Tailwater Fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jay gibson, Jun 11, 2009.

1. jay gibson

jay gibson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am considering giving it a go below Barkley/Kentucky dams...

My question concerns methods: Do I just run up to the walls and drop out a line with a heavy sinker (how heavy? 3-way swivel rig?) and drift it backwards, fighting the current with the motor to control drift? Anchor off in near the dam and drop a live bait straight down? Others?

Thanks for the anticipated thoughtful replies.

A catfishing novice...

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fish beneath Barkley dam quite a few times a year . ( from the bank . ) There is a guy I see there pretty freqently that uses a very short rod a motors around in the boils very dangerous for someone that is not familiar with doing that kind of thing. Anchoring isn't a very good idea it will get hung in bad rocks the key to fishing there for me is fishing the boils with shad ,skipjack or night crawlers . If they aren't generating fish don't bite well . I haven't fished there but once for jacks this year the water has been over the rail making bank fishing the boils impossible . Good luck and BE SAFE !

3. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Jay,
    Im not familure with thoses two dams but here is what I do and I have real good luck,,
    Anchor up right at the edge of the fast water and the slack water "not in the fast water" and drop baits in the seam where the two meet, the fish will hang in that area waiting for food to go by while they spend as little efort fighting the current, There are definently fish in the fast water but this will get you familure with being around in the area of the tailrace and you can watch what other people are doing while you learn the area and catch fish, Be cairfull down there and wear a life jacket at all times..:wink:
    One other thing take a close look at your boat and think about if it will handle the water down there, if there is a question in your mind don't go, things can happen real fast up next to the dam, so be ready..
    Hope this helps buddy,
    Puddle

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    One of the techniques that have produced in tailwaters is drifting live/cut bait on a 3-way rig. What I do is idle up into the current to the "dam line", cast my bait up stream towards the face of the dam and drift backwards while bumping the bottom with the weight. Remember to use a light line to connect your weight to the 3 way or else you will get hung up and lose the whole rig...alot. There is a fine line between fish "takes" and getting hung up on the bottom but you will learn with time, this method produces some monsters!! plus it keeps you entertained instead of just sitting there waiting for a bite. God only knows what you will catch with live shad or bluegills could be any variety of hard fighting fish. If you anchor up then keep a sharp knife next to your anchor line to cut just in case there is trouble. Stay safe and wear your pfd! Oh, and you gotta post up pics of your catches.

Bill

5. jay gibson

jay gibson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thank you fellas, I appreciate the tips.

6. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    when i go to kentucky lake once year, i usually drift around and
    use my trolling motor next to the dam, and below the dam just a little bit
    when i find the fish i stay put. anchor with knife close by.
    weights- no current 3 oz 6-8 heavy current