Tale about striper's

Discussion in 'Striper Fishing' started by Mac-b, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    In the mid 80's I got hooked on fishing for striper's on Lake Norman, NC. They were so plentiful that any one could catch one without a lot of effort. With the right gear, bait and electronics you could catch 30 or more in a morning, not a group, but just one person. Our limit in the mid 80's was eight striper's per person per day and a party of four could easily accomplish this feat, thats 32 striper's in the boat of all sizes.

It was not uncommon to hear of someone catching an 18 pounder or better each and every time they went out during striper season. A lot of striper's in the 20 and 30 pound class were caught, removed from the lake and hung on the wall as a trophy. Hundreds of large striper's died before they could get to the weigh in during tournaments. Nobody gave it any thought, because we had so many. I was there and I did it just like everybody else.

Here it is 2009 and we have a limit of four striper's per day, per person and most fisher persons struggle to get a limit. If you catch a six or seven pound striper during a tournament you will win you some money, first, second or third. Just recently, South Carolina passed a law banning keeping any striper's during the summer months in the Santee basin due to the fragile state of the striper fisheries in that State. A little research will reveal that none of the striper compounds in the South are producing large striper's like they did in the 80's and 90's. Sure some are being caught, but they are few and far between.

How could this happen to so many fisheries in the South and most likely elsewhere. Folks, it ain't going to take a rocket scientist to figure this one out! Man and mother nature did it, no question in my mind about this issue. The droughts over the years has/had depleted the prime oxygen columns within our lakes and compounds during the summer months, plus the warmer waters have/had enter into the prime zones where striper's were able to get sufficient oxygen during these periods. The striper fisher person was taking everything he or she could catch and using the striper's for food and trophies to hang on the den wall. Our newspaper sports pages were loaded with stories about great catches, including photographs of the larger striper, each article would create more striper fisher persons. Let me not leave out our State Biologist who depend on historical data before they can adjust fishing regulations to conform to current conditions.

Some of you cat fishermen and women are probably wondering why so many people abused their fishery. Well, to be quite honest with you, they were there for the taking, had always been there and we assumed they would always be there. But we were wrong, never for one minute did we think that mother nature and ourselves could deplete the supply that we had always enjoyed.

I have included two attachments. One is a large striper that I caught in 1991 and it weighed in at 25.25 pounds and the other one is a striper that weighed almost seven pounds and I won a tournament with it in 2009.

There is a moral to this piece and I will leave it up to you fine cat-men and women to figure it out.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nice wall you got in that first picture Mac. That's what I see when I see things like you showed. We got the same thing around here in dryland country in Iowa. Deer heads or wild turkey parts usually hold up walls. Walk into a man's den or bar or living room around here and they got to show you the "trophy", with a grin like some banshee.

My moral, my morals, my lessons, my thoughts if you wish are these.

Just cause it is there doesn't mean it should hold up the wall. I got trophy deer here, have had them since the first day I moved here 24 years ago. Have shot only does. Some folks have taken trophies off here 'cause I let them and that is fine. I like personally to see them walking the woods, horning my trees and fighting one another or breeding that next doe like some high school kid during prom.

This society only takes and takes and takes. It is not survival anymore. Would not nor ever look down on a man for taking something to survive or feed his family.

However the competition, and tournaments, and greed and just plain selfishness bug me to no end. Can't do anything about it nor do I want to. There used to be a bird here called passenger pigeons. Ain't no more; if everything else is fair game or we destroy the few places they have left with our pollution then I think we should make trophy hunting humans the next tournament specialty. Wonder what size boat and motor we would need for that. Maybe circle hooks and Ugly Sticks can be modified.

3. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    It will never cease.
    Man is as greedy as they come.
    I have added a recent photo of some snappers that we caught in my area.
    Speaking of postbeetle the guy in the middle of the picture kind of reminds me of him.
    It has something to do with either gangs or making jesturs with the fingers.. ???
    You tell me.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mac you have heard me speak out on this before but maybe its worth one more shot.Santee was the birthplace of all freshwater stripers.Infact SC traded stripers to Ark,for the blue cats 800+ that are the original stocking of that species in Santee.When the stripers were first dicovered, 40lb fish were very common and as the guides pursued them they brought them in by the wheelbarrow load.After a while the trophys were gone and their places were taken by many small stripes as Mother nature abhors a vacumn,Now you can catch lots of small fish but a 20lber is cause for celebration, this in a lake that held the world record for a time.Old John Sellars who just recently passed away told me stories of catching those monsters on old Calcutta cane rods and being spooled by the big ones.Today they are gone.Stripers are a fragile fish in our lakes because of the high summer temps which adds to their mortality once caught and released.The catfish were headed the same way until the recent law was passed limiting everyone to one big one a day.Hopefully that will save them.It wasnt just the passenger pigeon my friends ,add the bison and many other species.Once we thought the oceans could never be fished out but you see where we are today.Mans greed knows no bounds unfortunately.There are plenty of eating size fish to be had but the true giants are virual anomalies in their waters and should be respected and protected.I do my best by putting them back and eating the small ones.I dont see the stripers recovering any time soon if ever.:sad2::embarassed:If the final epitath for Santee is ever written it should be "They died of the wheelbarrow and the bragging board".

