Taking your advice tonight!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Cat Man Joe, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks to everyone who's help out in my pursuit to land a large channel by using cutbait and live bait! I'm going out tonight, as long as the thunderstorms hold off, and I plan on taking your advice. I'm gonna fish with a live bullhead ( cutting the fins off for a blood trail ) and a live gill possibly ( cutting the tailfinn off too ). I'm also gonna try a new spot that my mother-in-laws boyfriend told me about. Hopefully I'll land a PB tonight and have some pics to show off. Thanks again to those who helped.

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    Good luck! Hope you nail some big cats!

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck buddy, sounds like you got the recipe for success.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    luck be with you on your quest bro.

6. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Good Lucky Joe! Keep us posted.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    "Get Ur Done Joe". :lol: Catch that PB. Don't forget to share your pics.:smile2:

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    Hope you catch a huge one.:lol:

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good luck. Let us know how you do!

10. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Good luck Joe! Hopefully you'll find the big cats tonight.

11. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Good luck, hope u land the big one!!!:big_smile:

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, I went out tonight. Didnt stay but about 6 hours. Started out at the spot I was told to try and had absolutely no luck, couldnt even catch gill for bait. We went to a spot weve never fished before and after about 15 min. I thought I had found my new favorite spot and for a second my new PB. I had a cat hit HARD, pulled my rod outta the holder and as soon as I went to set the hook my line snapped just like that. I still had high hopes after that but without being able to catch any bait fish I was down to Sonnys for the night. I ended up catching 2. One about 3# and one around 2#. I ended up leaving around midnight because I could here BIG cats hitting all over, and could hear a guy I met last weekend in his boat landing nice cats. He pulled up to me and said he had about 6 he had kept, the smallest was 5#....! Here I am fishing not far from him and Im lucky to get a few bites and hes tearing them up. I got frustrated and left.:sad2: Simply put the cats didnt want my prepared bait, they wanted his shad. Unfortunately, fishing from the bank makes it hard to castnet for shad. Impossible when you factor in that all the spots you can fish from the bank are laid with large rocks for errosion control. I dont much feel like ripping up a net every time I throw it. What can you do eh? Sorry I dont have any new pics for you guys. I thought from about 5 second there I would. This isnt the type of post I wanted to make but thanks for the support and well wishes everyone!

13. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    That just kind of gets it don't it. I bet you already have your real re-strung and are ready to go back out. My friends and I catch chubs in creeks on rod and reel on our way to the river. Worst part is keeping them alive on our way. I'm like you. I have no boat so I'm stuck on the bank. I am going to give a casting net a try sometime down at the river.

Thanks for the update!

14. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Thats a bummer the other day. I had a huge strike on my rod it was something pretty decent. The whole process lasted maybe about 5 or six seconds then nothing. When i took the line out the water the clip on my leader had opened. Not sure if I didnt close it right or it was that huge that it popped it open. Hmmmm I wonder could o:confused2:f have been my trophy fish.

15. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sorry to hear that maybe u get em next time.