Tailrace Canal-where did the Cats go?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN, Dec 16, 2009.

1. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Thats what I want to know.I hit the hole and got zero bites in 6 hours.
    The water was actually moving,so I figured this was a guarantee of success,but no dice.Did get to practice with the new Shimano Spheros 18000 with 100lb PP....MAN that is one badazz reel.I cant wait to get something big on it,but the way its looking its gonna be next spring before I get em.Anyway I was fishing.....not thinking about it at the house.

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they should be there try the deeper holes

3. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I got the "catdaddy" spot on the Tailrace.If they are not biting there,there just not biting.

More than a hole its around 32 ft steady and comes up towards the bank.Just over this edge is where the big boys play.Ibelieve they have moved down to the river in deeper holes and without a boat I must wait until they return and then its on again.:big_smile:

4. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    Where is there to fish on the river from shore that you have a chance at catching something? My buddy just got out of the Marines and has been wanting to go, but we never fished much from the shore. He called me and I was stumped.

Thanks for the help.

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    The tailrace Canal has numerous places you can try from shore.If it was
    the first week of March I would show you.If you are dead set on going now pm me and I will give you some directions.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Keith, I just got off the phone with rivercatsc and he said they caught 18 in the tailrace canal today, with 4 over 20#. They used gizzard shad and eels. 'Course they were in his pontoon. He said he marked a LOT of fish up and down the canal. He said the water was running when they got there and the fish bit good. Then he said they cut the water off and they bit fair. Right before they left, they cut the water back on and they started biting good again.

Bill in SC

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Thats the trick is knowing when the water is gonna run.Sounds like he knows his stuff.I guess my day I was there was just the wrong time.I guess Ill hit it again this weekend if the weather will allow.Thanks for the good news.I really didnt want to shut it down for the winter,but lately I havent had a bite.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll be down there off and on all winter. You are welcome to do a trip with me.

BB in SC

9. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I would love to do that.I aint much on boats,but Im learnable.:smile2:

Somehow I didnt realize you were close by?

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    About two hours from here. I usually stay a couple of days at the time. I'll PM you my cell number.

BB

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I was just thinking it was probably the bait I was using.I could see where shad would be the ticket.Havent used a eel since my striper fishing days.
    I got a buddy that has a few shad I can get-I will find out if that will do it
    for me.Again thanks.

Note:I was using large herring

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I thought most of the Tailrace is a pretty even 18 or 20' deep or so. I didn't know there's any place where there's 32' of water. Trust me, though, there are cats in the Tailrace 12 months a year. The American shad will be running up there soon, and the cats will be tuned in to that buffet. They can get a little finicky based on weather and such, though. With the water getting pretty cool, they don't have to feed every day, so a cold front can shut them down for a bit.

13. fire02

fire02 New Member

State:
    SC
    There are some really deep spots in the Tailrace. Last time I took the boat out there I found some around 50-55 ft deep.

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    There is supposedly a pretty steady depth thru much of it as it was originally dug by a steam shovel way back when,but a boater told me the spot Ive been doing well at was 32ft then coming up towards the bank where I fish at where there is a steep drop off.This is where the fish lay in wait I guess.I appreciate the info on the fishing there though as this is my first year back catfishin in many years.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Im with John there ain't much water over about 20ft every where i went I sure would like to find a 30-50ft hole Im sure they would be there

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I haven't seen holes that deep either. Must be up next to the dam, but they don't allow you up that far. I even heard tells from folks that catmen sneak up above the sign and fish right at the base of the dam in a deep hole (lights out so they won't get caught:smile2:) caught a 100lb cat and also another large cat. Don't know if this is true, but i just don't believe catmen lie:smile2::smile2:. I did see pic's of the 100lb catfish and later heard that is were he was caught. Another dam tell i guess:crazy:

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Dean, Are you sure that wasn't you sneaking up to fish the dam at night?:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

18. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Actually if you come down the tracks and go down the right side of the trestle there is a path that puts you down to the right of the trestle.I have fished that spot for years and years.A nice long cast puts you well inside the 200ft rule....legally.Atleast I have never had anyone say anything to me,because you are fishing from outside the sign.And yes there are some big cats there.I have always fished there in March and April especially,but I may have to change that.

As for the depths of the canal....who knows.I always got my info from boaters with depth finders.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009