Take my soldier fishing...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by GoFish_Tony, Jan 8, 2007.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    To any North Carolina fishermen,

As some of you may know, my son is in the Army and will be deployed to Afghanistan some time next week (the 3rd week in January). He is right now stationed at Fort Bragg, NC. My wife and I will be flying from Illinois Saturday, (1/13/07) to be there when he gets on the plane.

I have a favor to ask...
    It would be wonderful if I could take him out fishing before he leaves. Fishing is something that the two of us have never really done together and if the opportunity came up I think he would greatly enjoy it.

The Particulars:
    He can not travel any further then 100 mile radius of Fort Bragg and the only time we have that is available would be this Sunday or Monday during the daytime. (1/14/07 or 1/15/07.)
    Getting started early morning either of those 2 days would not be a problem for either of us.

I would be forever grateful if anyone could find time to take a proud father and his 18 yr old soldier fishing.

Thanks in advance.
    Tony
    _

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Tony,
    You have no idea how badly I wish Wendell and I were close enough to be the ones to have the honor of taking you and your soldier/son on a fishing trip.

I am sure that some of the members from down that way will step up and consider it an honor to take you both fishing.

Hope you catch bigguns!

Hugs to you, Mary, and your son.

Barb

3. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Wow Tony thats a great idea, i hope someone from that area can help you guys out. I remember what it was like before my sons first deployment, shake his hand for me, we wish him a safe tour of duty.

4. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    Thanks Barb and Steve and others for the kind words and encouragment.

Tony
    _

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Bumping this back to the top in hopes that at least one of our eastern NC members will be able to grant Tony's wish for a chance to fish with his son.

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
  7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I were in the area, I'd have been honored to help out. regretfully Im up in pa.

8. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Go fish Tony’
    I am an Active Duty Master Chief in the U.S. Navy. The best part of my job is interacting and training fine young people such as your son. I realize I am no where close to Ft. Bragg but I would like to extent this invitation to all active duty and active reservists in any branch of the U. S. Military – I have an open seat and rod in my boat between the end of February and the first week of April (when I deploy). Fraternization policies be damned. Don’t ever let anyone tell you Patriotism is dead – look around you, these “kids” are a lot better that ya think!!!!

9. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    What an outstanding offer!!

Hey, wouldn't it be great to have a new thread started where others could also offer the same generous offer? I know that not everybody lives near military bases... but some do. Just something to think about.

God Bless you all for your support, encourgment, and prayers for our men and women in uniform.

Tony
    _

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Tony, I wish i had the time off and the gas to do it. I would like nothing more than to drag my boat up there and take you both out for some fishing brother. Unfortunately I live in W. KY and can't get the time off to do it.

There has to be someone around there that will step up to the plate on this one!!!

Come on folks, Help a Brother and his Son out here!!!

11. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    if possible have your son go the the post MWR rental center and get his boaters safty course done this week. only have to sit through a 15 min. tape and answer 10 questions and he will be able to rent a boat for the time yoou want to go out for a little of nothing. there are nice lakes on the post that the two of you can enjoy great catfishing. I'm an ex active duty soldier now Active Reservist (18yrs) I 2 wish i was close enough to take the 2 of you out.

tell your son to keep his head down and his prayers up

12. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Tony, my sister and her family live in Four Oaks, NC. It's around 50 miles from Fayetteville I believe. I will get in touch with her, because I know there are members of her church (her hubby's a minister) who are avid fishermen. I'm gonna see if I can get ya hooked up buddy. If we can't get anyone from the BOC to step forward, maybe a member of their congregation will be willing to :smile2:.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tony,normally I would hook up the boat and scoot up there and take you but unfortunately I have to go to Vir. friday for the weekend for some family matters.HOWEVER give TERRY PIKE a call at 910-483-9441.He is a member of the LONG WHISKERS CATFISH CLUB in Fayetteville.Perhaps they can help you out.They fish the Cape Fear all the time and the state record flathead was just caught recently.There is a ramp right in downtown fayetteville with a fishing center where these guys go out of.Good luck, my son and daughter in law deploy to Iraq in June along with Paul.:big_smile:

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Tony give me a call and I will let you know I was thinking about hitting the ol river up but i dont konw right now but even if I dont go i can let you use my little 10' Fisher Flat bottom boat and can even tell you where to go and what kind of bait to use.

15. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    oh yeah my number is 910-237-3316 and my name is Billy, if I dont answer just leave me a message and I will return your call.

16. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I truly hope someone will pop up to help out bro. It looks as if you got a pretty good prospect in Billy, give him a call. If you were down in GA I could do it myself. I'm in the Army too and have all kinds of holes down here.

17. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I tell you what... you all are some awesome people!

From the bottom of my heart, I want to thank you all for trying to help my son and I go fishing. I've never met finer people then you all here at the BOC.

I've read with much joy (and some personal regrets), your posts where you shared your experiences had while taking your sons, daughters, etc.. fishing. My family had other activities that we enjoyed, but fishing was something that we never tried. I guess we thought that fishing was well.. all about catching fish. I see now, that it's not. I believe it's about being part of something that is challenging, and fun. Where learning from others is the only way to get better. And where expanding our circle of friendship can not "just" help you catch fish, it can also lead to meeting great people. I'm proud to say that I am a fishermen now. It's something that I will do for the rest of my life. And I owe a lot of this credit to all of you here at the BOC.

As of right now...
    It looks as if my son and I will be going fishing together next week. BILLYP has generously offered to take us. We have talked on the phone and I think we will all have a ball. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!And YES, there WILL be pictures posted here when we get back!

Once again, thank you all!!

Tony
    _

18. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Tony I have talked to my Wife and she is letting me go fishing on Sunday with you and your son she said that she might even go. My hunny do list will have to wait. I cant wait to meet you and your son.
    Talk to you later.
    Billy

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Billy,
    I too want to whole heartedly thank you! This truly is what helps set the BOC apart from other fishing forums.

I have met Tony and his wife and have "talked" with him a good bit on here. They truly are great people and you will be as glad to get to know them as they will you. :smile2:

I hope y'all have a wonderful day and some fun fishing!

I know its a day that will give Tony and his family memories they will treasure forever.

I hope to meet you one day too Billy!

Take care,
    Barb

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Billy, Thank You for making this Father Son Fishing Trip possible Brother!!!

I hope that Ya'll have a great time and make a few good memories to talk about in the future!!!