Tagged Flathead caught on Platte River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Quackheadjh, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My fishing partner caught a tagged Flathead saturday night. We caught 8 fish total but that one made the night.Pics can be seen on the Platte River thread

Attached Files:

2. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I caught a tagged 24" walleye once, and our rules are release all tagged fish, so anyway that was the only fish of the night and we were out of food until the next day.:smile2:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like a good night on the water. Congrats

4. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    awesome, what info does MDC want when you catch a tagged fish?

5. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am not sure we length,girth,weight and were the fish was caught

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I caught a $25.00 tagged Flathead a year ago in June on the Missouri river. Called it in gave them there info and never got Squat in the mail. I guess I should call them back and charge them 13 months worth of interest. LOL
    :smile2:

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Congtrats on catching a tagged flat. That will be a fish to remember.

Tom

8. MoJon

MoJon New Member

State:
    NoMo

Hell ya!!!!!!!!! You darn well if you didnt pay your state taxes theyd want some intrest $$$$$$$$

9. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They dont forget when you owe them money

10. dennis boehm

dennis boehm Member

State:
    olathe kan
    my son caught a 35lb blue last year at oneofthe waverly tournaments sent in the tag and info took about a month to get the tag and $25.00back the fish hadmoved up river miles 135 miles and gained about 5 lbs in 3 months

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Congrate's on the tag catch.

12. Allmaj

Allmaj New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey guys, when you catch a tagged fish we expect you to treat it just as if it wasn't tagged. If you would normally have harvested it, then by all means do so. If you would have released it you can do that too, but you can cut the tag off and still send it in for the reward. Whether you keep or release is one of the valuable bits of information we need. To get your reward you must mail the tag in. We'll be glad to send it back to you if you'd like to keep it as a souvenir. The catfish project I was involved with the last four years has tagged fish ranging in value from $25 to $150.

Good luck!

Jake

13. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    That is great to know. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

14. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri

Welcome to the BOC Jake. Its good to have someone on here from the Dept. I'm sure you can answer a lot of Questions, and help a lot of us out. Welcome Aboard.

15. jcook77

jcook77 New Member

State:
    mo

I just have one problem with tag fish. Ive caught two myself and both fish were poor and had big sore where the tag was put threw. Ive talked to a couple of my friends who have caught tag fish and they said the same thing.
    so are the fish the conservation is tagging are they killing them with a long slow death? put a piece of stainless threw part of your body and see what happens. I know the conservation will say, well the one we saw are fine .the study has not been going on that long so who know any how.

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)

:happy:some of the people I work with are covered with stainless steel dohickeys thru their body----lips,tounges,eyebrows,ears:0a14:

17. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I'm sure it's not going to kill them. The growth and migratory info is worth it IMO. Does anyone know where to get the returned tag information? Look, there are countless people on the river harvesting flathead by the dozens, at least the tagging is for a purpose.

18. Allmaj

Allmaj New Member

State:
    Missouri
    jcook77,we do see sores on previously tagged fish. Fortunately these fish are pretty tough. We did collect fish this past year that were tagged the first year, so we know at least some of them survived for 3 years after tagging. We also did two different tag retention studies where tagged fish were kept in ponds and then checked up to a year later for lost tags and sores. These ponds had brush installed so the fish could rub and snag the tags on stuff much as they would in the rivers. We had no tag loses and only one fish wasn't accounted for after a year. Many had sores or scars from healed wounds. The tags we used are the best ones for catfish and have been used in numerous studies around the country. Do some fish die? Yes. But they also die just from handling them and releasing them, whether that's from shocking or angling.I can assure you we tried to be as gentle as we could tagging these fish. After all a dead fish is one that can't be caught by you and is data lost. It takes too much time to collect and tag all these fish just to have the data lost. We just completed the field work for this study last month. The final data analysis is ongoing. This is by far and away the largest catfish study ever completed in Missouri. We learned many things about sampling catfish and we'll have a better idea of the fishing pressure, angler catch and harvest of catfish in these rivers when the analysis is done. We have also gotten some great movement information too. It was a great project to work. I handled some beautiful catfish, worked with some good folks and enjoyed spending more time on the Platte, Grand and Missouri rivers than I could have ever hope for. I hope all of you will benefit greatly from the information we collected. It should help us better manage our catfish popualtions.Jake

19. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Glad to see you on here Jake.

jcook77,
    I too have caught have caught a tagged flathead. He was in excellent shape two years after being tagged and had traveled 20 miles and grown also. Catfish are very hardy fish. I worked with flats and blues that had been tagged and had surgically implanted telemetry transmitters placed in there bellies and blood samples taken. Many fish where recaptured and had blood samples taken pre and post spawn also. These fish were very healthy and some traveled hundreds of miles. Good fishin.