Tahlequah Catfish!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Kalvinc, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    I was born in Grove, OK and moved to Mena, AR in 4th grade. In 9th grade we moved to Idabel, OK and I graduated high school. I just moved to Russellville for college and they are out of housing so it is going to cost me a crapload for an apartment. My mom just got transferred to Tahlequah, OK and I am thinking about moving back there and attenting NSU. My question to you guys is, is there any catfishing (small streams/creeks/Illinois River) in the immediate surroundings of Tahlequah?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    We have Lake Tenkiller, Lake Ft Gibson, Lake Green leaf, Lake Hudson and 3 rivers all within a 1 hr drive. The Illinois is OK during the week for channels, to many floaters on it on the weekends. Tenkiller and Ft Gibson have several places to fish from the bank. More places to fish than you will have time. LOL

3. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Does Tenkiller dam have any action there? I have fished the lake, but not the dam... I think my buddy and I was at Cookson when we camped there and fished.

4. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    You have to have a trout licence to fish below Tenkiller. When they have had the water on for a long time stripers sometimes move in. If you like to catch Buffalo and Carp there are plenty.

5. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    awwww, so I take it there is trout there? My gf is from Denver, and she likes trout fishing

6. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    They catch a lot of trout down there. I have only fish for trout one time there because I wanted them for bait for big strippers.

7. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Any catfishing with 10 minute drive?

8. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    Careful,some people are VERY:confused2: sensitive about their trout(& or bass)being used to cath BIG fish:wink:

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Most would be 20 minutes. Depends on where you live, in town or at the edge.

10. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    Once we went down below Tenkiller dam just looking around and I see fisherman everywhere flyfishing. When they would catch a fish they would take them off with a towel or rag. This looked like fun so even though I don't flyfish I go home and get the wife and son and our microlight crappie rods stop by wally world and pick up trout stamps to fish there and head on down to the dam. In my hurry I forgot all about the guys using a towel to take the fish off of the hook. We started tossing out some small worms with no weight and we started catching them. When my wife first caught one I approached that thing like it must be some viscious fish with teeth, sharp gills or something. I gently inspect the fish and it was soft and the scales came off easily like a shad, and I didn't see any teeth or anything unusual that would hurt you. So I thought huh wonder why those guys are using towels the weather wasn't that cold so getting wet isn't a problem. We had been fishing for an hour or so we where all catching small 12 inch rainbow trout and then letting them go. I went to wash my hands and then the smell of those nasty little trout on my hands got in my nose. AH thats what the towel is for keeping the smell off of your hands. I washed and washed and I smelled like those fish for three days.

I bet those little fellas would make some good bait the way the smell. Me and my wife laugh about that first and only time trout fishing.

11. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    From Tahlequah you could get to Petit bay or Carters landing on lake Tenkiller in about 20 minutes. The dam is only 45 minutes away I doubt you want to catfish the dam because the water is cold. But that leaves 33 miles of Tenkiller lake to explore. The same 20 minutes could also put you in Lake Fort Gibson.