Take a KID Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCatter54, Jan 26, 2008.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I just want to take a minute to tell everyone out there that if you dont have any kids of your own, tha you should look into becoming a 4h leader/instructor and teach a 4H course on fishing, I havent been one for about 2 years now becauseing I went back to school to get my construction management degree, but I can tell you that those kids had a ball, and all I did was teach them to tie a few nots, how to tie on a hook, bought a few fishing videos, for bass fishing, CATFISH mostly, crappie, excetera..... and took them trotlining with me and my buddies, had to divide up the group, but when the largest fish a kid has ever caught is a crappie and you pull in a 20lb fish in the boat, those kids go crazy!! You can bet that when I get done I will be doing something like that again, I guess the biggest reward is when you take your group out to a pond and see a kid that the first time you took them out you had to help them do everything, by the end of the course theya re damn near outfishing you doing everything by themself. I just want to suggest it to anyone who might want to do a good thing and possibly change a few kids lives a little. Now there is a little time involved, I had to go to a weekend class here in Missouri to get certified, but man, to see those kids get so excitied was worth the extra time I had to put in, and you helping to make sure thta there are gonna be people that are for supporting protecting our natural resources.

Thanks everyone, and plese give it a thought!

If there are no 4h clubs local, maybe jsut ask around and see if you could implement something at the local school to see if there are any kids that would be interested in starting a club or something. Come to think of it we chould try to start a nation wide KIDS FOR CATFISHING CLUB:big_smile:

2. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    I agree, I dont have the time most of the time to devote to a whole group of kids. But both of my kids love to go whenever I go and we also take some of my sons friends. I grew up fishing with my dad and grandad. Its just like second nature to me to do it and even if we catch absolutely nothing its still alot of fun just to go. Last summer I took my neices and nephew. Only one of them had ever been fishing. I dont think she had ever caught a fish though. By the end of the day they had all caught some nice little bluegill. I know they arent that big a deal but just to see those kids get so excited about catching something was well worth it. Now everytime I see them they always ask when we are going again.

3. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Yeah, I agree, I have two younger brothers, who were the reason why i became the 4H instructor, but it was really fun having my youngest brother who was i think 7 or 8 at the time watch him catch fish, really made me proud, and I have taken my younger cousins along to, its a lot of fun. Like you said its that excitement on there face thta makes it worth it, and the fact that you might have gotten another kid addicted to fishing!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. i tey and take my son most of the time he would rather play x-box but sometimes he likes to go. got a 10 month old. gonna work hard on him.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    My 8 year old goes with me all the time and my 5 year old is starting to show some interest.

I did get volunteered to take the boys' cubscout pack to a friend's pond (they feed the bluegill) and show them how to fish. It was cool, there were about 12 kids and a few parents. Every kid caught at least one fish and most of them would even bait their own hook and at least try to take the fish off, so it was fun for them and me. We threw them all back, so they even got a quick lesson in catch and release:wink: