Tagging a spoonbill?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by okiecop, Apr 5, 2008.

1. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    The title pretty much asks the question. Since I am not sure how to go about this at all. From reading the ODWC site it looks like the spoonbill are already tagged. So if I catch one of those then I have to put my permit number on it I take it. But if it doesn't have one how do you go about tagging it?

As you have guessed it this will be the first time I have ever tried to snag spoonbill. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ray,
    Did you get your free Spoonbill permit number from the OKDWC? YOU just use the top number on the permit, the license number not the confermation number. Heres what I did I made some tags out of thin sheets of copper or alum. used a number stamp set and stamped the numbers in metal , cut in 1in x 3in. lengths drill a small hole, and used ectrical wire tyes to hold them on the fish. Just cut a little slit in one of the fins and put your tag on it. doin't put on the head or tail because you will be cutting thease off if you field dress it or bleed it out. You can make a tag out of anything, but if it gets wet it still needs to be readable. If you have the OKDWC clean it for you , you will be dropping it in a water tank with the tag on it ,and they will need to be able to read the tag when they take the fish out. Metal tags can be reused all year. You may catch a fish with a OKDWC tag on it , if you do you need to call or mail it to them. Tag you fish as soon as you get it in the boat. PM me if you need help.

3. KSFish

KSFish New Member

State:
    Kansas
    We use piece of duct tape around the tail or bill. Then take a sharpie marker and write your permit number and name. I also saw a guy today who took some small rope and then had an old "CD" or "DVD" with with his name and permit number written on the CD with a marker. Just a couple more ideas.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I use to make trotline tags with a strip of aluminum can and a permenant marker. Missouri warden told me it was legal if ledgeable.

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Duct tape has worked good for me.Like has already been said, use a Sharpe and write ur info on it while it is still on the roll. ready to tag.

6. swmo guy

swmo guy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you will stop by the processing center at Twin Bridges they have tags there that they will give you for free. They work a lot better than duct tape for me and they are free. All you need is a sharpie to write your number on it. I fasten it around the bill...

7. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    some fish you catch will be tagged ,,the wildlife dept. catches them then measures and weighs them .then releases them ..If you catch one with a tag..you do not have to keep it (the fish)

The wildlife dept . would like to have some info on the fish though.. length -girth- weight , and when and where you caught it ...for their study..release it back in the water with their tag attached and wright down the tag information

if you keep it you can keep the tag ...and it would still be nice to give them the same information...

don't get confused , their tag is not the same as the one we must get to harvest a spoonie

8. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Thanks for the reply's. I didn't have any luck. but i think i'll take the duct tape and sharpie route.

9. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I just carry a towel to dry my hands on... then dry a spot on the fish on the back behind the head, and write the number directly on the fish's skin with a sharpie or magic marker.

Works like a champ as long as the skin is dry. Won't wash off, either.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man, that is a GREAT idea Albert!!!

11. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea kinda like A tatoo. You could draw A boat an A fisherman on em. I;m going to twin briges this weekend, hope the weather straitens up.