taking young kids catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Oct 23, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :big_smile:My son is only 18 months old, but when he gets 3 or 4 years old I would like to start taking him catfishing with me..for two reasons.

One to get him aquainted with the outdoors, and 2 i would have more times to fish becuae by taking him it would give my wife a break, and I would not feel so quilty by leaving him all the time.

But I river fish, and there is always danger of a young child falling into the water, especially if I am fighting a big flathead..I would have to have my eye on him all the time.

SO is here any right answer? SHoluld I put a rope on him and time him to a tree? :big_smile: OR AM i JUST JUMPING THE GUN A LITTLE BIT:wink:

My stepson is a couch potatoe and wont leave the house and would not fish if I paied him, I am determined my son is going to experince the outdoors and the wonderfull sport of fishing.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jack i actually had my boy fall into the river while fishing. that same scenario you mentioned! he was about 2 or 3 when it happened. i had a cat on and was watching him down the bank about 30ft. he was trying to catch a frog or something and over the bank he went. i hit the release on my reel and ran over to get him. when i got there he was laying on a root the came out then back in just like an arm put there to catch him. not even a drop of mud on him and he was laughing! we were in a bay fishing so it wouldnt have been like heavy current danger. it still scared me, as you can imagine. i would wait till he is old enough to listen to you, but not old enough to ignore you. lol if your worrying about it now then i think you will be fine when the day comes brother.

3. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jack,

Thing that I always though about was ,it only takes a split second for any thing to happen and the best thing that I did was make them wear their PFD and that will give you a little peace of mind

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Like Harold said. A PFD is a must. Me,I wouldn't tackle somethin like that solo. Set the couch on fire and get the other one motivated. My bottom line is no way solo for a gig like that. Ya wanna get em used to the outdoors and fishin. One word "BLUE GILLS" When young they want action to keep that little pea brain active and focused. Get em out to a good honey hole and keep em busy before ya move em up to the big leagues. Good luck to ya. :wink:

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Harold you took my line again,we must think alot alike:wink:

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have taken my son who is 3 down to the water a few times, not to fish, but just to get used to it. He is already in love with the water and especially boats. Whenever I am working on mine, he has to be right there with me. I have taken him to catch bait a few times, he loves it which is a good sign. He hates wearing the PDF but oh well. We were catching shad and sticking them in a bucket full of water, and he was able to reach in and grab those things by the tail and pick them up! On the first try every time! I can't even do that, so he is a fisherman in the making. A couple more years I think though before I start taking him with me on the boat, he likes pressing buttons if you know what I mean...:smile2:

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Better be safe than sorry, so ROPE HIM!

I'm sure you can go to some store and buy a more child friendly "rope" too. Maybe somekind of children leash?

8. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i take my grandaughter who is only 2, i have a pfd that she can move around in quite well, so she doesnt mind too much, except when its really hot, but i just tell her if we take it off we go home, she will usually last 2-3 hrs, i have the cat poles out and she has a small pole for bait :wink:

9. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My son is 4 and I have often thought about taking him to the river with me, but he is a wild 4 year old boy. He thinks that running wild is the best thing ever. So he is my bait fisherman but just not ready for the river. Plus I never catch any fish so I am sure he would be bored out of his gourd.

10. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Put him in a PFD to start with. Better safe than sorry. Like BG said take him somewhere where you know he can catch bluegills or small bass.Thats the best way to get him interested in fishing.If you take him cattin and catch nothing he could get bored real quick.Got to keep interest upHe's not to young, just got to pick your spots more carefully.

11. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Short rope! Is what im voting for! My daughter, shes fearless. She has no fear of the water. She grew up at apple valley lake, so i have to keep a good eye on her. She learned to swim at 3. Swimming lessons are always good too. Every bit helps!

12. normmouth

normmouth New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I first took my son out when he was 2.5 (Now 4). PFD is a must. He usually lasts an hour and a half. I mostly take him to spots where I know he can catch a ton of gills. There are a few kids only ponds around Akron that I take him that are stocked with channels. Nothing like watching a small child with a sponge bob pole fighting a 3# Channel.

13. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    WHEN MY OLDEST WAS SIX MONTHS OLD WE WERE CAMPED ON THE RIVER, OF COURSE HIS MOTHER WAS WITH ME , BUT IT WOULD SEEM WE NEVER LEFT FOR EIGHTEEN YEARS.SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY. HIS LOVE FOR FISHING AND THE OUTDOORS WOULD NOT ALLOW ME TO LEAVE HIM AT HOME ,WHEN I WENT HE WENT, RIGHT DOWN ON THE BANKS OF THE SCIOTO. HE ALWAYS WORE HIS LIFE VEST AND NOT ONCE DID I EVER PULL HIM OUT OF THE RIVER. BUT HE LISTENED WELL, WHEN HE WAS YOUNG ANYWAY, AND WE HAD LOTS OF TALKS ABOUT THE DANGERS OF THE RIVER. TO THIS DAY HE HAS A HEALTHY RESPECT FOR IT AND KNOWS IT ONLY TAKES A SECOND EVEN FOR A GROWNUP. WHEN HE WAS YOUNG I SPENT A LOT MORE TIME HELPING HIM THAN I DID FISHING BUT I SAY NOW IT WAS WORTH IT ALL. MY GIRL DOES NOT FISH MUCH AND MY TWELVE YEAR OLD BOY IS INTERESTED SOMETIMES SO NOW I JUST MOSTLY FISH AND THINK BACK ABOUT HOW IT USED TO BE TO HAVE A KID TO FART AROUND WITH WHILE WAITING FOR THE FISH TO BITE.

14. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I started taking my daughter when she was 3, and yes you have to keep an eye on them at all times. They are very curious at that age and have no worries cause daddy will be there to help them when they get into trouble.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I took my daughter when she was around a year old for the first time. Of course she was wearing her lil jacket and mom was also with us.. I don't think you can start them too young, and can't wait for the son and get him going also.. My daughter just turned two, and talks all the time about fishing, and my boat. I think you just need to show them its a part of family life and they will accept it..... rollo

16. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rollo you watch when netting those things ,they can get pretty wild.

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just wanted to share this pic of my daughter netting a channel for me. She was 6 at the time.

Attached Files: