Tailrace river/channel in south carolina

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by snooker_hooker, Mar 16, 2006.

1. snooker_hooker

snooker_hooker New Member

State:
    sc
    anybody have any info on this. i have fished it once with no luck by the dam. i am thinking about putting in at bushy park by the weapons station.
    is there any bait shops in the area that carry herring?

2. chris369145

chris369145 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
    You can usually catch skips in the spring behind the dams on jigs

3. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    tommy can you move this for me. thanks.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    No big deal, Nick. We'll cut it short and move on. I don't think Anglers carrys herring, but they usually have shiners and minnows. Atkins Landing in Moncks Corner on the lake should have herring now. You can look up the number pretty easy. They are about the only place that I know of set up for them, and it's best to call ahead. The commercial herring season is going on now, so they probably have them. You should be able to catch your own just below the dam on sabiki rigs. Just put a 3/8 or 1/2 oz weight on one end, cast out and let it settle toward bottom. If you don't feel any hit, try dropping it straight down and slowly jig it up and down vertically about 3-4' at a time, you may have to experiment to find the depth they're at. There should be plenty of other boats there fishing for herring and shad.
    I haven't fished enough in the Cooper to tell you where to go, but I understand most of them are caught in the river, near the rice field openings on falling or slack tide. Once the tide starts rising good, they would probably move into the rice fields to feed.
    Good luck, let me know how you do.

5. snooker_hooker

State:
    sc
    i am still up in the air on where to go. tail race or the lake. i dont know why i like the lake so much more. i dont know if it is the challage or just being out there. the one thing that i love about the lake is there are empty boat ramps. i cant stand busy boat ramps. ill keep you all posted on where im going and how i do.

6. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I ususally catch the big sea run herring on the lake side of the dam. I catch them right in front of the walk way that extends out from the dam. I tie 4 or 5 gold, standard shank or long shank hooks, spaced about 8 inches apart to some 6 or 8 lbs. test and it does me good. Use a 1/2 oz. weight I'll catch 15 or 20 of them in about 5 minutes and I am ready to go. They'll be around 10 inches long and thats a lot of cut bait. If you don't catch any, Atkins Landing is your best bet.