Taking a fishing ethics course to get a fishing license.

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 6, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio first time hunters need to take a safety couse to get a hunting license.

Do you think a course in fishing ethics would be a good idea for first time fishermen?

Topics could be things such as, leaving the fishing areas clean, respecting other fishermen..Even views on selective harvest of trophy fish.

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    that would be a great idea.

3. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good Gosh people. Don't you think we have enough regulations? Count me as a NO.
    Jim

4. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    While I agree with the reasoning behind what you're saying, I'm totally against further government involvement. Don't get me wrong, I know there are lots of people out there that have no business being on the water and there are those that leave trash everywhere. I'm all for educating these people, but let's do it the right way.

Further government regulations is simply an intrusion..... It starts at one area and before we know it, we're going to need a license to sit on our own porch and drink coffee.

There are two things that would work, but they are not an immediate fix.

1. Enforcement: Enforcement of laws already on the books will make a person think twice of doing something that they shouldn't.

2. Public Awareness: If you put the message out there enough times, people are going to start paying attention.

All of this would take several years to notice a difference, but I'd rather see the problems addressed rather than creating new regulations.

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I wouldn't object to that but what I would really like to see is a test you must pass before you can operate a boat and a license that could be revoked for behaving in certain ways...W

6. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think it would help. Sure people would take it and pass it .......but it all starts very young. IF you are raised a certain way than chances are you are going to be that way. There are way more good folks than there are bad ones, it is just a select few bad ones can ruin it for the good ones.

7. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with Jim!:big_smile: Besides you don't have to prove you know how to vote to vote for our highest office...somebody say hanging chad:angry:

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No, I wouldn't want that.
    Just tell them to check out catfish1.com for a good mind-cramming of knowledge. :roll_eyes:

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    That sounds like a good idea.The money from the the class could go toward some wildlife stuff.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    While Im probably on your blocked list and you wont see this I would agree with some of this.

I agree

I agree with this but I think its funny that you say this, almost every post from someone that catches a biggun and keeps it to eat they get dogpiled on about not CPR which is BS. Then when I say something that is against what you say I get lambasted by you that what I believe is wrong (as if you know what I believe). Say what you will but you are stubbern against anyone that has a different view than yourself.

11. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    in ohio, if you were born after a certain date (i think it is 82) you have to take a boaters safety course. i dont think a class on respect would ever be made though i agree it aint a bad idea. instead i just try to teach my kids and i feel free to instruct ANYBODY i see on the bank. i was taught by my grandfather to be respectful of other fishermen and to always leave the lake cleaner than you left it.

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Don't really think a ethics course will really help much at all. I know boaters need to go through a course an that gives them the basic essentials on the waters but the common sence things I believe truely have to come from their up bringing imo

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I pay $50 a yr for a license already to hell with them wanting more. We should hope ethics is taught to youngsters first starting out by a parent or family member.

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    gotta agree with that, anyone can lie on a test, ethics come from the heart and are instilled in ya at a young age, its all up bringing, heck some of those people with their boat,car,gun license still act like fools, so a test won't help:sad2:

15. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    maybe more than a test though. a class like ccw class is. i know you still have idiots but if they go to these at 16 they may be young enough to change a few

16. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    $50 for a resident liscense?????? i complain cause ohio is going to 20 next year. they say the average is $15. the govenator must need the $

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i think mostly you are born with ethics or taught as you are growing up.a lot of these people didn't have any one to teach them ethics or respect when they were growing up.i would say it would help a few,but not many.plus,make it a voluntary thing,see how many show up.

very good idea,though jack

18. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    i think the best thing you can do is talk to the young guys on the banks. explain to them why there are codes of conduct on the water. alot of times they will listen. sometimes they will not. as parents we should be sure to stress this to our kids. i was fishing recently with a guy (who happens to be a boc member) and his kid was out of controll. casting over everybody, throwing trash in the water. i tried to explain to the kid how he should act but he didnt listen. his dad didnt try to talk to him though.you have to start early. (sorry if this ticks ya off bud it was good fishin with ya)

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Fishing in this country has always been akin to a God given right to it's citizens.
    The most dangerous thing to others around you is your hooks, weights, and mental state.
    A man can fish with a string and a stick or an overpriced rod and reel.

One of the remaining true freedoms that anyone can enjoy and in some cases with little to no cost.

I've been tested enough in my life and still am at work periodically. 4 or 5 times in the last month alone.

Leave fishing alone.

The best way to project ethics within a sport is to lead by example. Just like raising kids. You can say don't do this or that all you want to but it aint worth a hill of beans unless you lead by example.
    You can hem haw all you want to in some BS class and say only those things that want to be heard to get out on the water.
    Another waste of tax payer dollars.
    Micro management.
    We have regulations for the unethical fishermen. If it's not against the law I question whether it's really unethical or only unethical to a few.

20. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    it isnt against the law to cast over somebody. after i politely reel in and untangle twice i cut teir line on the third time. is that unethical? most kids these days dont have dad to teach them how to act on the water. unless you want to fish next to an idiot all night you have to teach them