Taking a Kid fishing... Take more poles!!!

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by TNBigCat, Sep 4, 2006.

1. TNBigCat

TNBigCat New Member

State:
    TN
    I took my son who is now 5, fishing yesterday for about an hour. He has a small Scooby Doo fishing pole that he uses. I stopped at the bait shop and grabbed some worms. We then went down to the new courtesy boat dock that hasn't been open for a month or two and went fishing. I put a small size 8 hook on with about an inch of worm on and a bobber about a foot up. No sooner than we put the line in I caught a small bluegill and let him reel it in. He then wanted to do it himself. He threw the line in and he caught a huge bluegill. He was excited. By this time we had several people looking on and cheered him on. Next thing I know we have a family with 3 little ones with then who wanted to try fishing. So my son passed the pole off to the boy who dropped the line in and caught a fish, he was excited. Then the little girl who was about 8 dropped the line in and caught a fish. The grandmother was there and she took all kinds of pictures and was really excited. My son got the pole back and caught fish after fish, after fish. We stayed about an hour and caught around 12 bluegill of all sizes. He then sat down on the dock and said he was tired and wanted to go home. I know he had fun and i know those kids had fun. I hope that in some way in another those kids will always remember that time. I think next time I will take a few more kids poles like that for all those kids who want to fish too. To my son who I took fishing, thanks buddy for a good day fishing, I had a blast!!!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Thats a nice story...Sounds like your raising a future pro fisherman..LOL

3. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Nick,Thanks for the posting about your son.I really enjoy reading stories like this.Here in my area we have a small trout fishing club,with about 150 to 175 members.I became president of this club 3 years ago,and decided to make some changes within the club.I have always enjoy watching kids fish,so I along with the rest of the club held a fishing seminar for children ages from 5 to 14.It was March 25th,and wow was it ever cold that day.But it didn't keep the people from bringing their children to have a fun day of trout fishing.We had 115 kids along with their parents show up that cold day.We had a huge area with a net around it with about 500 pounds of trout.It was a beautiful sight to see.These kids had a blast.We was able to have trophies for different things,like biggest fish ,youngest fisherman that caught a fish,and several other thing to.We gave away lots of fishing rods and reel to a lot of them along with tackle boxes and different spinners.This year we are going to shoot for the moon and hope to have any where between 200 to 300 kids from around this area.I could go on and on about this ,but I won't.Thanks :smile2: :0a33: :0a31: :006:

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

nice story and I enjoyed reading it. I think your son deserves some credit too, for sharing his pole, must be good parenting.

5. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That's a really great story!! I started taking my daughter when she was 3....she is now 9 and tells me that she is the better fisherman between the two of us. lol

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thats great for both of you! The memories you will both have about that day. You are doing well in raising your son. You taught him to share!
    Bill

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats a great story,thanks for sharing with us.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you da man................right on

9. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Excellent story - thanks for sharing....The more kids we can get hooked on fishing, the more secure the sport will be for all of us in the future..

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Great story, thanks. Im sure those other kids are going to be begging to go fishing again.

11. waitin on whiskers

waitin on whiskers New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Great Job!!!! Now your son is prolly gonna end up like my daughter, every time we are just sitting around she is asking to go fishing so we load up the poles, stop of and pick up my niecies and nephews and go to the park. I usually stay pretty busy but its a blast to see the looks on their little faces and one of my nephews gets so excited every time he catches something he starts to stutter. LOL. Great times. Great memories. Im sure u'll agree.

12. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    great story days like make you remember how much fun it is fishing
    your son sounds awsome not many kids would share their poles thanks again

13. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Great story.thanks for sharing.

14. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    TN there is nothing better that you could give your son than that hour of fishing He will always remember it

15. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    WOW!!! This story is funny to me because I have a 5 year old son that I take fishing all the time with HIS Scooby doo fishing pole...:big_smile:

16. Memphis_Catfish_King

Memphis_Catfish_King New Member

State:
    Memphis,TN
  17. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    great story man, I have a girl that will be 3 in December,by next summer she will be ready to try fishing too. Thanks the post.

Dale

18. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    my daughter has a barbie pole,when she gets bored with it i probly look funny out ther fishing with it.lol

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great story the kids will remember it for sure:big_smile_2:

20. g-man

g-man New Member

State:
    Kennesaw, Georgia
    Thanks for sharing.......reminded me of when my dad would take us 4 boys to farm ponds in S. Georgia around Albany. We used cane poles with crickets and worms and filled stringers for fish fry's. I'll be 54 tomorrow and remember well.....so expect your child to have good memories!!

HD