Tagging Catfish - Where can I find tags at?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by WylieCat, Mar 14, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I was wondering if there are any places you can order tags for catfish from?

I know some of the payponds have them for money fish, and I know they tag and release fish they are tracking, so I was wondering if you can buy tags and to tag the fish yourself.

Of course the obvious question is whether it is legal or not, but I will figure that out with a couple of e-mails tot he state!!

The reason is because I would love to know how many fish I catch more than once. I know I have caught at least one. It was a six pound channel cat last year and I knew it because I broke it off the day before and the circle hook was still in it mouth when I caught it the next day!! I was stunned!!

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Do a Google for "fish tagging kit" and you will find everytihing you need, even a Website where you can log your fish into a database where others who catch it can access and update the fish's info or untimely meetiing of flour and hot oil.

3. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    Commission regulations prohibit anglers from tagging fish taken from Commonwealth waters. The only exceptions relate to an ongoing cooperative nursery tagging program or for activities pursuant to a scientific collectors permit. Although it's legal to tag fish that you purchase from a commercial source and stock, you must prove the source for such fish.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    below are pics of what i use. i get them from a local liquidation warehouse for like .05 each. think they might be used for some kind of livestock, but i snap them on right under the "fat-fin" near the tail on flats. i cut the number tag off because it could get hung up on something and get ripped out. besides, all i wanna know is if i had caught it before. they come in green, yellow, blue, and red. i only tag fish 20+ lbs. i use blue for 20+ and yellow for 30+. the pic shows one as it came, and one with tag cut off and snapped. if youd like some i can get some and send to you for cost, i live less than 2 miles from the place.

Attached Files:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dink, I was wondering if you have ever caught a previously tagged fish a couple years or more later. Or do you mostly catch them in the same year as they were tagged.

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Dieter. Try "Floy Tag". Looked into doin myself some time back. They even sent me a catalog. Trouble is its a no go here in Jersey. Illegal as all get out. If ya want PM me with your address and I'll send ya everything I have. By the way,it ain't cheap. LOL!

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I need to find me a local graduate student doing a research paper on catfish and their movements in lake waters.

Maybe she will be hott too.

LOL!!

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have only re-caught 3 fish since i started doingt this (bout 4 years). first one i caught was 2 years later, could tell it was same fish because i also clipped the fin a little. he had gained 5lbs in 2 years. second fish i caught 2 months later in the same spot, third was caught a month later about 50 yards from where it was previously caught.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    She's studing fish how hot can she be but good luck either way.