Taking a mentally handicapped young man fishing

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bigbaldcountryboy, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Bigbaldcountryboy

Bigbaldcountryboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I lost my mom a couple of weeks ago and fishing has been good therapy for me. Well,God sent me a new friend (neighbor)and his name is Justin. He's 19 and mentally handicapped and comes from a broken home and his Dad never has the time for him and really no one who pays him any attention. Justin has never been fishing before today and I now have another fishing partner. Justin took 2 catfish, one 2lb blue and a 5lb channel and he lost a few too. You would have thought these fish were 100lbs! I couldn't have slapped the smile off his face. I'm going to show him and read to him all the post's I get back on his pictures it will mean SOOO much to him.

Attached Files:

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sorry to hear about you mom, but I bet she is smiling looking down upon you and what you are doing.

Fine thing you are taking the time to do there brother. :wink:

We all get so wrapped in ourselves that we many times overlook what we can do to make someones elses day.

Justin is lucky to have you as a friend, but I bet you are probably more lucky to have him as one. :wink:

3. Topname

Topname New Member

State:
    nc
    Sorry about your loss but its good you have a friend to help you through it

4. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sorry for your loss it a good thing your are doing,i also have a friend who is handicapped we have a blast on the water when he get a big one hope your boat will hold the smile on his face

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    SORRY BOUT THE LOSS, I TOO LOST MY MOTHER LAST YEAR & FISHING BRINGS ME HAPPINESS CUZ SHE KNEW HOW MUCH IT MEANT TO ME, BUT AS SAID ABOVE I'M SURE SHE IS SMILING DOWN UPON YOU, & JUSTIN AS WELL.

JUSTIN IF UR READING THIS, GO GET U A REAL BIG HOG BROTHER THAT WILL PUT A SMILE LIKE NO OTHER ON UR FACE BUDDY!!!!!!LISTNE TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY & PAY ATTENTION & I'M SURE HE WILL GET U A REAL BIG FISH ONE DAY, HAVE PATIENCE & UR DAY WILL COME, ONE U WILL NEVER FORGET, THEN U WILL HAVE A FISH STORY TO TELL ALL UR BUDDIES & FAMILY.GOD BLESS, THAT IS A WONDERFUL THING UR DOING, LATER WILLCAT........

6. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Bob, it takes a real Man to do what you did. A lot of people think these Special needs people don't have the ability to think or have feelings. I have a Special needs child and even though he can't talk, you can see the Love and affection in the expressions on his face that lets you know he has the ability to know you care for him.Here is a pic of my Little Man...

Attached Files:

7. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Bob, my condoleces on your mom's passing. That's a tough situation to deal with and I'm glad that spending time on the water helps you with it.

Like CatfishHunter, my wife and I have a special needs kid (he's 32 years old now and wouldn't like being called a kid, but that's how I think of him). He'd rather fish than do anything and his personal best is a 25 lb. blue from Santee.

I want to join James in applauding your spending time with Justin. Special needs people of all ages are just like the rest of us...they enjoy getting to know people, have unique personalities and like to be treated as normally as their situations allow. Once you get to know one of them, you've got a friend for life.

I hope some others who read this board will consider doing the same thing you did...sharing our hobby with someone who's developmentally disabled can really be rewarding.

Thanks for sharing the story with us and I hope you'll continue to take Justin out every once in a while.

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bob, i'm very sorry for the loss of your mother. The void looks as if it will be filled with your new found friend. I'm happy for both of you and i hope this friendship last forever. There is a special place in heaven for the people with special needs and also for the ones who provide for them. Reps to ya Bro.:wink:

9. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Amen, in todays age of superconvenience and computer isolation, its good to see fishing bringing people together.

10. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Justin them are some nice fish you caught.:smile2:

11. j simpson

j simpson New Member

State:
    nc
    Sorry for your loss Bob, it is truly a special thing you are doing taking your new friend fishing.I had a brother who had downs,and we lost him 2 years ago, he loved to fish, they are very amazing people and alot smarter than people give them credit for.wished I would have took him more in his later years. When he was born doctor called my parents in and said you should put him in a home because he would never walk and probably not live past three years. Well dad got up and told doctor to go to hell and said he would bring mark back when he became a doctor lol.He did walk took 3 years and he lived to be 53 and brought so much life to our family over the years, they have a strong will to live and enjoy things much more than alot of people will ever know, I could just see the smile on your friends face when he caught the first one, bet you never forget it, what a great person you are, thanks Bob and hope you have many more good trips with your new friend. Jeff

12. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Justin,

That's two nice fish you caught. Do you mind telling me where your fishing hole is at?

13. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    I've taught him well, he said at the lake..lol

14. Bigbaldcountryboy

State:
    North Carolina
    Justin said EVERY fish is a trophy to him, size doesn't matter they are all fun to catch. When he does catch a big one though( he already lost a dandy) he will get the "monster fever" He watch's alot of T.V. shows and he thought you were suppose to make the fish skip across the top of the water ( bass fisherman). He said that they are missin out in the fun of fishing, kinda make you think huh?

15. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Im sorry to hear about your mom passing away im so happy that they have good men out there like you that would take people with disabilities fishing with you, sounds like you have your self one fine fishing buddy there, I bet you made his day by taking him fishing with you, thanks for everything your doing to help someone else enjoy there selfs, im proud to call you a brother. Keep up the good work.

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    My condolences to you. My dad, who taught me most everything I know about fishin' and hunting passed two years ago. Very tough to say the least. Your deeds are honorable and your heart is pure. I salute you, sir!
    BB in SC

17. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Bob all I can say is GOD bless you!! Very sorry to hear about your mother.... please accept my sympathy's........ thats awesome that you've found such a special fishin buddy....... from the look on his face he had a blast...... just shows how much a person takes for granted the fact that we're healthy and can fish when we want......Thank you Bob for taking time out of lifes busy schedule to make one young man feel like a king for a day!! :big_smile:

18. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My condolences for the loss of your mother. Bob, it looks as if your mom has sent you someone to help ease your pain. A companion for you to teach, nurture, and company to enjoy while time heals your wounds. She's probably looking down on ya from up above, with pride, seeing how you have taken this young man under your wing. Good luck and God speed brother.

Jason, Congrats on a great day fishin! Those are some nice fish. You got a good friend in Bob, take good care of him.

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Bob sorry to hear of your loss.

JUSTIN Please take it easy on Bob while on the water, Yes every now and then you are just gonna have to let him catch some kind of fish :wink: On the other hand, maybe not! :big_smile: Very Very Nice fish Justin, way to go.... my man, way to go!

Bless ya Bob, mother sent :big_smile:

20. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    Have fun Justin and Thanks Bob