Take a kid fishing.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by slabmaster, Mar 31, 2006.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have a 6 year old daughter affectionatly known as "Trotline Bait" she has caught a couple of trout and some goggle eye. this weekend will be her first time for a white bass run. im going to get a bucket of minnows and some corks and bait 3 or 4 rods and stick em in the rod holders and every time one goes off its all hers.

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is going to be a fun trip and one thrilled little girl :), have a great time!

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Good for you Rex. I have 2 grand children that I do that to and they love it.

We have an org. here that is called kids of the community that I am a proud helper in and every year we take these kids to a pretty good size private lake here and stay the whole day.
    These kids come from locale homes that the parents are either in jail or have been and some are recovering drug addicts and it does a world of good.
    We go out to the local merchants and get donations of fishing tackle and give out for prizes but the kicker is there is no kid in the group that doesn't win something.
    We have about 150 kids now.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Now thats what I'm talkin about! Way to go Rex!

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sounds like a trip she will remember for a long time Rex.

Willard, great to hear that you are helping out in the community like that, we all need to do it more!

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I still take my son fishing. He's 29.
    Bill

7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    My avatar shows the first fish my son caught a bluegill. We are both real excited about going fishing again this year, my hope and prayer is that fishing is something he will stick with the rest of his life.

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    WOw way to go......Cant wait till im taking my son

9. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Johnny, I Tell You What, It Will Not Be Long Before Your Son's Tying Knots And Sharpening Hooks. A Few Years From Now May Seem Like An Eternity, But My Son Turned 10 About 2 Weeks Ago. I Can't Believe He Grew Up So Fast. Enjoy Them While They Are Little, Cause It Doesn't Last Long!

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Rex, that's a wonderful thing that you are doing for your daughter, as are all you other dads, granddads and surrogate granddads that take kids fishing :thumbsup: After years of working with troubled adults, I have come to realize that so many of them did not have a dad or other male role model that spent any time with them. Accordingly, they grew up feeling worthless, unlovable, unwanted, hurt & angry. I am so pleased to see that so many of you share your time with the little ones!!! You are all wonderful people.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Great Rex, I'm doing the same thing tomorrow with my 5 year old boy!

12. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    Great job Rex. My daughters have learned to love the outdoors from all of our fishing trips. I wish I would have known my step sons before they got into video games...I'm still working on them though.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I once read some where if you never take a child fishing or hunting before their 12 birthday, the child will not acquire the incentive to hunt or fish. They will look toward other things to occupy their minds.

14. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    wtg bro i agree take a kid fishing. i also have 3 girls and plan on taking 2 of them fishing my youngest is olny 6 but it want be long till she get to go to

15. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    we had a blast. get this her very first fish was a 2 lb catfish. the crappie were up on the banks and i pitched her a minnow on a cork up in about 3 foot of water. i was rigging another rod when she started squeeling. i have never heard her laugh so much in all her life. about half way thru the battle she tried to give me the rod aand i wouldnt take it. we made a grip adjustment and got her rod tip up and when she got control of the fish superman couldnt have got her rod away from her. we caught white bass, crappie and channel cats. played with minnows,ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.drank some ice cold dr pepers.took turrns driveing the boat and she even helped me clean and eat the fish . and on the way home from the lake she already planned our trip next weekend. the catfish she caught first was her first fish to hook , play and land on her own.i doubt i will ever forget it.

16. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was prepaired for her being bored. i put her sleeping bag ,coloring book , crayons, a book to read and a couple of toys of her choice in a dry bag. we made one pretty long run up the lake and she colored a picture while we were running but after that she was all buiseness.

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Good job taking the kid's. I recently started taking my 6 year old cousin fishing and he's really loving it! I can't wait to take him again, so far all I've hooked him up with were some Bream and very small Channel Cat's. That's all it took though, now he can't wait for me to take him again.

I also took my friend's little brother fishing the other day, he's like 8 or so and nobody ever bothered to take him fishing. He heard me talking about fishing last week and asked if he could come sometime. So I took him this past weekend for those big Hickory and American Shad. Too bad they weren't biting though. But I can tell he is going to get good at fishing if someone will just take him more often because he just loved being out on the water.....it's sad nobody had taken him before. He said I was actually the first one to teach him how to cast! That actually make's me feel kind of good, now if I can just get him out there more.

So yes I agree, take a kid fishing! That's how I got started and now I wouldn't trade a fishing trip with my dad for anything!

Zakk

18. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Way to go guy!!!! Rep points for all!

19. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I commend anyone that takes the time to take a kid fishing. While I have no kids (not two-legged ones anyway...lol) I have had the joy of watching nieces and a nephew squeal in excitement as they caught fish when I took them fishing.

I am in my mid 50s and have done/seen more than a lot of people my age and out of it all my very best memories are those of the fishing trips with my dad through my childhood. If I live to be 100 those trips will always be my most cherished childhood memories.

I always tell people if they get the chance, teach a kid to fish. Even of it doesn't change a life, it can become a lifelong, cherished memory!