tahoe area question . . .

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dhines, Jul 13, 2009.

1. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    i have trout fished the lakes surrounding tahoe since i was a kid. since meeting my wife about five years ago, i have really gotten into catfishing. so that makes me ask, are their catfish up in the sierras? i would think no, because the water is so danged cold. but as i am about to spend a week up there, thought i would ask.

per the norm, i will be bringing up my trout fishing gear . . . just wondering if there were any lakes i could try finding a cat in.

thanks,

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    don't know about there, but in stream by sonora, ca in mountains, i've caught catfish in there and that water was real cold.
    gary

3. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    (vacation got delayed a couple of days)

we headed up to a place called echo lake, about 7300 ft elevation. place looked amazing, only problem was a major thunderstrom hit right when we got there. i will post the pic later (as i don't have it on this computer), but in a matter of 20 min about 2 - 3 inches of pea to dime sized hail covered the ground.

as i was driving my 4x4 F150, it didn't matter to me . . . but i have no idea how all the folks in regular cars got off that mountain. for those that don't know the area, echo lake is off the 50 and about a 1200 ft climb above highway 50, all done on a very narrow one lane road without a gaurdrail.

my kids were scared, but i told them . . . "there aint nothing this 4x4 can't do". of course i was really brave driving down the road peaking out at about 5mph.

:smile2:

but seriously, i am guessing most of those people got stuck up there for a few hours (minimum). goes to show, when heading up to the mountains . . . always be prepared, even in the summer.

it was a wierd feeling almost breaking out the snow chains at the end of july. if it would have been a little more slushy, i would have put the chains on. now that would have been a picture for a lifetime . . . . shorts, flip flops and snow chains.

later guys and i will let you guys know how much i beat up the trout tomorrow.

DMH and the girls vs echo lake, tomorrow 6am

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  4. dhines

dhines New Member

State:
    LA / Calexico
    btw, just confirmed that there are catfish in the tahoe keys. i didn't bring my cat gear, but next summer i will. along with the catfish there are bass, bluegill, crappie, etc.

apparently someone illegally planted some a few years ago and they took hold in the keys. of course all the 'wackos' are up in arms about their 'danger to the environment'. funny thing, when i asked one of the local guys here about what fish were endangered by these new fish, he seemed to only site fish that were also introduced by people.

bottom line, i think that lake is big enough for all of the fish . . . and seeing that next to none of the fish that now live in the lake were naturally introduced, i don't see what the issue is.

but, as i am not a biologist . . . this rant can be taken with a grain of salt.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks for the report Doug. Hope to see some pics. Beautiful country:wink:

6. mangles

mangles New Member

State:
    california
    Yea let us know how it goes. My uncle lives up there and remember as a kid catching crawdads in the rocks near the beach. We never did any fishing but did shoot some honkers and ducks in the marsh by his house.

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea... Thanks for the post Doug... glad that you could take the family up that way... The sierras can create its own weather each day, and what the hell, even down in So. Call, at San Jacinto behind Big Bear, I was back packing back a few years back and got hailed on as well... but I was at about 9,000 feet in July...

I've heard that some of the water below Crowley Lake (in the river) has some cats as well.... down near Big Pine....but I was more into trout at the time.

8. fish04

fish04 New Member

State:
    Ca.
    I have a friend in Weaverville actualy above there that has a pond full of Catfish it is fed by a cold mountain spring. He gets about one to two foot of snow each year and the cats survive there which the pond is about 25' to 45' deep. He feeds them a supplement about twice a week and the amazing thing is the barrel he keeps the feed in is up the hill from the pond about 150 - 200 yards away and when he takes the lid off the barrel and puts feed in the bucket and shakes it the cats just come to the top boiling on the surface when they hear the feed rattle. When I first saw this I thought he was pulling our leg so that evening when he was in the house I tried it and sure enough they heard me rattle the food. That just amazes me how senstive fish can hear things. We have Cats in Mc Clure, Don Pedro and New Melones which is all fed from cold mountain water so they can survive
    Fish04
    Don

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009