take your dog fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by head hunter, Dec 27, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Anybody else take there dog(s) fishing with them.??
    I decided I am going to take ( LARS ) my 2 year old lab /chow mix fishing with me in 2010.
    Took him out today, just to walk the banks of the lake ,and, he done pretty good ,,till he seen two deer in the woods by the lake and about ripped my arm off with the leash. lol . We walked about 4 miles or so ,Not bad for his first time out . And his first ride in the truck. ( up front of course )
    Hope he does well the first time I get him in a boat.:crazy:

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    A couple thing's to watch for when bring the dog's with you ....when walking the bank or in the boat make sure there are no old hook's with old bait on them ,because they will eat them before you have a chance to do anything about it and you need to watch out for hook's in ther paws.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    I would love to take my dog. She's a boxer but she is too crazy for me to take. I would have to end up giving her a couple of valiums before I took her out to the lake.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would, and have in the boat. We have a Bichon...aka POOdle!:smile2: He is a good boy, but I didnt bring him home! Get the point?:roll_eyes: I will leave it at that! rollo

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am planning to start taking mine this year sins i have a boat now got to get her a life vest :wink:

6. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    I hear ya Rollo,,,,,This what my wife brought home one day...:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Attached Files:

7. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    wrong pic..ooops lol

8. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    here is what it should've been:smile2::smile2:

Attached Files:

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You may want to keep in mind that English bulldogs and maybe basset hounds can't swim.. A friend saw his bulldog hit ice and slide off the dock and go straight to the bottom like a rock, Water too cold and deep to go after him.

Another thing to remember about fishing with a dog.. If you throw it, They want it.. And it don't matter if its a 5.0 trebble on the end of your line or a shad-rap you throw into your tackle box. ( THe later from experince.. Hooks out of site up his nose and he slung his head till the other hooks got him in the lip. Seems he didn't much like wearing jewelry ! )

Think about trying to grab a dog with hooks like that flying and believe me, They aren't going to be still so you can get the hooks out. Or even worse, THink about him getting you with one or more of them and now you have 45 lbs of P.O'd dog hooked to you ! I put him in a chicken wing and for all he fought, he couldn't move his head till the hooks were out and I turned him loose..

Oh, and another thing. Don't think a dog that loves you won't bite when he's in that kind of shape.

All that said, My best fishing partner ever was that same bird dog. Boy do I miss him..( R.I.P. Lance

10. team360xtreme

team360xtreme New Member

State:
    texas
    i was just guna mention in the cold weather....life jacket for the dog a must!

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah,i take my shihtzu all the time,and on occasions i'll take one of my pits.never had any problems,put them in the boat,and they ride better than most kids.

12. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    its too much like work to take mine fishing lol, he is a st bernard and weighs about 220 lbs and when he wants to go, well he goes, he is a good dog and loves the water, took him on the pontoon once, but i wont take him fishing, he is too wired up for that, i could see him juming in the water after i casted to get what i threw lol, i could just hear the splash from that:eek:oooh:

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I take mine with me almost every time. I even fished a tourny against a few of the local BOC guys with my dog as my partner (didn't win :) ). If you train your dog for these type of activities they are fine. Mine never acts up on the boat except for sitting directly on the trolling motor control from time to time. Sometimes in the summer I will go to east fork and fish a while, then drive to the middle of a large cove, put the life jacket on the dog and let her swim for a couple hours. Remember there are no bad dogs, just dogs with different levels of training.

Attached Files:

14. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio

I guess I kinda overlooked the ,,,," 10-200" PART, :crazy: with the boat ,

15. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    I've taken both of mine to get bait before.. I have a lab/chow and a rott/chow and everytime i get some they try to eat the fish :sad2: lol.. pretty funny to take them

16. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I take a pomeranion, almost evertime we go, She loves it, sleeps in the boat all day, only gets up when I get in the cooler and she thinks I may have something to eat. dosen't bark or chase in the boat. She gets mad if we don't take her, I sometimes leeve her when its going to be 105 degrees
    and she will pout and not look at me when i get home if she didn't go along.

17. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my wont shut up long enough and all he wants to eat everything

18. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the B O C Justin,,,
    You gotta feed him before you go :big_smile::big_smile:

19. peacefrog

peacefrog New Member

State:
    Manhattan Kansas
    Took my pit bull (Past away sence ) but, he luved it. Ever sence I showed him his first fish he would watch my pole an as soon as it would start getting a hit he would bark intell I got to the pole an then he would stand ther intell I brought it in. He luved to play with them a little befor I put them on the rope. When he was a pup in the back of the truck he got two hooks from a trouble hook in his lip, We had to cut the two barbs off an pull the shafts back out. He was smart after that he never messed with are hooks again. I would luv to have a nother fishing dog. Best of luck an keep us posted how it works out an all the good storys too.

20. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Got a lil 10lb jack russle female that luvs the boat. Shes a good dog just in it for the ride. Fun to watch her snap mayflys and june bugs. She dont mess with bait just sits or lays on the deck or seat. She gets excited when ya pull one in but just barkes @ it a few times. I pulled a 50lb blue in this year she had to nose it and it flopped she hit the back deck hiding behind a seat and barked @ it lol.
    If ya gona take a lil dog out and there is bighead carp about be carfule. A friend of mine lost her lil doggie this summer a big head knocked it out of the boat and it sank-drowend , gone to the mo river.

My lil fishen buddy

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      33.9 KB
      Views: