Tagging fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by MUDHOLE KID, Aug 20, 2005.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Has any of the fisherman on this fourm ever made an effort to tag their fish and see if they're ever caught again,I've marked fish before but I can't keep up with the info.I think it would be nice to catch a flathead this year ,tag it and 2 years from now catch that fish in a different area,and check the size and weight of the fish after 2 years.Has anyone tried this,if so what type tag system are you using? I've caught the same fish before and I've also caught fish I know that someone else has caught. I think it would help with the study of the fish.I have very small ear tags I use on my goats that are plastic with a number on them and I thought I'd try them.It needs to be plastic for sure. They may be a 1/4 inch wide and 1 inch long.What do you all think.Silly or interesting?

2. lunkerman

lunkerman New Member

State:
    St. Peters
    The only thing I can think is to contact your local conservation dept. I have thought about it a time or two.

3. Markfishmd

Markfishmd New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    Alot of states, dont allow this practice, make sure you are not breaking any laws.

4. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    that would be kinda cool if you did catch a fish you tagged a while a go.
    the wildlife department here is tagging flatheads and if you catch one you get some prize or something like that.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Tha sounds interesting. I would like to try that. It seems it may only work in lakes and ponds, but in rivers you might have one get caught miles away. But I guess it would ba a great place to start.

6. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Fish and game does it a lot, they have gotten a lot of good informaiton for us by this practice that we use today.

I don't personally feel that you would do any damage with a small tag on na fish and I would be curious to see if it works. The one thing to think aboiut though is I know with salmon in Alaska get snagged a lot and people break off their hooks in their backs/tails etc. Fish and game found out that it only takes a few days for the hooks to fall out of the fish, now if those are barbed hooks, how long will a tag stay in?

7. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    That sounds like a good system of tagging. I have always wondered if I caught the same fissh twice, because most of the ones I catch are the same size.

Hey Brian is that Flatthead Tagging going on at SMP?

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i know for a fact that ive caught the same bass a few times, a few years ago i caught a bass with a large worm hook in its throught then several weeks later i again caught a bass the same size and it had the same hook in the same place that summer i caught that 7 times, and a 2nd bass with a different hook 4 times, then last year i caught a small 5 inch bass that had a messed up mouth, at the end of the year about 6 months later i caught that fish again, then this year i maneged to catch the same fish and i could tell it grew about 3 inchs from the 1st time i caught it, that was also in a pond that was about a acre in size so there deffinitly is a limited amount of fish in the pond and alot less water to fish then a lake or river. now for catfish i have no clue, i do know in PA the game commision does not want recreation anglers taging fish, ive looked it up a few times. check your local fish and game commision.

9. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    That's what I was talking about in the first post as far as plastic tags,between the water and the acids in the fish a metal tag would rust out or infect the fish,I would certainly use plastic tags.I'm going to try it this fall ,it would be nice to have a name or something on there,but it's mainly for my own curiosity,so a number ,which I have would work fine.That way you could tag the fish and write down all the info and wait till he comes around again.I just think it would be fun to keep up with.I know DNR has done it for years,you catch a tagged fish and mail the tag in you get 5.00$ for it.They like a little info on it when you mail it in. :D

10. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Maybe even tag the fish like they do Marlins and sailfish. It's a plastic tube like tagging system.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Good point,I think Bill Dance use to promote a tagging system.I'll do a scearch and see what i can find.I think you can buy the tool and complete kit

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Your right and I think he mentioned turning in the numbers to the local ODR and they might have what you need to start.

13. muskie_hunter

muskie_hunter New Member

State:
    New Martinsville, WV
    there's a video out called muddy bottom monsters... and it shows the tagging of flathead catfish. (304) 853-2909 out post productions... it's great just to watch the fishing action and it's helped me to catch bigger fish! give em a call, to get a copy for yourself.

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm going to give them a call. Thanks!!

15. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    About catching the same fish twice:

About seven years ago i was fishing a river in Alaska I hooked into about a 30# King Salmon. He took me for a ride in the current and I ended up about 50 yards downstream when he finally broke my line.

Well I went back to my fishing hole retied on a setup and started fishing again. Twenty minutes later i hooked into another 30# fish. This one acted funny though, like it was tired. When I finally got him in the net, right next to my hook in his mouth was my previous set up.

I have had smilar incidents with channel cats in my new home waters. My fishing partner and i fish a lot (2-3 times a week) so the majority of the fish we catch are released. Well when using cutbait catish tend to swallow the hook even with circles. So when that happens we cut the line and let the fish keep the hook. Several times we have caught fish out there now with trebles and circles already down in their throat in fact one fish is now swimming out there with two hooks.

16. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I'm speaking with a guy with" Hallprint fish tags " he's going to get me the price of the tags and applicator.May be to much $$$$ for what I intend on doing,may just use the small plastic ear tags,cheaper and easier to apply.I think this guy is going to try and gut hook me :D He sounds like he may be to smart to know what I'm wanting to do :D

17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Here's the tags I've choosen try.They're small ,plastic,and cheap.I have the tool already so that helped with my decission.I can get 50 tags numbered1-50 for about 15 bucks + s/h .I just think I will have fun tracking these fish I tag.I feel that some of these tagged fish may also be caught next year during some of the tourneys we fish so that will also give me a little more to study.I can only think that I can learn more on the fish from doing this.Just something fun to do. :D

Attached Files:

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    looks like good tags but where do you aply them? on a fin i would guess since theres no way they could go under the skin.

19. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have had a similar idea, and I was going to use different colored zip ties, and put them in the adipose fin, cut a little hole in the fin with a filet knife 1/8 to 3/16 and tag them.

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    The way these tags are made tagging locations are numberous.Anywhere from the lower lip,inside cheek,fins,tail,you name it.I think the corner of the mouth will work fine,right behind where the lips meet :D