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know greed is dramatically effecting the fisheries across the country those doing it care less as long as they get "theirs"
    This is a small example of what we face everywhere http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112067

you can even see the same kind of thinking made in comments on this thread that lead the Santee to where it's at now.

10 years ago I could wear my arms out almost any night I went fishing.... many nights I couldnt keep two poles in the water. 30 and 40 pounders was a catch made 9 trips out of 10- Today, It's "good" to catch one or two in the 15-20 pound range. The degrade was that quick. a 20-25 pounder is considered by the Newer or younger fisherman to be a "trophy" or a "monster" well, I guess by todays standards- it is.....

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good post Mac.

The Lake Norman striper stories amaze me and always have. After fishing that lake and struggling to catch a seven pounder, I find it amazing that "once upon a time" 15-30 pound fish were possible there.

Stripers are a fragile fish. The big ones were almost eliminated in saltwater from over fishing. Luckily the biologists stepped in and got a handle on the the situation and once again you are seeing trophy saltwater stripers being caught.

Managing stripers in freshwater impoundments is a work in progress for biologists. In most impoundments they can not reproduce, and many southern impoundments face issue with oxygen depletion / water depth in the heat of the summer. This takes a toll on the growth of the population and the mortality rate of mature fish. Stocking fish is expensive, and only a small percentage of them make it to a size suitable for harvest.

I have said this before; sportsmen are too selfish, short sighted, ignorant, and greedy to manage anything themselves without goverment intervention.

The past two hundred years in the this country have proven that time and time again. Wolves, buffalo, whitetail deer, and elk are all examples of animals that were eradicated from their natural ranges by unregulated over harvesting. Sportsment always hide behind, "as long as it is legal it is ok", without ever having any foresight into managing their own habits and desires.

7. Coors

Coors New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Very well said guys.

8. nccatgirl

nccatgirl New Member

State:
    NC
    I see greed everyday at the main lake I go to. People carry out multiple strings of fish and 5 gallon buckets full too. I know there is no way the lake can continue to support that kind of harvesting but the lake only has limits on bass. It's sad but there is nothing a person can really do. If you say something they get really mad and still keep the fish anyway.

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Your talking to the wrong people..Don't say anything to the culprits..Like you said they just get mad and continue doing what there doing..Call your local wildlife agency and put some pressure on them..Nagg them to death if thats what it takes to get some enforcement out there..If theres nothing illegal though theres not much they can do but at least they could go out there and make sure these people have there fishing license..Maybe put some pressure on them to start putting limits on the fish..Theres always some sort of action you can take..

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Many said there wasnt anything that could be done at Santee also.However since I fish regularly with the guides I started putting pressure on them to think about what they were doing.It was easy for them to blame the trotliners and commercials but they were just as big aproblem with their harvest.Then we started writing petitions,calling congressmen and writing the Gov.I dont even live down there but when I take the time to send a hand written letter to the GOV expressing my concerns he will probably get it.Then the guides finally banded together and started supporting limited harvest and eventually the opposition died the death of a 1000 cuts,and the 1 fish over 36" a day law was signed.That isnt the end however .WHat every state should seek with our support is designation as gamefish for the 3 main catfish species.That gives the DNR the ability to manage the harvest.That should be our ultimate goal.NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER ONE CONCERNED INDIVIDUAL CAN BRING TO BEAR.One voice become 2 then 10 then 1000 then the majority to which even politicians have to listen.RELISH THE FIGHT.:smile2::big_smile:For sure nothing will be done if nothing is said.Write a hand written letter to the DNR.Folks really respect the time and effort you put into a personal letter not an electronic one.:crazy:

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks to me like a simple case of, "I GOT A SMALL JOHNSON SO I GOTTA MAKE UP FOR IT" Until its taken back and the past several generations are weeded out its gonna continue. :angry:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Humans are the ones to blame!

13. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats terrible:angry: Could this type of thing easily happen at locks and dams? I see people taking bucket fulls of white bass and putting huge blue and flathead catfish on stringers to take home.