked up. The wind was blowing in my face and trying to push me back to where I came until I got my anchor in. Luckily, the cellphone that I dropped in the lake 24hrs earlier was working again so I could call a very good friend 40 miles away that pulled his boat out of winter storage to come to my rescue. Three hours later I had my boat on the trailer and hedding home. I never saw another boat on the lake during that wait. Luck was not on my side. On the way home I lost 3rd gear in my 01 dodge and the next day after I fixed my pressure tank switch, that I found was broke when I got home, I broke my thumb on a piece of farm machinery. Man I hope I never have a weekend like that again!!!! I'm new to boating, after graduating from bank fishing for 36years, is there any athauthority on Truman that someone can call for help in that situation?

2. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    By the way, I didn't even see a deer all day, nor did I catch any fish while I was stranded for 3 hours.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Cougar That is a bad day/weekend. I talked to leprechan and he is sending some luck your way, lol. I do know about a rescue to call, though.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My Goodness Sakes,what a round of bad luck. I am happy that you were able to get help.Ouch sorry about the thumb anyways hope all goes alot better for you in the future! Take care Brother!:crazy:

5. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    man that is a bad weekend but just think for every bad weekend people have a better one is just five days away

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sorry that should have said I do NOT know of a rescue to call

7. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Cougar; Benton County Missouri has a 24 hour 911 system, call and tell them where you are and you will receive immediate response from; the Missouri State Water Patrol & Missouri Conservation Department & the United States Coast Gaurd & Benton County Fire + Rescue or the Benton County Sheriff's Dept. Due to the close proximity of Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Lake there is an integral network of highly trained professionals who will come help you 24/7. We have many folks who need help and we are there for you 24/7.
    diodeman

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Cougar,thanks for the invite to come fishing and hunting with you....ahhh...but..........I think I have to wash my hair....maybe some other time:big_smile: :big_smile:

Sorry about the black cloud over your head

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Man thats having bad luck! I hope things get back to normal!
    Bill

10. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    Are we related?JK.
    When I read your post it reminded me of the old saying "If I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all".

11. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Brauer;
    Your luck sounds like mine! If it was not for "Bad" luck I would not have any luck at all!!!!
    I might suggest that you take the words "Be Prepared" to heart. While never a boy scout myself in my younger years I learned real quick to "Be Prepared" no matter what endeavor I was attempting!
    I've found that it helps me considerably to do so. No matter what I was attempting!:smile2:
    Take Care of your equipment, carry backups, ect, and give some though to what the "Worst that can happen" might be and prepare accordingly. This way, chances are that it wont happen but if it does, you will "Be Prepared!":smile2:
    Hope This Helps
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

12. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I wouldn't call it "immediate" but you certainly will eventually get help. I got stuck on a sand bar last year on a very cold late October morning, almost within sight of the Osage Bluff Marina, and called the boat patrol (via my brother-in-law who lives in Warsaw) for help. Took about 2 hours for the officer to get there, coming out of Sterret Creet Marina, but he did eventually pull me back into floatable water...

The main Missouri State Water Patrol dispatch number is 573-751-3333 - should be able to get you help anywhere in the state.

Benton County Sherriff is 660-438-5252
    Henry County Sherriff is 660-885-7226

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    And I thought I was The only one with BL

14. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    You can always call the Fristoe Cafe(417-998-6552)" my wifes restaurant") and someone will try to help you(tell em Ron said to help). They can either call me or one of the local agencys to help. Most folks in these parts are pretty handy in a pinch and wouldn't hesitate to help someone in need. See ya on the water!