Take a Kid Fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by BIG GEORGE, Dec 22, 2005.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    When ever ya can take a kid out fishin. There ain't a better feelin! LOL!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Heres a few more for your viewing pleasure.

3. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Come on George tell the truth, he took you fishin. :0a10: Great Photos!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I could not agree more! And you can learn from them sometimes, too!
    Really good pics. Thanks for sharing them with us.

5. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Their is just something about taking a little fishing that just screams good times. I have taking my daughter a few times this year and it is fun, like when I get a blue gill on the line so she can real it in. Get it to the bank and you hear daddy , daddy look what I caught isn't it cute. Of course she wont take it off the hook, but that is what makes it fun. Also last time out we were walking down the trail at Dunbar cave she hollars out lobster{at walmart she always has to run up to the tank the lobster are in} and I'm thinking lobster come on, then it dawned on me crawfish. Sure enough he was right beside us in some leaves, reached down to pick him up and it raises its claws and my daughter starts screaming hes gonna get me and runs away, funny stuff.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I got to thinking about some of the trips I've made with kids, and the pleasure I got out of it, too.
    Some suggestions to remember when taking a child fishing:
    1. Keep it simple
    2. Start with short trips
    3. Begin with smaller species
    4. Focus more on participation rather than catching
    5. Share the experience
    6. Teach them about catch and release
    7. and most important be patient.

In addition to the kids, remember that there are also a lot of adults out there who don't get to fish or enjoy the outdoors. I enjoy taking some of them along when I can, too. My stepdad is 87 and in very poor health, can't get out much, but wants to go fishing again really bad (It's been several years since he was able to go). It won't be easy, but I hope to carry him after the weather warms this spring; it will probably be the last time for him.

7. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I started taking my daughter when she was 2, she's now 13 and quite a good fisherwoman. Does her own baiting, taking fish off, etc.

My son was 3 months old when we started taking him. I told my wife it's never to early. He is now 4 and loves fishing!! I don't think he would ever forgive me if I went and didn't take him. He has caught trout, bass, gills, me, the truck, etc. He is tons of fun & the best partner I ever had! He will also stay all day or night and gets pi$$ed when I say it's time to go home.

One additional piece of advice is to take lots of drinks (especially in the summer), fruit snacks (there not full of sugar), and any other favorite snacks they enjoy.

Put up a shade for them if bank fishing or take an umbrella if in the boat. You can attach an umbrella to the back of their seat if necessary. Also let them take a nap if they want/will.

You might even take some of their toys when their attention needs some help. Plus if they have something to do they don't get bored as easy.

Remember this is about having fun with your children, not just catching fish. If they enjoy the early trips they will end up being great fishing partners. Then you don't get the evil eye from the wife every time you mention going fishing, especially since you are taking the kids with you!

8. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Great post.....well I'm still a Semi-kid..... :D But my dad started taking me fishing when I was about 4 years old I started out catching bream and bass in a pond beside my house. I know I was probaly aggerating to my dad sometimes because I always would get my line tangled and stuff......but he's a great dad and never gave up and kept taking me fishing.....until one day he took me channel catfishing in a river when I was about 8 yr old. I caught a nice Channel cat and then ever since then I just loved to fish. Now my dad and I are fishing partners and go fishing at least every week throughout the whole year....we alway's have a great time even if we dont catch anything.
    I wouldnt trade a fishing trip with my dad for anything! :)

good luck :)

9. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    It seems I was almost always too busy most of the time to take mine fishing but here are a few pics and one with the Grandson, I am not going to make the same mistake twice!

Attached Files:

10. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    A few more that I found.

Attached Files:

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Yes indeed take that grandson as much as possible. My father took me alot as kid, even though the military took up most of the time. I am going to make sure that my youngin goes more with me, especialy when she is just a wee bit older. She has some tomboy in her so I am sure she is gonna enjoy fishing more and more as she gets older.

12. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    Got you beat Katmaster Jr. My parents took me fishing (on a trip to Minnesota) while I was still in diapers, and NO! that's not yesterday (before anybody makes the joke). They said I was holding a pole and catching fish (with their help) before I could walk. I don't have no pictures of me fishing, but I have pictures of me on our second Minnesota trip with turtles (when I was 3). I've got a picture of my brother fishing. However, don't just limit it to taking a kid fishing. I have taken a few friends fishing who have never been fishing before. Offer to take any one fishing who has never done it before, both young and old!

Attached Files:

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I've got you beat too!..... Look at my profile pic and look at yours......LOL....Just kidding man.

Your right, I've taken people older than me fishing that have never really fished before and now they are fishing alot and getting alot better too! Not everyone is fortunate enough to have someone in thier family that takes them fishing when thier a kid, and they never really go fishing.....so they dont know how great it is to....get out....enjoy nature....and fish! :)

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    he gets board till we catch something. hates the boat when we drift. he don't like the rocking but he loves it when dad lets him drive.

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    oops. here it is.

16. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Way to go guys! I rounded up a few neighborhood kids for a trip and they loved it!

Attached Files:

17. ohiocattracker

ohiocattracker New Member

State:
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Man this thread makes me miss fishing with my son enjoy all the time you can they grow up quick.My son now 23 is a fireman and we dont get to go often anymore and dont have any pic's because never had took any of fishing till joining the BOC never thought about pic's of fish would have been nice to have lol.

18. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    And great pics. I always take little bro and sister whenever I can. Madison is almost 11 months now and I can't wait to take her. Here are a few pics from where I have taken my little cousin, brother, and little brother in law.

19. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Heres a pic from November when i took my 5 year old girl fishing by the newburgh dam on the Ohio River. We caught over a hundred stripers/hybrids/suager in a few hours. She really liked all the rocks and shells on the beach too. She's been bugging me to take her there again.

Attached Files:

20. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is great to take them fishing when they are young..Unfortunatly my son discovered girls at age 15, and I have lost him for the past 3 years!:D