Tagging ??

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Larry Collier, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I been wondering about easy ways to tag trotlines and jugs among other things, like spoonbills. I've looked online at places who make custom dogtags but they are all kinda pricey if all you want is a dozen or two.

Anyone have an easy way to tag things? I've always just written my info on my jugs and put a soda bottle with my info inside it on my trotlines. I like the idea of dogtags if I could get them on the cheap!

2. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I have also been looking and have not found a good solution. Years ago when I kept a bunch of bird dogs there were places that made brass tags for dog collars that were impression stamped and they were not very expensive. I have not been able to find these recently. With the computer controlled lazer engravers someone should be able to come up with better pricing than I have been able to find. If you find something please post it.

3. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    There used to be a soft metal tag -- known then as a trap tag -- they were only about 15 or 20 cents apiece. I have not seen one in years and don't know if they still make them or where to find them. I too would like to have information.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    For the brass tags (like dog collars) you might try valleycreekhuntingsupply.com I know theymake the collars, and they might be happy to make you up a batch of the brass collar tags. Just a thought. BTW, they are good, good people.:smile2:

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I recently purchased 100 trapping tags for $12.00 which included the hog rings. There was an adv in Fur Fish and Game Magazine for them. You could also a roll of roof flashing, snip it into pieces and use an engraving pen to add your name and address. The tags are perfect for your jugs or perch trap.

catman george

6. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
  7. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    I don't trap so I hadn't thought of trap tags. I'll give em a try!
    Thanks

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've been using a real good label and running my info on a laser printer. Ink jet printer will fade pretty quick but laser printers info seems to last forever. My buddy bought a case of these labels, they look just like the labels they use to price the stuff at wal-mart. There are super adhesive and have lasted over 8 years on my jugs without coming off or any type of ink fade. I also use them on my limblines, just fold the label in half over the line. There made by a company called ELT 1-800-678-7001 Reorder # 125-ELT-13

9. Longhunter

Longhunter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I type my info on computer then print them out cut and then lay them out on Laminate like you use to seal card and things in the fold it over and make sure I get all the air out and a good seal then cut them out and use a paper punch to make a hole in it and use a wire tie to connect it to what ever, trout line or Jug ect.

10. FlatTopMartinD28

FlatTopMartinD28 New Member

State:
    OK
    I use a schedule 40 pvc connection. They are white. I write my info on with a permanent marker and run a string thru the center and attach it to the fish.

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    For spoonbill, I simply wipe the skin dry with a cloth and write the info directly on the skin with a laundry (magic) marker... Works every time! No one can steal your tag either!

I always used the same type marker to write on the jugs used as markers on my trotlines. "Used" is the operative word since it's too much work for this old fat man by himself now. Maybe that's the reason for the popularity of jug fishing.....