Tail Water At Dams

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MRR, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :confused2: CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN HOW THEY FIGURE THE DEPTH OF THE WATER AT THE DAMS? MAINLY THE TAIL WATERS. LIKE UP AT SAVERTON DAM ITS AROUND 6-7 FT. CLARKSVILLE/WINFIELD IT AT 16/17.HOW DO THEY FIGURE THAT AND HOW CAN THERE BE THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE IN DEPTHS. ANY HELP ON THIS IS APPERICATED.

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Do you mean the USGS? I'm not sure that number means a whole lot.

ps your capslock hey seems to be stuck down.

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    As long as the currents not too strong, I'll usually just wade in. If it goes over my head, I know not to step there from now on.:big_smile: That's all I know about tellin' depths.

-Red

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you are talking about the USGS all it really tells you is how much th water level has been changing in the last few days. It can give you an indication of how much water they are letting through dams, how consistent the water flow has been, etc.

The best thing to do to find out the actual depth in the tailwaters is to talk to the old-timer locals. I know here at LOZ there are many that were here when they built the Truman Dam, so they have a lot of info they can pass on. Failing that, a good highly detailed contour map will tell you the lay of the land under there. I haven't been able to find one for upper LOZ yet. They sell a lot of low detail maps that say the depth below Truman Dam is only 10 to 20 foot.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I *think* that those numbers are related to the actual elevation above sea level. A reading of 6 might be 906 or 806 feet above sea level, etc. As Taliesin said, I'm not sure it helps much in determining depth, it's just a number you can use for comparison to conditions at the same dam at a previous point in time.

6. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I thought it meant how high above bottom the water release was located from the spillway bottom. Or the depth of the spillway water pool.

7. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Need a volunteer to research the question, the answer, and the related issues of published water numbers. A nice post on what they mean and how they can be useful to us would then be in order. Are there any volunteers, or do we have to assign this homework to someone? :big_smile: