Taking apart the steering "box"

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BoxxerBoyDrew, Jan 30, 2008.

1. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Hey Guys,

I am rebuilding my BassTracker, and Have built a new console. I am trying to keep the holes down to a min., so I was wondering about taking apart the steering "box" so I can just have a hole just big enough to fit the cable nut threw. so is there anything I should be aware of when seperating the 2 halves? It is the type with a corkscrew type cable inside the outer jacket that is moved by a gear(I guess).

Thanks for ANY help Ya'll can provide!!
    Drew

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    seems to me I coudn't take the worm gear apart. I had to use whatever size hole was in the existing console and wiggle that sucker around quite a bit.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Not sure exactly what you're asking, but if you're just trying to get the cable out of the steering box, all you should have to do is undo the nut and pull it out. I had to reverse mine because I wanted to route the cable the other way and that's all I did. I didn't disassemble the entire steering box. Good Luck!

Branden

4. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Yes that is exactly what I am trying to do, but there is a "washer"?? attached to the end of the cable that won't let me pull the cable all the way out! I will get some pics and post them thisafternoon!

Thanks,
    Drew