Taking my fishing to a new level

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Tangler, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    So i decided to up the ante yesterday by buying a boat! got a 16ft Glasstream. prety good deal on this thing since it neded the new carpeting that comes with it installed. ill be restricted to tappan lake until i get a smaller boat motor i guess but thats ok. 88hp evinrude on the back, 2 livewells, rod boxes, depth finder, trailer, and everything else i need to put together a good boat.

I post this to start a conversaton on boat fishing vs.shore fishing. what are the perks of each and which do you prefer?

o, and if you guys dont think it can get any worse with the whole cabin fever bit, try buying a new boat and see how impatient you are then!

Tang

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ill give you a perk Ryan, when you see those guys/gals on the shore they are fishing at a spot that more than likely has been fished before cause they either cannot go anywhere else or its close to the road etc. When you go out on your boat you can pretty much go anywhere that it will float and not hit bottom LOL. You see a spot you want to go to, you fire up the engine and go or as close to it as casting distance.

When you look at the shore, say you are in a gully that is surrounded by steep cliffs that could not in any way be traversed by a shore bound person and you plop in your bait and catch that biggun.

Good luck I cant wait till I can post this type of post that I have just bought a boat (hopefully next year)

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Even with a boat you will still get the urge to fish the bank. Just wait till your setting in the middle of the lake and remember how good it was to stare into the fire, setting in the lawn chair drinking a beer waiting for the clicker to go wild.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ya but with a boat he can take the wood to a spot that can only be reached by boat and still enjoy:wink:

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ryan, a boat does make you more versatile. When I fish the river systems I fish from a boat. It makes it soo much easier to hit spot to spot and fish for active fish rather than wait for them. I can hit a dozen spots in a nights time, and catch numbers of fish by using the boat. The boat also can be used to get to destinations you may want to bankfish from also, that are simply not accessible or too far to walk. When I lake fish I always bank fish due to how calm the water gets often at night, and not wanting to spook fish by clanking around in a boat. So, I use my boat for them reasons to get me from the ramp to the destination. You will appreciate the boat trust me! It will make things alot easier on you, and give you more options. Congrats,,, rollo

6. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I like boats.That way I can go to areas that are land lock.On the river. But both of my Big fish were caught.When I was fishing from the bank.

7. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I prefer to bank fish unless I'm in someone elses boat on the river. I once won a tourney by bank fishing, while everyone else didn't catch very many fish while fishing from boats. 2 bass for 2 people, 1 crappie for another, a small catfish for another. I ended up with 2 small catfish & a 3rd that was 5-6#. My 1st tourney, my only & my last! Can't stand sore losers!:sad2:

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i rather bank fish not having the electronics or the mobility of the boat makes me look for structure maker me know the river i fish better. My instincts have become sharper since I have been catfishing the great miami watching not only for the fish but total outdoor picture My outdoor instincts have not been sharper for several years. bank fishing has done this for me rick

9. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I notice you didn't mention a trolling motor in your description of your boat. That's one item I would never be without. Two main reasons. #1 saves your butt if the motor fails. #2 As long as you don't put your big motor down in the run position, you can still use your boat on horsepower restricted waters, including those restricted to electric motors only.
    I have to agree with all the advantages of having a boat. I got one because my wife is disabled and couldn't get to the banks very well, but she LOVES to fish. It just plain makes life SOoo much easier and access to nearly everywhere is so much greater.
    Make safety your greatest priority and enjoy your new found freedom. Catch a bunch of 'em too.

10. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    in my opinion a boat is way more versatile , but I know people that have fished banks their whole life and done plenty good.the boat takes more preperation. ,the ramp fuel, park fees, ect,ect, ect but it seem more relaxing to me. when I deer hunt I like to keep my options open same with fish huntin

11. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good luck with the new boat! You can cover a lot more water than bank fishing. If the fish aren't biting here ,fire it up try over there for a little while.I love my boat wouldn't have it any other way.

12. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    congrats on the new toy, i love fishin out of the boat but there are a few spots on the river i fish that i can't get the boat into and still have to hike in and fish the bank, infact these spots seem to be less pressured and some of my favorite spots

13. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi

Yes there was a trolling motor included...not sure of the make of it but i know it needs a new prop.:crazy: But I definitely wouldnt have bought it if it didnt have a trolling motor. Its also a deep-v fiberglass boat. I didnt mention that either:cool2:

14. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    It sounds like a great deal,,, set-up wise.. Congrats..
    I've got access to a boat for this season, and have been giving it shakedown cruises!!.. Taking me awhile to get used to how to deal with everything, and still fish!! But, Like a lot of others have said,, It should allow me to hit more spots, or previously unaccessable spots!!
    Good luck!

15. Tangler

Tangler New Member

State:
    Sugarcreek, Ohi
    yea, thats what i was telling my old lady....its been so long since ive been out on a boat let alone launch one and drive it, lol. but im sure that ill have it in the water enough that ill be proficient at it in no time:smile2::smile2:

16. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think my catches went up 500% when I was fishing from a boat. Of course my bank spots might just suck.