Take a Load Off and Relax

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 20, 2009.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A few minutes ago I think a lightbulb finally went off in my head. I was sitting here at work completely frustrated and stressed out. I was at the point where I was asking myself "Why". Why do I come in early each day, why do I do this and that, etc.... Then something just popped in my head, "I wonder if a 50# catfish would fit in my live well." Yea I know sort of random, but then I started drifting off and thinking about my boat and fishing the rivers, specifically the Ohio River in Point Pleasant, WV. It's probably one of the few times in the last full year that fishing didn't stress me out. I haven't had my boat out one time this year. It's been a real rough year at home (family health wise), been full of stress at work and fishing just didn't seem important. The sheer thought of preparing to go usually got me down. I have found every reason in the book NOT TO FISH this past year, some of them very valid, some of them not. I figured I'd make this post to not only remind me but others who could be feeling the same way I have been about why we do things like fishing and hunting: We (at least I) usually do it to get away from everything else. I myself have been caught up for the last couple years of trying to fish for that "big fish" when I go. That also adds stress to fishing. I myself have been caught up on getting that "Trophy". I'm sitting here right now thinking that a trophy can mean many, many things. It could be a 3 # Channel cat or a 90# doe it doesn't always have to be that 40# + fish or that wall hanger of a buck. I think the last 20 or 30 minutes has done wonders for me. I can't wait until I get home tonight and share this feeling with those around me. For the longest time my dad has always found time to spent the weekend down at this cabin relaxing, hunting or fishing for what I used t think was silly things like Crappie or Carp from a picnic table at the local lake (Lake Logan). No matter what, he seemed to have made the time to relax and just take a load off. I think I now know why, I must say it's a pretty good feeling.

I am going to try and come back to this post when life makes me think that I don't have time for the small things. I think it's already worked a bit, as I've been sitting here for about 20 minutes just taking it easy and using the time as my lunch hour. Well I shut my office door as well as the blinds only to have two people come knocking on the door to tell me their major problems. The difference this time verus the dozens of other times this has occurred is that their problems don't seem so major this time go round. I must say, it feels pretty good.

I say to anyone else, go do what it is that you like to do: If that's hitting the local river or lake or even the local paypond, do it. Have fun and relax a while!

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hear ya Bryan, in fact when I tourny fish, im getting better at just having fun and not getting all upset when i do not do well. Bottom line is a enjoy being out there. Last night I hit my new pond for an hour as a stress reliever, just taking my time walking around it, making a few casts, catching a few fish, watching a red tail hawk do his thing, watching some doves come in for a evening bath, then a Heron almost stopped by but saw me and moved on, then some geese overhead while listening to some squirells cutting, where was i ?? oh yeah making a few casts.....:wink:

Alway take the time to smell the roses my friend, Life is too short!

Salmonid

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Great post Bryan!

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    This is why I love fishing with my friends who don't take it as seriously as I do. I get to loosen up a bit, and if we catch a 5# channel cat, it's a huge fish! :smile2:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Good post Bryan. Started learning the same thing when I retired. Kind of late in life but I think it is working. Best thing is I think it will help me live longer.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks Bryan for the post.

7. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    i'm feelin ya mellon! oughta get someone to read this to chubbahead........

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good post Bryan, its all about fishing not catching or the hunt not the trouphy. I may never get that wall hanger or the monster fish but the memories in the process will be with me forever!:big_smile:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good post buddy, I just found out this afternoon that my wife is leaving me for the 3rd time...And taking my little boy whom I love more than life itself.

I dont know if I have the strength to get over this one, because right now, life does not seem worth living.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I left a message for you. Give me a call.

11. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    Damn mad reps to ya that was deep my man

12. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thank you brother

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good post Bryan. Each of us has stress be it money, jobs, kids,spouse,addictions or whatever the case may be. Learning to deal with what ya can and not worryin about the rest is the best advice i can offer. Most everything i do at work is on work orders which are filed with the state and once written i have to act on it. There is a stack on my desk now, and they'll still be there in the mornin. Tonite i got my feet kicked up drinkin tea and readin the BOC

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    GREAT post Mellon:wink: It's great just getting out in nature and relaxing. It's not always about the biggest but the enjoyment that you have while you are out there. So many people get caught up in it has to be the biggest or it wasn't worth the effort. I say they have missed the whole purpose of being out there in the first place if that's the way they feel. I can go out and enjoy nature whether I catch or kill anything and have never lost sight of the purpose of being out there in the first place.If I'm with a friend or by myself I always enjoy the friendship and conversation or just being in natural surrounding if by myself.REPS to ya man for such a great post.:wink:

15. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thoughts and prayers to you Bryan and to you as well Jack.

16. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    amen brother you said it all right there. although i do go out to catch that trophy but in my head ya thats what im after but i know there is a chance that i will not hook up with it but am just lucky if i hook up with anything. i go fishing for the big one and for peace and mind. it is the only escpe that i have from the normal everyday pressure of modern day life. ahhh the good ol days....where have you gone....i know you all be thinking im too young to say that but truth be told i was raised up living in the country where deer run throught the corn feilds in the morning behind the house.....god do i miss those days.....:roll_eyes:

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I Pm'ed ya too.

-Jim-

18. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Great Post Brian.............THANKS for opening my eyes alittle ................i needed it !!!

Jack............hang in there brother...........things will get better .........tomorrow is a new day !!!

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    finally i went over and wet a line at Lincoln park in kettering ohio first time this year caught a 2 lb channel on liver it was fun fishing like i was a kid doing it for fun. just going fishing for the enjoyment it was more important than getting a big cat good post bryan puts things in a new light rick

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  20. catfishassassin

catfishassassin New Member

State:
    ohio
    i hear ya bryan!! thats what i did yesterday....took off work to clear my head and found myself fishing! didnt catch anything but blue gills for bait, but my theory is a day fishing w/o a catch is better than a day not fishing! but of course, that only applies to days that arent paydays.... which i shall be short on this week