tagged fish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by on_the_fly, Mar 30, 2008.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well my son and I went back to cannelton today and he got his two and I got my two spoonbills but one of them has a tag ( lip ring/ new age fish lol) but anyways after I got home I got to reading the info on the tag and called the local fish-n-game man here (Rick) to see what they would like to know about the fish before I clean it for eating or if they just wanted the fish for their resurch. he said to just call the number on the tag and talk to this one guy he knew ( I can remimber the name right now) but anyways I got to thinking I've been fishing for about a good 22 or 23 years now and I can safely say that that is the first and only fish I have ever cought that was tagged for resurch by the kyFW, It sparked a little intrest in knowing how often other people have/or have had run across a tagged fish. not counting paylake prize fish. If I knew how to start a pole I would for people/ have cought or have never cought a tagged fish.

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    They were tagging on Kentucky Afeild a few weeks back and said they are tracking for many reasons, population, and there eggs, are a few.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is very interesting. I have never caught a tagged fish either. Thanks for sharing.

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    after talking to KYFW today I found out that my fish was tagged in 2005 in Huvey Lake ( lake spelling may not be right ) in Indiana. He said that lake was full of paddlefish but that lake is land locked so it would have had to made it into the Ohio river in a flood some time. I thought it was neet to find out that my fish started out in a lake somewere around the Newburg, IN area and made its way to cannelton.

5. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Congrats on your spoonbill,did you run into any cats while you where down at your honey whole.Aaron

6. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I caught a walleye in the Maumee river in Ohio 4 years ago,it was tagged in Michigan 2 years before. That is the only tag I have ever seen on a fish.

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey I havent ever caught one but ive heard of people catching them before, some times they will tag a fish in Kentucky and it end up in the mississippi sometimes they do it just to see where the fish was caught at