Tailwaters of Melton Hill Dam-Slow Fishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by festus, Aug 21, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

This past week I went below Melton Hill Dam (Clinch River) twice to fish for anything that was hitting. It's rained 3 or 4 inches this week, so the water was really rising both days. Nothing happening either day. The first day I saw someone on shore on the opposite side (lock side) catch a 20 pound striper on a RedFin. There was no shad running the banks either day. Another thing, no one in boats either day caught anything. My first day I got a bite on the first cast on a bluegill fillet, nothing after that. Tried bluegill fillets both days=nothing. I broke my striper outfit out both days, used 1-1/2 oz. jigs and Wildeyed shad swimbaits=nothing.

Enter plan B. The first day I ran into a friend and talked him into following me to a private pond I have access to. We each caught at least a dozen bluegills each averaging 8" to 10". My friend says he'd never seen bluegills anything near that size, let alone catch one. This pond is about 4-5 acres, 20' deep, stocked with largemouth, bluegill, Georgia Giant hybrid bream, and channel catfish. There are also 7 grass carp in there for weed control. My friend hooked up with one of these carp using bread balls. It weighed 20-1/2 pounds, I netted it, we released it. We didn't catch any catfish, but I know there's some in there in the 30 pound range, maybe even bigger. Also we both caught a few largemouth on assorted lures, but nothing over a pound. The second day I fished the pond using artificals and nightcrawlers only, caught several bass and bluegill, HUGE bluegills, and again, no catfish. This pond is at my girlfriend's workplace, and her boss designed the landscaping. He says the catfish almost strictly hit only at night. I can fish it any night I want, just haven't tried it yet. I will post whenever I get around to it.

One more thing--I seldom see anyone from East Tennessee posting on here, is anyone out there besides Frank Craddock?

2. festus

festus New Member

Went back today, fished with chicken livers, didn't catch a catfish but had a 22" striper hit the liver. Didn't see any shad or skipjacks. Stripers were also hitting topwater Pencil Poppers and Redfins. I caught a smaller striper on a 4-1/2" Devil's Horse, one fellow in a boat caught one about 30 pounds. I fished a pond down the road a couple miles and caught some huge bream and small bass, but no catfish. :sad2:

3. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    ARe you having catfish withdrawls? LOL I would be.

4. festus

festus New Member

Yeah I am Jugger. My two best spots for catfishing are now off limits to bank fishermen. :sad2: Kingston Steam Plant and Bull Run Steam Plant security has tightened, and TVA is even running off boats from Bull Run at times. :angry: