Take a child fishing.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TOPS, Nov 19, 2005.

1. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I read somewhere if a child does not go fishing before the 12th birthday, that child may not develop the drive to become fisherman. I do not know if this is true but all my children love to fish because they were on the water at 7,8,9,10 years old. At 11 and 12 I would let them go alone.( all can swim). my daughter still grabs her rod and banks fish to this day. she will catch gills and bring to me as she is walking thru the door" Dad I have you some bait!!" :D :D

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Boy, that's great to read. All my kids and grands started really early as well, and they love it to this day, though the kids don't get to go as often as they would like, due to work schedules and other stuff.

3. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    That's my problem, I don't get to go as often as i want to. I can't wait until next summer, hopefully I'll have my license. I'll be fishing every chance I get.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I took my son fishing alot starting at age 5, he stopped likeing to go fishing at age 13, when he discovered girls..Now at 18 he hates to fish, because he likes girls, says no time for both..And that fishing is boring, and girls are not :D

5. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Flat, my son went thru the same thing. he got girl crazy and stopped but now he is 27 and loves to fish. He has two children that I take often. they love it.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Verlon, I hope he comes around agin some day..But I fear he may be lost to the dark side :D

7. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    ive been taking my daughter along with me since she was about 2 or so,it wasnt until this year that she actually would reel or atleast try to reel in fish lol,she is almost 4 yrs old and i cant leave the house without her kickin and screaming wanting me to take her fishing,and most times i have no problem taking her but thier are some places a 4yr old doesnt need to go,to dangerouse,so i just tell he i have to go pay bills lol.she is working on her casting,bu ti think she can cast further behind her then i can foward lol.maybe i should should face her away from the water when she takes a cast lmao

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well it worked with me and all my Brothers, but my son is like Flats. At 29 he is still on the dark side, GOLFING. LOL. Hope one day he returns to fishing.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    call my grandaughter today to let her know we will coming in for Turkey day, the first thing she said are we going fishing? she is 11 years old. :D :D

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You can always tell him that girls cost more money than fishing does. And when you get hooked while fishing, you can unhook yourself rather easily, unlike with girls,LOL!!!

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    started last year on mine at age 5. he gets board a lot but the excitement when we catch one is worth it all. he caught a 3# channel the first time out. since then a few gills and a drum. hes getting pretty good with casting. his luck is great. we went to catfish connection to meet up with a few brothers for a coffee chat and get a lil tackle. after an hour or so me bearcat and chush b were getting ready to head to the pana bowling alley for lunch. as we checked out my boy wanted the last sponge bob zebco that was there. john forgot to ring it up and told him its on the house cause he had been so good and paitent with all of us. lol. :D WHAT LUCK.

i found an old plano 6300 tackle box at my wifes grandmas house. there cleaning it out cuz she had to be put in a nursing facility at age 89 :eek: .

it looks real old but never used. in the house too so it looks brand new. every time i go to the store i get 4-5$ worth of stuff. hooks some bobbers and grub worms and such. got is 1/2 full now. i plan on filling it with a fillet knife pliers and everything he will need to go. then when hes ready to go to the creek by himself fishing with the other kids and says "dad can i use your tackle box?" ill kindly reply "no son i have one right here for you, now don't loose it and take care of your stuff." i figure this will help teach the virtue of taking care of whats yours so youl have it next time. but i dought it. seems like i didn't learn that till i was 30. last year, lmao.

12. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Thats exactly what my parents and older brothers tell me. I guess I'll have to find a girl that likes to fish. That will be hard around here, considering I only know about 2 other boys who fish.

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    self, Put an add in the paper Wanted a girl that likes to fish and owns a boat, P.S. please send a picture of the boat!! ;) ;) :D

14. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    This is funny because after church yesterday this kid (i didnt even know him) comes runnin up to my truck and says "can i go fishin with you". At first i was thinking how does this kid even know im a fisherman, but then i figured it out. He could see my rods through the back seat area. My point is, so few kids get an opportunity to fish because most of this generation of parents dont take them. But if some of us who grew up fishin, love to fish, and fish quite often would volunteer to take some of these kids fishing....I found the boy's mother, but as it turns out, i dont know her either. I told her what the boy said and she said "thats too funny, I dont know why he wants to fish so bad, nobody I know fishes". to make a long story short. The mother wouldnt agree with the idea of takin him fishin this time of year, but said i could take him some time...But this thread has given me an idea. I dont know how much warm weather is left to come this year but, Lord willing, I hope to get a couple of villas at short stay some time and take a bunch of the kids fishin...