Tailpipe under water?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by odtimr, Jul 6, 2009.

1. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Looking for ideas: Good, Bad, or Ugly. I fish mostly out of my little 14ft Starcraft with a 6hp motor. Launch & retrieve is a bugger. I can put my 17 ft in by driving it off & back on the trailer no sweat. The little one will not float off & on until I have the tailpipe on my van under water. I really don’t see the difference in height of the trailers, but it just don’t go. I can push it off, but comes off real hard and kind of hard on the Odtimr wading when its cold. I put a set of plastic bunk glides on and helps some, but not enough. With the boat off, the rollers seem to be ok. My question is: I have been told if the vehicle dies with the tailpipe under water it will suck the water back into the engine ruining it. My van, like me, is sooo old wouldn’t surprise me if either of us gasps at any time. Any truth to this: water back into the engine? Thanks for replies.
    Luck

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i cant see that happening it would have to fill the whole exhaust up to get to the motor if it got into the intake it would suck it up exhaust pipes dont suck they blow unless you have a burnt vavle and it will suck alittle

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    with the van at an angle backing down a ramp it would not be a problem. However if you are on level ground and the tailpipe is in the water and it dies that is another story. The water would not get sucked into the motor through the exhaust but if it could just run in from gravity then you have a problem.

5. sierra1797

sierra1797 New Member

State:
    TN
    I had an old truck that I used to back up to a bank and load my lawnmower in the bed. The bank worked fine, the problem was, when I would start up and pull away, my tailpipes would be full of dirt and crap.
    So I went to Advance and bought some ninety degree tailpipe extensions and some clamps. Crawled up and under the truck, cut the pipes off right behind the back tires, and put the ninties and clamps on exiting behind the tires. Yeehaw, no more dirt in tailpipes. But anyways, maybe you can get some nineties like that and when you get to the boat ramp, clamp them on, pointed up, and when you get ready to leave, just take them off. I know they're not wateerproof, but I'm sure it will help some.
    Might be worth a try.

6. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    most boat motors exaust out around the prop under water and when you shut them off you dont see them sucking water up into them. I have always heard that as well but have yet ever seen it happen and I live here at a lake. but if it was a consern I would look at extending the trailer tonge.

7. hawkerhino

hawkerhino New Member

State:
    KY
    IMO you have nothing to worry about, most car motors now will not run backwords when shut down. unlike some old cars and lots of small engines, remember that lawn mower that would run forever after you shut the key off???

even if it did cough backwards it would have to run for several minutes as i would estimate a exhaust holding about 4 gallons of water. more than likley if it did happen the muffler would get full and restrict the backflow of air so much it would kill the motor anyway and would not make it all the way to the motor.

now something to look at is lots of cars and trucks now have the air intake tube mounted such that it pulls air from under the front bumper area. so you might want to look at this if you have to back down very far to launch.

one thing you might try to help launch easier is to raise the ball height receiver. i have noticed on some trailers they launch better nose high.

just my 2 cents worth.......

8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I heard the same thing but don't know if its true.Maybe we should write Mythbusters and get them to test it.

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    why can't you turn off the vehicle if it takes that much time to launch, i personally use my 04 f150 to launch my boat(21 ft center console fiberglass)and when the lake is down i have to back up till my front tires are in the water sometimes:eek:oooh: never had a problem yet, as long as the vehicle stays running it wont hurt it at all, either that or i just set the parking brake and turn it off...if you are worried about it not starting after you shut it off, it is the same thing if it dies & doesnt start again!!!! but it will not suck water in the engine either way!!!!!!!!! you have anywhere from 6 to 10 ft of muffler pipe then catalytic converters, and then the manifolds before it gets in the engine, that's alot of water, doubt it will ever happen

10. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. I am now just shutting my eyes and not looking at that tailpipe. Last time got in so deep the bow eye on the boat slipped under the roller stop, and had to pull back out some to undo it.
    I have found J C Whitney sells a slip in hitch extension bar up to 18" in length believe I will give that a try. 18" might make the difference.
    About time to start bank fishing the river nights now.
    Luck

11. grandfisher

grandfisher Member

State:
    missouri
    On newer vehicles, what you need to be more concerned about is the electronic sensors being submerged. Especially transmission sensors. They're supposed to me sealed and water-proof, but a bad seal can lead to the failure of a sensor. Happened to several people I know. I personally back my own truck out into the lake till water's comin in the doors. (shallow launch) I had my dual exhaust ran out the back and angle slightly upwards just for shallow launches. Not to try to keep water out or anything, it just looks awesome when I'm 25' from the bank in 2.5 feet of water and my exhaust is shooting water 2 feet in the air! I guess I enjoy the sound a little too much!