taking a chance

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Apr 25, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i here some say to let the fish hook himself, others say you got to set it wen they tug on your line, im confusd i always wait for my poll to bend or get a run, but 75 percent they say wont run or move with the bait, but that would screw my chances of leting the fish take it, this seems to be a ongoing debate this year about how a flathead bites, they will not run if there in structer, they will run on sand bars or points, but if u want to get more we must learn how the flat bites in the structer,i cant tell, i got current pulling my rod, and bait pulling my line pluse little fish playing, got to learn the daytime flathead bite

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I guess I never really considered the different types of Flathead bites. Everytime I have caught them, they try to pull me with my rod and my chair into the water....LOL.
    I fish shallow water in the lakes at night....with live Bluegills, so I never have really targeted them in daylight hours. I have caught a few in daylight, but was fishing for blues and channels.:confused2:

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    As you know, all I really fish is daylight hours,, but since last year, my Brother has got me into the night game and I have been doing pretty good at it the few times we haver gotten out..

But for how long or when to set the hook?.

If I see my float go under,right off the bat; I know the fish has moved every bit of 5'( with my bait in his mouth):eek:oooh: and by the time I quickly get to it, I would say about 10-15':eek:oooh::eek:oooh:, once I grab and reel in slack and the float is still gone, you can bet the fish has swam 20' or hes just stopped and holding his own with the bait in his neck,:wink::smile2:..

.SET THE HOOK!!! ,as soon as the slack is out of the line.

4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slikk- I caught my first 3 Flatties of the year this week. All 3 I caught in similar types of areas, bait and hooking methods.

The similarities are listed below.

All 3 were Caught on very small semi-frozen chunks of skipjack.
    All 3 caught during daylight.
    All 3 were caught in slow back-current next to a steep submerged vertical ledge.
    All 3 were caught tight to thick submerged structure (trees)
    All 3 hooked themselves. 2 on were on 1/0 circle hooks and 1 on 7/0 sickle hook.Note- the sickle hooks seem small for their listed size.

(I've found that circle hooks work well on Flatheads) but you have to take it easy or you will rip the hook through the jaw skin, this happened to because when I lost a fish the skin was on my hook point.

The circles are good cause when your rod tip starts bouncing just grab it and start reeling. They eliminate all the guess work.

Also note that although I caught these fish all on the MS River, one was caught in a different county than the other 2. Which supports the theory "90 percent of the fish are in 10% of the water"

Hope this stuff helps!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Jake, I'm confused. You have asked alot of specific questions about specific problems on numerous threads. From what I gather reading all those posts, you are getting the good answers you need to solve each problem. You cannot "generalize" a flathead. There is no ( Always Right) answer. You need to take in all the info from around the country, apply it to what you do and what you know, then see what works for you. Use that info to tailor some tactics unique to your area or style of fishing.

There is no Magic Potion you can pour on your reel to make it catch Flatheads. What works in one situation may not work in another. But you can take parts of both and find that they work in a third. I'm just trying to say you are on the right track, don't get so discouraged because something doesn't work the first few times you try it. You just need to tweak it a little till it works for you.

Tweaks are little things like fast current, eddy, or the seam between those two. Structure, rock, sand or mud. Livebait, cut-bait, or Green Jell-O. This could go on and on for ever if I thought about it.

Keep asking questions, this is more art than science.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i get better every year, lol last year i got a forty pounder thats my biggest, other was 3o pounds, but i wish i got more bites, ill sit four three hours without a bite, but, im limmeted on spots,

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slikk I'll tell you what I've been doing. I got me some river maps made by the USACE that shows depths in color coding of the river I fish. It shows dikes, outside bends and the main channel too. I use the program Google Earth that gives you satelite imagery of places I want to look at. I search for roads and access points. And I got me a backpack for when I have to go hiking. Yesterday I found a great spot by using the tools above but had to walk a half mile through some fields. It paid off though. Find you some more spots there out there but you gotta find em.

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    #1 and only true rule to catching flatheads is that as soon as you figure them out they prove you wrong.I have noticed stronger drag burning runs at night and same size fish same structure during mid day would just steady bend the rod double but never scream the line off the reel.

Also on a side note match your bait to what is readily available in the hole your fishing.I have fished a particular hole kinda regular for 3 years before getting the first flathead only because I switched to a different bait.

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea central illinois just sucks if you have no boat , i just fish around cover or curent breaks, like i say i wana get one a night, at least, i wait weeks befor i get one, , caght an 8 pounder last night, a channel, was disapointed it was fighting like a 30 pounder, it set my clicker screaming

10. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know what to say about you wanting to get one a night......I made somewhere around 20 all- nighters last year for Flatheads and caught 2 nice ones......thats about 1 for every 10 trips. It sounds to me like you got a pretty good place to fish....just hang in there and be patient bro. It makes it all the more sweeter when you do land that trophy Flathead!!!!!:cool2:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i can see your point if you got bib ones all day it would become boring, i like the wait but id still like to get alot more, my cousen mr flathead gets fiften a day in penn state there an invasve fish there , he cast out so far it crazy on jigs by a dam thats a half mile across, he slays them al day, look at

12. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Yeah. It's easy to read crazy stuff like all of the magazine articles and stories and get all depressed when you can't do it when you try for a month. I got really disappointed in the past because I read too much. Shore fishing numbers probably won't be 1/2 of boat numbers. I think that's partially just the passion and skill of the boaters.

I'm gonna ditch circles for at least a while this spring and see if I can get any light biters. My motto in the past has been, when you hook one, they make themselves known. Especially when they come to you and are on the move. I don't know that this works in strong current with circles. The fish have to face upstream and when they take the bait, they aren't likely to turn around immediately and get hooked.

My greatest insight so far is: keep your bait from wiggling under a rock. That's what I've learned in the last 5-6 years. That and when to hit it hard and when to stay home. It cuts down frustration greatly. And go find some new spots.

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    there are alot of facters in fisging for flatheads, , im going to get some waders and stand out in log jams and walk since i have no boat

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Jake I sat in the boat from 7:30 pm till 4:30 am tuesday night, 9 hours. (4 of those in the rain) before I got my first run.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    so its not easy geting big 30 and up cats ,unles you target them in there house, maby im not doing to bad, just tring to get a feel for the ones that just mouth the bait, will they take it eventuly or spit it out, im here as a student, i wanna be a master , its my only sanity is fishing, only peace i get the day its illigal is the day i hope the lord takes me out of this world, lol

16. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Jake,
    I've been hunting these Flatheads a Long time,,, You've already bested my PB,,
    It's not about that,,, it's just seeing ,, for me, from one trip to the next, if I can catch a Flat,,I'm, of course, always wanting to get a bigger one,, But, just having them hitting my presentation, is satisfying, and I've had a few on, that I didn't land for one reason or another, that tells me I've had some Big Ones on..
    From what I've read that you're doing,, Seems to be working pretty good for you.. Patience is the biggest factor for me,, and I'm REAL patient when fishing...When one gets on,,, It seems like time gets real slow, and, I, enjoy the fight as long as possible, That's what it's about for me,, The actual fighting time,,, after they're hooked...
    Whether I keep them or not, whether anyone else is there,, I enjoy, more than that,, I Feel the fight with these creatures.. so, it sounds like you're getting a good share of all that,, enjoy, and, keep posting Bro,,