Taking catfish pictures when your by yourself

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Johnny316, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Johnny316

Johnny316 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I fish alone most of the time and I'm wondering how to take pictures without having to carry a tripod with you?

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    well there is only one other way and that is to lay the fish on the ground next to something like a cooler or dip net(so you can guage the size). i have had to resort to this several times and let me tell ya the pic is not near as memorable. also you'll have your smart alec friends saying" well whos cat was that you took a pic of?" i have a very small tripod that i bought at w.m. that works pretty well. its only around 6 or 7 inches long and can easily be stowed in your tackle bag. the thing is they dont extend so you will either have to set it on something or do what i do most of the time and just squat down on one knee and rest the fish on your knee and take the pic.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    IT IS TOUGH!!!

I am a professional photographer by trade, and even I struggle to take a good pic of a catch when alone. You can not get a good shot that shows the size well when it is laying on the deck or ground.

I have a bracket with a clamp that I can mount onto the boat, but I keep forgeting to bring it along. I can use that and the self timer on the camera to get an ok shot. I have tried holding the camera out in front of me, LOL, but when you are trying to wrangle a pissed off 8 pound channel with one hand and hold the camera with the other it gets difficult!!

4. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    John welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Johnny316

Johnny316 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Im going to head to Walmart later today and pick one up.

John

6. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I know a lot of camcorders have an infrared remote you can use to take pictures with. I don't know if any regular cameras have infrared. You have to use a tripod though.

7. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The information was useful for me also for I to fish alone most of the time thanks for the info.

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Welcome aboard John

9. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    John, welcome to the BOC. You can buy a RAM mount that you mount your camera on. They make many different types of RAM mounts. You can adjust it to any different angle. Sturdy too. Works great. Run about $30-$40. You can buy it at Rammounts.com.

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
  11. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    thank you all for this info,
    I'm tired of being called a lier about releasing 20-30lb fish.a picture is worth a million words.LOL

12. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well, having a digital camera with a timer makes it a lot easier. Find a spot in the boat to mount or set the camera during the picture. Take a few practice shots to see exactly where you need to be with the fish so you'll be prepared. When you do have the fish in the boat, lay it where you'll be for the pic the go set up the camera and timer and get back fast get the fish and smile:big_smile:. If you don't have a camera with a timer, then take a picture of the fish with something else in the picture for size comparison. Another thing I've did several times is get another boater or someone on the bank to take pictures for me. My second biggest fish ever (my profile pic) was caught while I was fishing alone. A gentleman who lives on the river was outside and I hollered and asked if he minded taking some pics for me. He took some great pics for me and most folks don't mind taking pics, in fact the love seeing a big ol' cat.

13. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    tough job to get u & the fish too !!!

14. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I wish I had the problem more often! I think I'll mount a small plastic box cut out to fit my camera to the back of the front seat pointed toward the back of the boat. A tripod works well on land but leaving the camera in an unstable position while I clumsily stomp around the boat would make me right nervous. With a tripod you still have to get it aimed right. I probably have something around the house that would work. Free solution!!! Now if I can just catch something worth a picture.
    :smile2:

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    John, welcome to te BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web!

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Take a big mirror with you. Hold the fish up take the pic into the mirror and you got it. lol. Just kidding. Ram mounts is best, but, you can get a mount that hunters use for their video camera to take videos of their hunt and adapt it to your boat. The screw mounts on cameras and recorders are the same size. Just remember never shoot into the sun. Get the sun behind the camera, or off to one side.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    AwShucks, just add 20 pounds to the fish and put it back in the water. That way when people call you a liar, you won't get as offended, but they will still believe you caught a big fish. LOL

18. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Let me mention first that this is a very high tech method, so it may not be for everyone...

I put my bait cooler in the front of my boat, put my digital camera on timer mode (10 second delay), try to gauge the right angle, hit the button, run to the back, pick up the fish and pose. I usually take about 3 pics just to make sure.

Usually I'm more worn out after I release a decent fish (40 lbs +), not from the fight but from the photo session. However, I've managed to take some pretty decent photos. I fish alone quite a bit and this has worked fairly well.

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use the cooler on the tailgate method my self...lol:smile2::smile2: Before I had digital I would just use a tape measure beside the fish. You can always find an empty pop or beer can, but don't throw it back on the ground put it in the trash or take it home.:cool2: Folding money works good too.:wink:

20. FishOnChuck

FishOnChuck New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    On a pontoon (flat deck), I just set the camera on an ice chest and use the self-timer.