Taking the next step

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've been looking for a Hooka dive system for under water detecting, and I think I found one. This isn't the exact one, but just like it, in used condition.

It comes with one regulator, reserve tank, and 50' hose. A second line and regulator can be added by putting in a "T" fitting.

http://www.keeneeng.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=T80GH&Category_Code=ACS.

I figure Jim Marshall and I can go diving for those big Bluecats and hook Judy up with some good catches:big_smile:

Hey Paul, you into diving?

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Bob, we are game buddy, bring it on. LOL We still haven't used our detector much at all. They are still holding the water back here but hopefully they will drop it soon so we can hit the swimming holes and start swinging. The way you are going finding all that gold, you are going to be a rich man before long. I know that has got to be a great feeling finding gold like that. Buddy there is no telling what you will find with the Hooka outfit.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, be looking for a package soon.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    It arrived today. Looks and runs great.

4hp Honda
    T-80 air compressor
    Reserve tank
    50' of air hose.

Now comes the part where I've got to get the rest of the rig

Float tube for engine and compressor (11:22 truck tire inner tube)
    Platform insert for float tube
    Breathing regulator
    Full face mask
    Wet suit ( Size lard ass)
    Dive boots ( Size 12)
    Weight belt
    Under water camera for filming the fish eye view of what ya'll are doing (Now that would be a hoot)

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Forgot the pictures,

Attached Files:

6. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, you are getting serious about your treasure hunting buddy. That is a neat looking machine. I bet that would be a lot of fun to do, however, I am like Charlie the Tuna, a chicken of the sea.LOL

No package yet, must be slow because of the Christmas packages.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man im excited i read this one book by peter benchley called the deep and i think they used one of those things. it sounds like a heck of a lot of fun let us know what you find!

8. buzzgator

buzzgator New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    BoB hit the Cooper river with that setup artifacts and sharks teeth. Always wanted something like that now ya got me thinking and the wife aint gonna like it...

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I'm pretty hyped about it myself.

There's alot of physical dangers involved with diving. I believe I'll get a dive certification in time. It'll get used for everything related to shallow diving. Metal detecting, boat work, and a possible golf ball retrieval rig:lol:

I had that sucker running before the UPS truck was outta sight.

Jim, catch up with your postal carrier and ask about a package, it was sent out over a week ago.

10. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Bob, that looks like a great rig. I see those guys on the outdoor channel using rigs like that to look for gold. Good luck with it and be safe.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Folks, I found a video ya'll might be interested in. It covers the use of a Minelab Excallibur underwater detector.

That's the one I'm going for when the dive system is complete.

The Minelab Soveriegn GT is what I'm using now, with a WOT (Wondeful Orange Thing) 15" coil. The Excallibur and Soveriegn work identically except the Excallibur is waterproof.

Cost of the Excal is 1095.00, Soveriegn is 699.00 w/optional coil add another 200.00. Watch the video and you'll see why I use Minelab.

http://detectorx.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=835

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The hookah's about ready. Got the regulator and some maintenance items in today.

I got the Excalibur 1000 in a few days ago and test ran it on the beach today to get familiar with it. Picked up 22 coins in about a 50' stretch. Total, 1.55, it's got a long way to go before it pays for itself.

I'm looking for the wet suit, boots, gloves, and mask, then I'm off to Tn to drag Jim Marshall to the swimming hole, creek with gold in it and the gem mines.

Hey Jim, grab judy and get her out of that truck, I ain't ready yet:lol:

13. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bob, come on over and we will sure give it a try. I was going to ask you how you got the signal when you were under water. Does it have a flashing light or something? I wish we had DSL so we could watch the video but we would have to start downloading tonight and watch it tomorrow night. Buddy, I would be like a kid with a new toy with all that new gear. I hope you find so much treasure that you have to quit your day job and go into it full time. There is no telling what you are going to find out there. One thing is for sure not many people will have tried the spots that you can get to. Now if I can get Judy out of the blame truck, she has her seat belt locked and won't give me the key.LOL

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  15. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Looking good Bob, I think dive certifacation is a must. When I took it it cost $250 and for another $100 you could have private lessons where you could pick time and place. you can complete course in 2 weekends if you read the book all week to finish. Scuba is easy, However The classes are 5% about scuba and 95% about how to live...how long you can stay down, what to do when you run out of air, any and all emergencies are very well covered. and to boot... when you certified you can rent equipment and go to 130 foot. Hookah limited by hose, you cant just buy a longer hose. the deeper you go.. the bigger compressor you need to force air down. thats why hookah systems say" 1 person can dive 50' 2 can dive 25' compressor is matched to depth. Also, ocean is warm from top to bottom from curent from gulf stream but when you get in a lake the thermalcline can be unbearable. I useally hit first one about 15' deep it's cold...in middle of summer. then there is another around 25-30' I cant take it in a wet suit. the water is extremely cold. Dry suit would be needed to hangout on bottom. Dry suit cost around $1000. My wife and I dive we love it. and cant wait for it to warm back up. You seem to like the scuba thing so you should really get certified and see the "Other World"!! just $250 and your certified Open Water Scuba Diver. good luck with new gear. if you have question let me know if I can help.

16. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I guess I should add, Dive certification $250. But it's like fishing,hunting and harleys. there is no limit to what it can cost. eqipment rental is reasonable. $15 for wet suit (but I bet sombody done pee pee in it) so might want to buy your own. Tanks are about $5 and about same to fillup. to buy one $160, We are going next weekend to fla. my wife and I have our own equipment so we will only have to buy air...which is free on this trip. but our son is going he's 13 we rented everything but wetsuit for him and it was $35. to dive lakes and such you need diver down flags and dry suit would be nice. you can rent them also but to rent a dry suit they make you get "dry suit certified" you dont have to if you own your suit but make you if you want to use theirs. like I said cost start around $1000 for suit. We look for deals on stuff like wet suit, fins,mask and such but only buy new stuff for regulator, tanks, BCD. tanks have to be inspected every year or they wont fill it, so tank rental not that bad idea. I know your just planning hookah right now but it's like going right up to the gate then not walking thru. They also have a scuba starter course where a dive master will take you around and let you get used to it. thats to see if you really like it enough to take class. it cost about $50 they dont let you out of their sight. but when your done you don't get certification or anything.
    I just didnt want to leave last post as $250 all it cost. I have about $2000 worth of dive stuff and there is many more things I want. like the underwater vehicles. cost between $500-1000 and go about 3mph. but you can cover alot of ground with it. also dream of buying compressor that would fill my own tanks. but that price is crazy. like any hobby price is unlimited.
    thanks for letting me ramble,
    Jerry

17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks for the advice and the offer to help, Jerry.

This rig is just for shallow water detecting. I'm well aware of the dangers of diving and do plan on getting certified.

I'll show you how to use the Excal, and you can take it on a dive or two:big_smile:

18. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno

May end up having to do the same thing one day if I really get inot this and into deep water fopr now i'll stick to the shallows :tounge_out:

Have fun Bob , stay safe and hope you find lots of buried treasures look foreward to see all of your finds.

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I made a modification to the hookah rig by mounting the reserve tank to the unit instead of it floatong free.

I friend of mine made the S/S staps and I did the rest.

Got the regulator in and now I'm shopping around for the mask, wet suit, boots and gloves.

Attached Files:

20. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Have you tired the hookah out yet Bob?