Talapia heads for catfish bait??

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by perrycounty.in, Oct 15, 2009.

1. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Has anyone ever used talopia heads for bait? My uncle raised 200 of them and we fillet them this weekend. The are so greasy and oily i couldn't get the oil off my hand i had to wash my hand over and over to get the grease off. I saved all the heads off them and im gonna try them this weekend. I know there not native to the waters but if their that oily they may work. :eek:oooh: I'll be sure to post the results either way i figure its worth a shot. They'll just end up in the garden otherwise

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I dont even know what that is?

3. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

I didn't either till he called me to fillet them but i could have greased my bearings on my boat trailer with the oil off them :smile2:
    Glad to see your avitar back thats a good one you looked really homely in the other one

if they turn out to be good flat head bait ill ship ya a box of them :smile2:

4. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    never tried them

i know guys in cali like them, but then again they are native there.. good luck n let us know how it goes:wink:

5. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Tilapia are cichlids (popular family of aquarium fishes (e.g. jack dempseys)
    native to Africa & the Palestine, Isreal, Syria, Lebanon (West Bank, right?) area. They are a very popular aquaculture species as they are pretty tolerant of poor water quality (you can cram a bunch into a tank & keep them happy & healthy) and taste great.

It will be interesting to see how the heads work!

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i've seen them in wal mart frozen whole in a bag. was like 8-10 in a bag for like 8 or 9 bucks. let us know if they work and if they do i may have to pick some up and try'em out.

7. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the coment.. Not sure i would want some rotting bait tho..LOL

8. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for that very informative analysis.. I now know what it is... I ask bill a question like that he would reply.. " Its what those dang fish commercial fisherman use " or " Its what them Pay Pond guys like " hahahaha:smile2:

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    can i have some fillets??? i love to eat talapia....

10. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

Matt i see your username is correct did you just look that up or do you know that sheet off the top of your head :confused2::confused2::confused2:

11. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana

They are very tasty.

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know that sheet, at least some of that sheet, off the top of my head.

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Tilapia is gross. :crazy:
    But if the heads work, please let us know. :smile2:

14. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Really? Gross to eat or to handle. The tilapia I've eaten have been awesome...& I'm not that crazy about fish!

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm I really that obsessed:confused2: lol!

I used to breed various types of both north and south American cichlids. Jack dempsey's were named after a famous boxer dude from back in the early 1900's - evidently because they'll kick just about anything elses arse that you put in the tank with 'em. lol.
    I never thought of usin' 'em for bait.... but- as smart and aggressive as they are, you might consider training them to knock-out flatheads so you can net them as they float to the surface :0a26: lol

16. whiteriverbigcats

State:
    Indiana

:embarassed:

17. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I'll try some. :wink: :cool2:

18. Will Fish4Food

Will Fish4Food New Member

State:
    AZ
    You might want to check your state regulations as tilapia are considered an invasive species in many places. Since the females will carry the young in thier mouths when threatened it's possible the heads could have some live fry in them. But considering Indiana's cool weather there's not too much of a chance that they would get established unless near a warm water discharge from a power plant or something. Better safe than sorry.

Anyway, here in AZ tilapia are established in most of the canals and lakes. I sometimes go to the local canal and catch 3"-5" tilapia on bits of nightcrawler and have had good luck using them as live bait for bass and channel cats. But have never tryed using larger ones as cut bait.

19. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    To eat. I'll take some grilled catfish anyday over tilapia. :wink:

20. perrycounty.in

State:
    Indiana
    You think them bad boys are tough enough to live after 5 days in my freezer:eek:oooh:JK
    They only get one shot then to the garden they go!!!!!!!