Tales from the Castnet

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KAW RIVER KILLER, Nov 12, 2009.

1. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Last night I went fishing for a little bit, and when I was catching bait I had a very interesting throw. In one toss I got my biggest crappie and saugeye of the year! 16" and 12" respectively, along with 2 shad and 4 bluegill. Needless to say, the crappie and saugeye had to go back. It got me thinking though, I have pulled in some strange things things with the castnet. A steel-toed leather boot, a 2 lbd bullhead tethered to a rock, and by far the coolest was the unopened can of Keystone Light. What about you guys? What odd things have come up in your castnests?

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    A 20 pound flathead at Milford this summer, about 1 foot off the bank.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice catch Garen. Guess I've hit some huge bluegills,carp, and channel cats with the net myself.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Just this past weekend my brother was throwing the net in a local marina. I was messing around with the boat. He threw it one time and said that the net was stuck. I told him that I had actually lost a net in that very spot just a few months before. After much pulling the net come free (ripped to shreds) and attached to the bottom of it was my old cast net and a tree that must have had 15-20 rotting bass style lures attached to it!

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a 6" spoonbill that looked just like a lure.

6. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Big black plastic bag full of trash and a big carp...nothing to interesting here...

7. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    As poorly as I can pitch a cast net I lucky to catch anything :big_smile:

8. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ive pulled in another net before, seemed like it had been there a while.

9. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Ive pulled in quite a few OLD beer cans, trash bags and lots of other crap that I cant think of.:smile2:
    I HATE catchin trees and GAR.:angry:
    One time the net landed right on top of a school of bluegill fry. HUNDREDS of little bluegills were stuck in the mesh. That SUCKED!:wink:

10. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    green carp are fun but not legal to keep. the strangest was at lake wateeree casting for gizzards i caught three 10-12 inch turtles on three successive casts. I was beginning to think someone was trying to tell me turtle was going to be the bait of the day.:wink:

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    4 ft 9 banded water snake. Another time a 5 ft spoonbill.

12. catamount311

catamount311 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Couple months ago i netted a 8-10 lb carp in mine. It was my first time throwing it. Haven't caught anything but shad in it since.

13. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    To easy at Fort Stewart GA. Only problem is when mom starts chasing you because the baby is making a shreaking noise. I try to bite as well.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil

15. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    No Jim, the can of beer was UNopened. We all know that if that can hadn't been cracked you'd have gone in after it. That, or sent JJ in after it:wink:.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  16. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    ive caught carp of all sizes, turtles, and trash, nothin too interesting

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    You guys must have a bad aim...I always catch shad in my:smile2::smile2:

Just kiddin....I did catch about a 24" wiper at Milford.Took about 5min to get him out.

18. wedge17.6

wedge17.6 New Member

State:
    copan ok
  19. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    in one throw i had 2 7 pound drums, another throw bout 100pounds of shad, another was the weird one in the net was a really big brake drum looked like it came off of a 1 ton truck or something like that. and that was brake drum was only in a wally world 3.5 foot net! i was so surprised it did not tear!!

20. seaark ryan

seaark ryan New Member

State:
    Kansas
    This past summer I was throwing down at the Perry spill way. I made several throws on the end of the west wall in the back water between the wall and the rocks. I felt some tugs and ended up with a massive 11lb. Walleye! I ran up to the truck and grabed my scale out of the boat weighed it then threw it back. I also caught the wrond end of my 75lb. thrust Motor Guide when on max speed! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::angry:. Wow what a mess!