taking my boat to the river for the first time

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by elizabuilt, Jul 31, 2008.

1. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    I am going to the Ohio river this weekend with my boat. I have never had a boat on a river. Any advice or tips to make my experience easier or safer would be greatly appreciated.

2. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    Here is a picture of my boat if it makes any difference. It is set up a little different but the same boat.

Attached Files:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Don't be in a hurry. If this is your first trip may I suggest not takein any fishin gear. Spend the time learnin the river and your electronics. It will pay off in the long run. It may be tough to leave the gear home but the dividends will be great.:wink:

4. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A river's current will naturally dig a deep channel on the outside bank of nearly all bends. If you stay to the inside not only do you run the risk of hitting the point that is under water on the inside, you also have less ability to see what is around the bend in time to react, so take you time and pay attention to any ripples in the water, as they normally alert you to hazards just under the surface. Have fun.

5. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    If your out at night I would sure suggest a GPS. The fog can get pretty thick at times and it is sure nice to be able to find your way back to the docks or launch ramp. Be careful and have a safe trip!!

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    have a big good anchor and lots of rope

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Have a sharp knife with in case you have to cut the anchor rope in an emergency.

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Just be safe; safety first.

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    That's a nice lookin' boat.

The best advice I can think of is to find someone who has already paid his dues on the river to go with you and show you the ropes.

You'll never learn it all, though...there's a thousand ways the water can sneak up and bite you on the ass...just be careful, and pay attention to your surroundings.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Freddy that is a nice looking boat, and should serve you well on the river. Think safety first. "Don't forget to put the drain plug in". Enjoy.

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmm....Let's see, If you are new to the River, you may be new to Barges also.

Them puppies are huge and slow but don't let that fool ya, they can sneak up on you in a heart beat. Day or Night, clear, fog, or bad weather. Worse that trains at that they are, and just like a train, you absolutely do not want to tangle with one.

And debris. it is always a good idea to check what the weather has been upstream, and not just upstream on the big river. Flooding on the smaller tributaries can also send boat docks, logs, even whole trees, and lord knows what all, floating down at you. Always keep a close watch at speed but double up and/or slow down if you have reason to suspect trash.

And one more, Keep basic tools and duct tape with you in the boat. Seems like I was the only boat out for 50 miles most everytime I have had mechanical trouble. Along the same line, be mindful of not running your battery(s) down.

12. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunatly I didn't get to take the boat the big river this weekend, but I will soon. Our clothes dryer quit, and I have 5 kids, laundry for 7 people at the laundrymat a few times is probably half the cost of a dryer. I did make it out to the Tusc. I caught an 11# flattie, a 10# blue and some smaller channels. I have a pic posted in the ohio section. Under catfishrollo's if it was easy everyone would be doing it.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    GREAT advice from all, especially from [​IMG] Katmandeux about running the river with an experienced guide the first time.
    BB in SC