Taking the girls out tommorrow

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by tallbump, Jul 1, 2007.

1. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, so if all goes well I am taking out both girls tomorrow night. This will be the first time the 8 yr old will be out. I'll probably take them to a Laguna on our Peninsula. I am sure there are plenty of Bluegill and what not for them to catch. I'd really like them to catch a few so they have fun with it. of course, I'll be trying to catch Mr. Whiskers, which I know are there. Actually, that's the first time place I ever caught a fish, and it was a catfish. Really one of the ONLY memories I have of my father, but that is another story.
    So, anyway, my question is, what is best for me to get the girls for bait? Just some regular old worms on a plain old hook? Speaking of, the first time we went out I was losing worms like crazy. Any one got a pic or diagram or something of the "right" way to do it? And, is one type of worm better than another.?
    One last question, do I go with a smaller hook since the fish are only like a couple of inches long?
    I have been out 4 times now and have only gotten the one little guy in my pic, and would really like to get a few more so the kids get interested in it.
    Thanks for any advice.

2. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Brian what works the best for me is a little hook about a 10 or 12 and if you have any bait shops around your area try some maggots.The bluegills love them when I go to ponds around my house this is what I use. Usally there is someone there with their kid any they see me catch bluegills one after another and they say we been here for a hour and only caught five I give them some maggots and then they start catching them also.:0a26:

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You got some good info there. Good Luck and keep us posted how you do! :big_smile:

4. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Brian
    Good for you taking the kids, they will always remember. Best of luck to you all. The 8yr old grandson, who is quite a fisherman, got out caught by his 3 yr old sister because we had only 1 cane pole, and boy was she catching. They and a 11yr old, 6yr old and 15 yr old must have caught a 100 gills, and small largemouth, most went back in, all the bass. Keep old gramps busy taking them off, bait on. We even got checked by game warden. Mostly on corn and a sm piece of worm on end of sm long shank J hook w/bobber. Try to have them keep it moving so don,t swallow too many. Luck

5. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, that's why i got back into fishing.. I needed to have something in common with my two little girls. As I said, one of my only memories of my father was him picking me up with a little tackle box and a Snoopy fishing pole, and i caught a cat fish.
    Yup, gotta drive right past a bait shop on my way to the Laguna.
    Sounds like a plan.

6. wei1

wei1 New Member

State:
    new cumberland,pa
    meal worm work to

7. hglumac

hglumac New Member

State:
    SW PA
    I take my 3yo niece fishing all the time at the pond on my fathers property which is packed to the Gills...with Gills and some stocked cats:wink:. We usually use about 1/4 of a nightcrawler on a size 6-8 hook about 18" below a small float the hook is a bit large but it keeps the 3-4" gills from swallowing so easily since 3 year olds have very poor response to a sinking bober.

The rule of thumb is when I take my neice fishing...I do not even try to fish myself. But it is always a fun time!

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Good luck, hope yall get some fish.

9. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks everyone. I don't plan on doing too much fishing myself. In fact I'd be fine without doing any as long as the girls are catching some. If I am ever really concerned with cathing some myself, I'll go without the girls.
    Oh, yeah, I'll be sure to let you know how we make out.

10. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well, I didn't even see a catfish tonight, but my wife did manage to get this one for my 3yr old.

Not a great pic because all we had was a camera phone.
    We went back to our same spot and ended up using meal worms because they were the cheapest.
    This was our only catch tonight, but it's better than not catching anything at all.
    One cool side note, I stopped at the bait store on the way to the pond. Was planning on using my debit catch to pay since I had no cash. They said they had a $10.00 minimum.:confused2:
    Well, I was going to go out and check the car to see if I had any change to scrape together, and the owner stops me and gives me the meal worms and tells me to just pay next time. :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: Wow, what a great first experience in this place. You know I will be buying all of my bait there in the future.
    My wife ended up having the change so I went back in and paid, but that was a great offer. If anyone ever comes to Erie I would highly recommend going to the bait Store on the Peninsula.

Attached Files:

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Brian - Welcome to the B.O.C.!:0a25::0a23: Great job getting the girls involved in fishing. I agree with catchinghogs on using maggots. Poke about 4 of them on a #10 or #12 hook with a small bobber about 2 feet above the bait. Waxworms work well also! Keep us posted on the success of the young ladies!:big_smile:

12. tallbump

tallbump New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks. I just wish I knew more about fishing so I could teach them better. Looks like I found a good place to learn though.