Taking a step toward tying

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by blindfly69, Jul 17, 2006.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    well till now i've used flies that i've picked up from my uncle and at stores..i love to flyfish......not as much as catfishin but still. anyway im thinkin about getting into fly tying since mine have gotten pretty ragged and lost to fish and trees......do you think its a waste of time or should i stick with store bought flies?

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    It doesn't have to be expensive to start. Try it you will be surprised at what you can up with .

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i've been looking at kits and materials and i think its gonna be worth the money

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Start simple, with a kit that comes with vise and basic tools and a video of how to get started, then just make wooley buggers ( its a jig basically) and ee if you like it, it does grow on you and even though I tie most of the stuff I use, I still have a few trout flies that I can never tie to look right so I still buy them. As long as you dont go overboard, tying can save you some money, thats for sure.

Good luck!!

Salmonid

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nothing beats the statisfaction of catching a fish on something you made. The only thing better is catching a fish on a fly you tied and a rod you built!

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have over a grand in my tie box. BUT I started out with a 40 dollar kit. If I cant get out to fish or just nottin to do around the house I go back in the room and start tieing. I have learned tieing from looking at a fly book (flies for sell) for me it was a Dan Baily fly catolog. I just tied and tied till I made um look right slowly I picked up on correct ways of doing things and faster ways. for me my thrill comes from my 7 year old son askin me for one of my flies because he says he knows he'll catch something. even if it comes to where I cant get out to fish I will always tie expesualy if my son keeps asking for them!

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    any ideas on where to get a kit? i cant find one around here.....

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Well if you enjoy tying flies and knowing you can catch fish with those flies then I would think it is time well spent.

9. jtfoodguy

jtfoodguy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    First of all I want to say fly tying is fantastic, you can tie your own flies and you can try different things to find new and exciting ways to fool fish. I was teaching a fly tying class a few years ago and I had a seven year old ask what all you could make flies out of and I said anything, so he proceeded to dig lint out of his pocket and I showed him how to dub it into a fly body and he ended up catching a trout on it later that day. I enjoy tying flies almost as much a fishing. On the question on what fly tying kit to buy I would start out with one that comes with a book or video like the one's I've listed below.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0036749313259a&navCount=2&podId=0036749&parentId=cat20532&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat20431&catalogCode=IG&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20532
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DELUXE-FLY-TYING-KIT-NIB_W0QQitemZ320007924852QQihZ011QQcategoryZ44915QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

10. jtfoodguy

jtfoodguy New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    By the way Nate if you buy a kit without a video let me know I would be glad to loan you one.

Good luck
    John

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    BEFORE U BUY THAT KIT HOLD ON!!!

i would not advise on getting a kit...
    i first started out with one and i wish i hadnt...

but first i would get a book or somethin about flytying and learn what u need for what kinda flys u wanna tie...

but here are a few things u will need for a beginer: Vise, Thread(i use UNI thread pretty good), Hooks(there are a ZILLION different kinds), fly head cement, sicissors, BOBBIN(for the thread), ect

IF U HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT FLY TYING PM me
    I CAN HELP GET U IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION IF U WANT

but flytying is great,, and really rewarding when u catch a fish on a fly u tied.

again if u have any more questions ASK

Jeff

12. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    I agree with Jeff. Don't buy a kit, go to a fly shop and tell them you want to start tying and ask for the materials for 1 or 2 flies, the tools, and an instruction book. If you buy a kit you usually end up with a bunch of stuff your never going to use and unless you buy a quality

13. Nate_Evans

Nate_Evans New Member

State:
    Stafford, VA
    I agree with Jeff. Don't buy a kit, go to a fly shop and tell them you want to start tying and ask for the materials for 1 or 2 flies, the tools, and an instruction book. If you buy a kit you usually end up with a bunch of stuff your never going to use and unless you buy a quality kit ($100+) the materials suck.

14. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    No, fly tying is not a waste of time. It is a very rewarding way to spend your time, if you fly fish enough to justify it. If you are just an occasional fly fishermen, though, you are probably better off to just buy the few flies that you need, rather than getting into the expense of buying a decent vice, hooks and all the materials required for the types of flies you would want to tie.

I have tied flies for over 30 years and I have really enjoyed it and the results I have had fishing with them. I came up with a few of my own fly designs for a couple of streams that I fish that have proven their worth time and time again.

It is extremely rewarding to catch a fish on a fly that you tie and especially when it is one of your own design. But, again I say, if you don't fly fish that often, it may not be worth the expense to you.