Take a peek in my tackle bag...

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious what others have in there batch of tackle they carry around.
    Here is my bag used for the GMR and Ohio rivers, Has a shoulder harness, 1 large open pouch with room for 4 large plastic boxes, each box shown below, BTW,weighs entirely way too much.....

[​IMG]

Here is the first box, accessories..to include several sizes of hooks, J, Circles and Kahles, 3 ways, swivels, Plastic beads, sinker slides, an emergency stringer I have never used, and a pocket knife

[​IMG]

Next is a sinker box, loaded with several different types of 2/3/4 oz weights and a few assorted smaller and if headed to the Ohio river, has some more 4/5/6/8 ozers.

[​IMG]

Here is my flathead box, includes large floats, bobber stops, glow sticks, rubber bands to hold them on, a few bells,duct tape for all emergencies.

[​IMG]

Here is what the front pocket holds, boga grip with anti sink device, long turtle pliers, 2-3 different knives and a pair of heavy scissors to cut bait with, head lamps, small flashlights,digital scale and a very important tool, the knife sharpener. Also where i store my 20/30 and 50 lb leader materials.

[​IMG]

lastly is the assorted junk that is carried on each end pocket, including toilet paper in a plastic baggie, bug repellant, sunscreen, a lanyard with nippers, hemostats and small line cutting scissors, and leather gloves for gar or lipping big fish.

[​IMG]

Not pictured is a small plastic cutting board that goes into the back pouch, I store it in a plastic ziplock baggie and also 2-3 plastic trash bags.

Shor eits heavy, but I mostly use it on the boat, when walking to a spot, Ill take some of the heavy stuff out but Im one of those folks that feels like i have to have it all, or else I m not prepared...:wink:

Am I missing anything?? Maybe this will help some newbies out...

Salmonid

2. pescador

pescador New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Amigo thats a lot of tackle to be carrying around

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mark you are very organized. Looks good. That should cover it.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Mark, it looks good. You have about everything I carry on. The only things I can add are : camera, extra batteries, aspirin, small rag, lighter, and emergency beef jerky, LOL.

-Jim-

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just remember......K.I.S.S.... Keep It Simple, Stupid! I have lots of tackle as well, but try to consider the area and how im gonna fish it before going... Nothing worse than draggin a ton of gear for a day or night out only to use one or two tackle cases:wink: rollo

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i have a box that carries a few of the plastic boxes like salmonoids soft box.depends on where and how i am fishing,i just take out the boxes i don't need to lighten up the load some.

i have a multi tool i usually have on my belt,so i always have a pair of pliars handy.also,a knife clipped to my pocket,it has a spring assist blade,that i can get out fast with one hand if need be.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I use a really big "tool box" and then have smaller containers that I organize it with.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont worry folks, this is the full blown bag for the boat when and if I am hitting flatties, if not, I loose the glowstick box, loose some sinkers and scale waaaay down. Its really not too bad on the shoulder and can get a half a mile in before I have to switch shoulders when walking...:crazy: I figure in the boat, rather to have it and not need it then be missing it.

Salmonid

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    mark you are much more organised than i am...If i had that much stuff i would be tripping over it....

sinkers, hooks, swivels, scale and a extra reel is all i carry.

10. GOLD FISH

GOLD FISH New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    after reading this i went out and weighed my tackle bag and it was 33lb. lol

11. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    I heard that!!!!

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i very rarely fish from anything other than my boat anymore, so most of my tackle is stored in the forward lockers. i have a 3 ringed trapper keeper style binder full of heavy duty zip lock baggies full of all my soft plastics-bass fishing. i have a soft case tackle bag with 5 hard plastic boxes full of crankbaits/plugs. i have a seperate deep well plastic box for spinner baits/buzzbaits/swimming-blade jigs. then i have 2 small plastic boxes for bream fishing with assorted hooks weights/bobbers/etc. along with 2 big plastic boxes full of leaders/weights/hooks/slip corks for cats. i keep those 4 boxes in a small duffle bag. i have 1 soft bag with 2 internal hard cases full of saltwater leadhead jigs/bodies/poppin corks/sally's etc. and one small canvas pouch kinda thingy for my flies/fly rod stuff.

i keep fish skinners/plyers/fillet knife on board, as well as back up line.

i know it is a lotta crap. and usually i swear by the k.i.s.s. rule. but i fit all of it into the storage lockers on the boat so it doesnt really get in the way, and if i am fishing in someone else's boat or if i am wade fishing- i just take a couple double handfulls of whatever and shove them into my cargo pockets... wife says i am he!! on a washing machine. lol.

oh yeah and in the fall i keep a shoebox full of 100 watt 12 volt lightbulbs for my floundering lights under the console.

13. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Heck Fire I need two men and a boy along with a pack mule to bankfish the Ohio River. Just the Large Cooler of Shad and Ice along with the bucket of 6-8 oz sinkers has ya beat!!!!!! LOL

:smile2::smile2::smile2:

:wink: nice job

14. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    That's a nice setup. I usually take a cooler and whatever fits in it, lantern, bait, drinks. If I catch bait I put it in the cooler, and use the it as a seat. Extra batteries for the airator is always good. Hooks, swivels, and sinkers, and maybe a float or two, is all the tackle I carry. That is just for shore fishing, but in my boat I have everything.

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I always said, " a good dirt dobber carrys enuff mud". My bag runnith over.:smile2:

16. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I carry a backpack filled with hooks, sinkers (around 20 lbs), swivels, spool of line for leaders, spare reel, a knife, needle nose pliers and a flashlight. man its gonna suck carrying that when my son decides he doesn't want to fish anymore!

17. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Like HrCats above. I also use a backpack, 2 backpacks if the ol'lady comes along. But usually for the Muskingum river, I carry 1 backpack stuffed full of hooks, sinkers, extra spools of line. Then I hand carry a 5 gallon bucket with my lantern in it, plus my float n troll bait bucket, and usually 4 or 5 poles, 2 of which i just use for bait. I can usually cover the local banks here pretty easy. But wishing I had some sort of wheeled cart setup to haul everything in...:cool2:

18. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    god you are very organised lol :smile2:

19. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    o and welcome to the boc aaron