TAIL RACE CANAL

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by FISH ON!, May 1, 2009.

1. FISH ON!

FISH ON! New Member

State:
    south carolina
    can anyone tell me where some good spots for catfishin in the tail race are?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome, Ryan! The entire length of the canal is good, but some areas produce better at certain times. The mouth is good, as is the area where it discharges into Lake Moultrie. The shallows outside that area can be good for catfish, as well as shellcrackers; worms fished on the bottom for them. The rock pile (look for huge rocks on both banks) provide a current break that often holds fish, especially flatheads.

3. FISH ON!

FISH ON! New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the help ive always fished the lake and would like to start doin some river fishin, you say where the water discharges where is that at? i didnt think you could fish up that close? what kinda bait is good i generally use shrimp or live bream or some other type of small panfish

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ryan, I apologize; I was thinking of the diversion canal, for some reason. I didn't read close enough. :embarassed:
    Still, the same applies to the tail race. It's about 4 miles from the dam to the Cooper River. The area near the railroad trestle is good when there is current. I seldom fish over there myself, but some big blues are caught in the area. Live or fresh cut bream is best for them, but you should be able to pick up some channels with the shrimp or night crawlers.

5. FISH ON!

FISH ON! New Member

State:
    south carolina
    ok thanks yea we have a lakehouse near the diversion canal i never do any good in it though i always loose tackle adn no fish.