tagging fish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by katplayer187, Jan 25, 2009.

1. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    needle tags??has anyone ever thought of tagging there catch and keepig some kinda record or how much it weighed and where they caught the fish at?? ive heard of people notching fins and things like that but what about a more advanced tagging system like with a gun and the small

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I believe Lenny asked Game comission about it ask him what their response was

3. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    ok im sure len will be catchin this thread ill wait for him to reply i have to run..thanks

4. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    Yes I have thought of it. Its illegal to tag fish in PA.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yep, that was the answer i got from the fish and game, only private orgs. can tag fish, like on your private property doing a trout rodeo you can tag them but any commonwealth fish can't be taged, i wanted to tag flatheads just to see if i was catchin some twice and wanted to keep track of growth rate, i'll number them with waterproof nail polish :smile2:

6. finster31

finster31 New Member

State:
    Mohnton Pa
    use the glow in the dark marker:smile2:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I'm against the tagging thing! I don't want to see a tag hanging from a fish I catch! :eek:oooh: Why does anyone feel the need to do this to a fish? It would piss me off to see a tag on a fish I just caught! :angry:

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    it would just be neat to see the growth rate of a flathead, or even just to see if the same fish are being caught, the fish and game have tags on some fish for just this reason, i'm sure not flatheads but i have heard of people catchin taged fish and in the reg book it says about what to do if a taged fish is caught, i would just wonder what the growth rate is in a year or in a couple months for that fact, its not like i would want to tag every fish caught just a select few big one's

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I know a guy I fish with for Shad that caught a Stergon in the Delaware and it was tagged. I think it would be kind of interesting to see how far of a range they have on our home waters.

10. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I do think that it would be interesting to have some type of system where fish could be tagged and cataloged to have some data on growth rates, dispersion and so on. The problem with individuals doing it on their own is that there would be no organized system. I understand that flatheads arent targeted here the way that say bass are, and that most people dont harvest them so the chances of the fish actually being taken out of the water are slim, but I still dont know that any Joe Schmoe being able to tag is a good idea. I would really like for there to be some type of study to be started on PA flatheads, and it would also be pretty awesome to be part of a study on them. The only way that I can see something like this working where it would be organized and efficient would be to have the fish commission send people who are interested in being part of a study tags and the tagging gun. When they caught a fish, an accurate weight and length would be taken and the tag number written down and sent in so that it could be cataloged. I honestly dont think that with the current financial situation they would be interested in starting a study on a fish that really needs no help sustaining its own population. Going along with that, I really dont see them being all that concerned with flats considering that they are thought of as an "invasive" species that is eating the fish that make the commission their money (ie LM/SM bass, crappies, walleye, trout, etc). Most people are buying liscenses to fish for these other species and the flats are eating the fish that make the fish commission's world go 'round.

11. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    wow disel it doesnt seem like you should be fishing for flatheads at all then!! invasive or not they are still a fish... just like anything else people like me and you will ruin everything we have.. and there will be something that kills something else in the waters look at gobies mud puppies ect. they will hurt diffrent things and help others..as for the tagging im sure everyone would be happy to tag a fish 1 year that is 5lbs and catch the same fish 5 miles up river the next year and be 15lbs i cant see any true fisherman saying they would be pissed about that..if you see a flattie with a zip tie on it please email me lol..

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I didnt say that was MY opinion of them, I said thats how I think THEY are looking at them. It all comes down to economics, who do you think they get more $$ from, flatheads or trout?? Do you think that if there was a "first day" of flathead season that there would be a line to buy fishing liscenses and all the shelves in the flathead section at Wal-mart would be empty the way it is right before trout season??? Do you think they would be making millions off the sale of flathead stamps the way they do trout stamps or Erie stamps?? Hell no, they know where the money comes from and who eats their money fish.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Who cares's?

I wouldn't tag an official state game fish like stocked trout, walleye, musky, or bass, but...............I would do it the hated invasive scoundrels of the flathead catfish.

The Boat and Fish Commission reccomends us to bash their heads in with rocks and not release them. I don't think tagging them will be the least of their worries.

14. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i would say that 90% of all the people that buy a license for 1st day of trout only fish 4 or 5 times a week and the people that even keep the trout that they keep probly end up throwing them away so you can count them people out as fishermen...and for the state they cant wait for the trout/steelhead seaon to start because thats where they get alllll of there money from...but there should be some type of law for carp and flatheads that you can tag them but it the fish already has a tag on it you are to let the fish got and call in the info if a number is provided.. seems like some people on this site are keyboard fishermen and not real catfish hitters!!

15. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    well don't jump to quickly to conclusions. as for DIESEL I'd fished with him, He is a great fishermen, well equipped, experienced and knew what he doing for sure, when we went catting last august.

I will second Diesel, that the fish commission doesn't CARE enough about catfish (generally) to spend lots of money on a tagging survey. Hey catfish aint even got realistic harvest restrictions! Catfish go near deadlast on MOST lakes and rivers in Western PA. (With the Exception of the Alleghany, Mon and Ohio rivers.)

Wander out of the three rivers and talk about catfish, and people think your nearly as strange as the CArp and Sucker (Trash) fishermen.
    I've spent nearly 30 years fishing everywhere for wheeling WV to South-Westen NY and that attitude is Truly prevalent.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now about Tagging. Tan I think your right. but I have to say CAUTION.

occasional meetings with the PAFBC have brought great respect for the methodicalness and anality of the average Game Warden. I truly think they figure They are out to enforce THE RULES and I don't think make value judgements about whether breaking the rules does any harm.

Exhibit 1. OPENER BASS season, 07. Warren @ the connewango. I'm wading up a smallish river to catch some smallmouths. just below a small overhead dam is three amish fellows. Wanting to fish the dam but keep out of their way... I wade up to a shallow spot near the dam wall and walk on a dry patch of the dam; fishing the grooves. Out of nowhere; a lady at the far side motions me. She definitely is a fish warden, and characteristically, has those everpresent binocs on her. Not knowing nothing I meet her, she asks me IF I knew that it was forbidden to be within 100 feet of the dam.

"NO, I never heard such a thing". I say

She says there is signs at the waters edge. " I waded up from below" and point out the amish guys fishing...

"Well, their far ENOUGH away" (outside of 100 feet- NO WAY) she says and hands me and 80$ fine.

I complain that I never saw the sign and ask why it isn't visible to a fellow wading the river. She throws me a look like she's irritated. She reminds me that I have the RIGHT to fight the charge in front of a magistrate, but that the sign Clearly states and it is well known in town (I JUST moved into town) that you can't fish on or near the dam.

What WAS I harming? I wasn't even near any undertow (being on DRY firm concrete near an eddy).

POINT Is
    A. Wardens enforce the RULES, whether the fish commission really figures they are important or not.
    B. YOur NOT going to SEE the warden before they know you have broken the rules (that is the point of the binocs)
    C. You pay fish commission at a magistrate the enforces the Law; not a fish commission beaucrat, that figures that flatheads are worthless.

Tag if you want BUT don't do it near places where wardens visit (fish commission launches and river access), and do it off season and at night, with no one around. Personally 80$ aint worth some small tidbit of information about how much your flathead is growing over a few months...

16. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    if you can't tell I'm still furious and outraged about his Ticket:angry::angry::angry:

I don't feel the same about wardens Since then.

I follow rules, but sometimes feel really defiant about the super stupid ones. Its a dangerous ground I suppose to feel like there's some rules too stupid too personally vow to follow... but let me tell you I do have a healthy respect for the SKILLS and Sneakiness of some of these folks.

they are about as good at catching people as hawks at hunting spawning fish in shallow water. and about as personal. So few of them, ever seem to walk up to you and nicely chat about whats biting and offer helpful information.

I'm sure they use to do that. Now they are bankers; they try to plug the holes of there sinking budget, by holding up their customers...

I'm sure thats why some of the RULES are so dumb; without dumb rules, they'd be in even worse fiscal shape. IMHO of course.

17. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    well u should have went against the ticket took pictures of the area you were in and explained everything to the judge if you won you won but if you didnt then you still would have had to pay the ticket.. kinda of your fault for not trying to fight it cause from the sound of it you would have won or atleast have had the ticket reduced...a case of ya never know until you try..

18. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Very true...

I wished I had fought it, as well. it wasn't right. prolly, people just cowing to any little stupid fine (even if they didn't or couldn't know about the rule) makes those fish wardens only bolder and less fair to the average honest fishermen...

anyway, be VERY careful about breaking any rule!!! thats what I learned.

if you knowingly break a rule (that you know about) or should have known about (i.e. its written clearly in the fishing summary book), I don't see how you could fight it...

19. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    well i think that there should have been signs posted down river if the creek was acessable from below the dam....but like you said if it was in the handbook the you should know.. i think u could have ran with that excuse..

20. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Tan I talked to a Game Commission guy and in your area he said it is so overrun with flatheads its wouldn't do any good to destroy a few fish they are so plentiful so would it matter if someone tagged a flat I think not would you ever get any help keeping data on it no so unless you or someone you know catches the same fish again tagging it will be useless