Tail or No tail

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by cheppy, Sep 3, 2009.

1. cheppy

cheppy New Member

State:
    pa
    Read on the forum somebody cuts off the tail of their live baits. Is this a popular practice? Why would you do this ?

Thanks for any info.

Tight lines

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    you don't have to cut the whole thing off. just cut the fin back to almost the base. people do it cause the bait will be in distress sending out more vibrations in the water and also a little more scent in the water to attract the cats. also it slows the bait down and makes it easier for the cats to catch.

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

That is definitely the reasoning behind that theory. Haven't tried it, so I cannot tell you if it makes a difference or not. Part of a theory that I have is that all game fish sometimes are in a mood to just kill as many baitfish as possible and sometimes they will feed on almost anything. If the catfish was in a mood to kill as many baitfish as possible, wouldn't it pick out the easy targets first. That is part of this theory also. That has been my observation with other species of fish like crappies, LM & SM Bass and even bluegill. Hope this helps to explain.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Cutting the tail off the fish would kill it thus defeating the purpose of live bait!

5. I have heard that and tried that, just trimming the webbing of the fin with scissors, and it doesn't make a bit of difference bite wise in my opinion:confused2:

If, anything it helps to keep the baitfish from tangling your line up in cover, but I don't waste my time with that tactic anymore.:cool2:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I dont like to jsut because i dont have much luck with dead bait, but if we had more blues where i am it amy have better results, personally never caught a flat on dead bait

7. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    the only clipping i do is snipping the spines off my bullhead. If you want to try fin clipping, don't cut into the fish itself. Just trim some fins to see if the distressed fish gets more bites. Fish an intact bait and a clipped bait side by side to form your own opinions.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont cut the tail off, but I do cut the head off and use the head for bait...I never, ever use live bait for flatheads.

9. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    A lot of us here in SC do it....it doesn't kill them, that is a false statement. All of my cats are caught using cut bait or live bait with the tails cuts....the proof is there ; )

Its done to keep the fish in place , bleed, and labor more.

-Jim-

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I've caught decent flats on both live and on just heads flats change their tastes as well as people, do you eat the same thing everyday?I think flats like variety sometimes too just my opinion,Jim

11. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Took the words right from my mouth. :big_smile:

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    one of the main reasons I sometimes trim down the tail fin is it will cause the bait to struggle much harder to swim as his tail won't propel him as well then the bait will waggle it harder to try to escape. you DO NOT cut the whole tail off or cut into the fish itself as that would kill the bait. I mainly only do this on bigger live baits so they won't drag a floating rig around as fast. It can also help trigger a daytime bite when floated past a flathead hole as the distressed bait is sometimes to easy a meal for a big flathead to pass up even if he wouldn't be interested in chasing down a "healthy" fish. I've never seen much difference myself at night when they are active and hunting.

13. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    On a 7-10 octopus gamakatsu

3-4" Bluegills and goldfish, I will leave the tail fin alone because the big hooks tend to keep them from moveing to fast.

Anything bigger I will remove the tail fin's to slow-em down, and scratch 1/4 of the scales off of one side. Seems to draw more attention:wink:

14. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    people do it cause the bait will be in distress sending out more vibrations in the water and also a little more scent in the water . you can use scisors and just cut about an 8th. of an inch off the tail and it does the same .

15. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    WHEN I FISHED FOR STRIPERS OFF A SNAGGIN DOCK, I WOULD CLIP OFF ANN THE FINS TO MAKE EM KICK LIKE MOFO'S!!!!

TRY IT ONE DAY !!!

DONT CUT THE TAIL OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CUT THE TAIL FIN OFF!

YOU DONT ENEN HAVE TO CUT ANYWHERE NEAR THE BASE.....JUS MAKE EM STRESS MORE !!!

LeRoy