tailrace canal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by ductman82, Jun 27, 2008.

1. ductman82

ductman82 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i was just wondering if any one here does any fishing in the tailrace i never here any kind of reports on it i went out on monday night and caught 6 blues all between 5 to 15 pounds all caught on cut and stink bait any other reports would be helpfull:big_smile:

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I used to fish it some. Shad and herring are great for cut bait up there when they are running. The rest of the time I would use cut mullet or menhaden.

There's channel cats in there, too, but for some reason they would almost never hit my cut baits, just dip or dough baits.

Too bad you can't fish above the RR after dark, I bet you could get some big boys up there!

3. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    About 15 years ago my band played a gig at the park there on the canal for the Fourth of July. My buddy and I thought it would be cool to bring a boat and do a little fishing afterwards. We took a few ladies out on the water to watch the fireworks and then we waited for the crowd to thin out before heading back out to fish. Neither of us had ever been on the canal before so we were unaware of the restrictions after dark. It was well past 11:00 pm before we got up to that area and all we had were running lights, flash lights, and bud lights so we missed the sign all together. Fished until sunrise right next to some sort of pipe there. We caught about 30 fish in all though nothing of any real size. I still remember commenting that the fishing must have been incredible because we could see other boats below us but no one else ever moved up into the area we were fishing and we were stroking them. At some point I do remember being awakened by the sound of a baitclick followed by the sound of a muffled splash. I had snuck off with an old Ambassadeur that my dad had received as a wedding present. I ended up casting and dragging in search of it for the rest of the night (I had to grow up a little more before finding the testicular fortitude to finally own up to that one.) In the morning we saw the signs on the way out, but hey, what can ya do? We loaded up and came home and I've only been back once since, a windy night with temps in the high 30's and not even a bite. Needless to say this is not my favorite fishing hole.

4. ductman82

ductman82 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yeah it does suck you cant fish past the trussle after dark i will go the other way though towards the rice paddies i always catch something but im gonna try mullet thanks brother