Take me catfishing...

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by pikerhoss, Nov 14, 2007.

1. pikerhoss

pikerhoss New Member

State:
    indiana
    I've had an epiphany. I suck at this catfish thing. Well actualy I haven't went cattin since this summer, but anyway. I sucked then... If someone would want to take me out with them, that'd be great! Don't get me wrong I am not a moocher. I've got the equipment and I've even got a boat. I just ain't confident I got the knowledge. It might be hard to find a good time if you'd seriously take me, but hey something might work out....

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Welcome to the BOC/SOC Jeremy, if it's knowledge you are after then you are at the right place. Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info there. Check out the lakes, rivers and reservoirs section for your state. You should find some info there to steer you in the right direction.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Piker,
    If you haven't been since summer you need to get out there. If, for instance you haven't been fishing since the end of July, that's 16 weekends including the one coming up. That's 32 fishing days plus the overnight hours. You are only going to not suck by getting out there and doing it.
    Learn from your successes, learn from your failures.
    There is a wealth of info on this sight; more than a person could hope to find out.
    Fishing methods, boat control,how to work wind and current, anchoring techniques, bait info, tackle details, sonar info, seasonal tactics, the list goes on and on
    Be a pig....read it all, come back for more, read it again but above all there is no substitute for time on the water.
    I say again, there is no substitute for time on the water
    Now is prime time fishing, go get some...W

4. pikerhoss

pikerhoss New Member

State:
    indiana
    I was actually hoping for more of an actual experience with someone who knows. I have studied catfishing for years. I have books. It wasn't until I went with my dad and saw him catch the channels did I finally figure it out. I can tell anyone "how" it should be done, but I actually want to see it! Since the river close to me is dry I was considering meeting up with someone so they could show me around. I ain't looking for honey holes, just don't want to waste my time on a new and/or potentially dangerous river.

The same thing happened for me with trout fishing. Tried and tried and read and read, not until I used a guide did I learn how and actually catch fish. (I'm not ruling out a catfishing guide!)

5. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    LoL.. yea that was me "hire a guide maybe i might catch something" alot of good folks on here from all around ( where in Indiana are ya?). some guys took me out and we basically just talked about the local area and some good fish spot, methods..etc. I had a blast and learned alot of different places i'm itching to try. Most important made some new friends.. no to go outside in the rain and figure out how to cast this bait net (not round kinda egg-shaped and not far out)..rofl may have to lift some weights first..:p

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    anytime i can get out ill let ya know

7. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Piker, I agree with everyone. But one thing is for sure, like Winston said, you have to put some time in and try different things. If you can find bodies of water that have any of the three big cat species, you can use what you have studied to start "getting a feel" for the cats and learning techniques that either work or don't work. If you want to get a guide, depending on where you live, you may have to take a road trip down to the Ohio or over to the Missouri or Mississippi. I grew up in Indiana and catfish in IN every year still! There's alot of good cattin waters there. There are nights you can go out all night and get skunked despite (what I might think) are prime conditions. Then the next time, same hole or whatever, you have a great night. I am assuming you Pike fish. I really miss that, but I will take the cats!! Good luck man.

8. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    alot of very useful awesome info here.. but prolly the best advice given was ToTW or Time on The Water .. i want it Mcdonalds syle ..eer now but know i got to put the time in if i'm ever gonna see the big ones.. i get skunked alot but everytimes a learning experience

9. pikerhoss

pikerhoss New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks guys,
    and stumpjumper, ironically "piker" is in reference to my county (Pike Co.) not the fish, the closest thing we got to a pike is pickerel. I don't think pickerelhoss would be a good screen name! Sounds kinda "funny"....

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerermy, I've known quite a few people that have all the "book knowledge" necessary to complete a task but lack the deciphering ability of transferring it to the fingertips. Some just learn better through "hands on" experience.
    Hope you find someone that will get you going.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Piker,
    Check your PM's...W

12. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    I sent you a PM. check back with me unless it is too far to travel.