Take Action Please!

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Georgiaboy, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Throughout the 2007 year, many changes have occured throughout the state and fishing conditions may have changed as well.
    The 2007 drought has reached its peak.

STATISTIC: Two more months of this type of climate and MOST of Atlanta will not have drinking water. We dont have an alternative source because its drying up too.

Our main sources of drinking water here in the Atlanta area (Pretty much everyone within 60 miles of Atlanta) are the Chattahoochee River and Lake Lanier. Thats about it for us though. Alatoona is drying up very quickly as well.

Some lakes however have not been inflicted with the dramatic toll the drought has taken on the big lakes. Lake Acworth for example, the water has maybe dropped all but one foot. Its not too big there, but why there when Alatoona right next to it looks like a desert?

I crossed the bridge linking Acworth and Alatoona. Acworth was pretty and had plentiful amounts of water. Alatoona was a wasteland. The amount of water i saw there would not pass off as a creek! Dead plants, and dirt is mostly what you will see on that bridge.

Take short showers, turn the water off, so on so forth.

Put it this way. When we shop, we tend to buy ingredients for dinner and maybe food for the kids etc. Think about what happens when we do not have the water. We would probably be eating hot pockets and spaghettios for the duration of this period. We would not be able to take showers, brush our teeth, wash our own dishes, flush our toilets if this continues long enough.

Now what effect does this have on our fish? Well besides the ones that dry up in the dirt, you would think nothing right? well your wrong. Fish would move more inward towards where the remaining water is. However, they will overpopulate. As the lake gets smaller and smaller the amount of fish is partially the same as it was around this time last year. All the fish would start eating the little fish and then smaller fish would keep being eaten by bigger fish until the last fish is standing, then it will starve.

If this type of inclimate weather continues, and spawning season comes 'round, We are in trouble. By then almost all of Atlanta wil have no drinking water and the fish, will be left to suffer.

So please people take action and do something. Conserve your water and save it because we will need it. Most likely, one Hurricane Katrina would not put us back on track so we, the state of Georgia, are desperate right now. You, my fellow statesmen, do not need to contribute to this ongoing crisis. Thank you.

2. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    We conserve what we can, but I'll tell you what the chatahochee is always running strong. The "water shortage" is a crock IMHO. the Dekalb County pumping station off holcom bridge keeps the water treatment reseviors full on amwieler road. When the hooch at 285 ever drops below its banks then I'll worry, but for now i think we'll be just fine. Lake lanier is low because of all the water that was released to save the Mussels at the coast. The corps had already let too much water out in the spring because of a miscalculation. All the county resevoirs that I Fish are still at full pool. Its the corps lakes that are low.

3. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    the banks on the hoochee may seem alright but it is getting worse. Either way, unless if a miracle were to happen, it could take years for this to recover, depends on what happens, because we will never know.

A lot of your usual ponds you find in the neighborhoods or in the woods are not in danger. The main reason is because it is not our drinkig water. We would have to build treatment plants around these smaller lakes so we can drink, that is going to take a few months, plus we gotta build more pipes under the roads and what not. Unless if you buy the 20 gallon jugs.

Go to Alatoona, it is probably more dry than lanier.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Alatoona is always low in the summer. Lot lower this year but low none the least. Some say the corps lets the water out every year so people can repair thier docks but its always low. As for the "ponds" you speak of I'm talking of county reseviors. They already have their own pumps and treatment plants. the three counties around me have their own and they stay full. Thats gwinnett co, Walton, and Rockdale. I'm not saying you are wrong in any means but I think the media and people have hightened the situation. From what I here and thats all it is,"hearsay" is that we are supplying northern Florida and parts of Alabama. I say cut the flow and pump more for ourselves. Been to lake Oconee latley. Still close to full pool. Why is that?? Georgia power owns that one. No federal BS saying they have to dump their supply to save the crustations. This state is always in a drought every 3 years or so. Thats just the way it is. Its the government that decides to release the water. Buford dam was running wide open half the day today.
    And they wonder where all the water went.....

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Sometimes we fail to realize that lakes on a river system just cant close the gates to save the water.
    The industries, the people, the towns, and agriculture depend on the water in the rivers as well.
    You cant just cut the spigot off.

6. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    exactly one of my points because the Chattahoochee extends out of metro Atlanta to near Alabama. Those other people need the water just as bad.

7. Gfwoody00

Gfwoody00 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I didnt realize how bad it was in atlanta until recently. Im in middle Georgia and we really arent having any shortages. all my fishing holes are at about the same level. I hope yall get some good rain soon, so your fishing holes dont dry up.

8. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    well its not so much our fishing holes but it is the lakes and rivers we drink from. If Lanier does not release water to the hoochee everyday, it will dry up, and Lake Lanier seriously can not afford to give too much, but yet they still are.