tagged blue cat from loz (Warsaw)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rodenberg, Jul 14, 2008.

1. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    well me and buddy fished bellow the dam last night with limited success. we landed 12 or 13 fish #21.2 being the biggest. my buddy caught this blue about 4:45 this am a mile or so below the dam. It had both front barbs, on the side fins, cut half way off. the fin itself looked to work fine just had the barbs cut off. It looked like it had been done with a pair of side cutters. the fish also had a grey zip tie tied around one of the clipped barbs. I could not find any numbers or any other markings any where on the fish. I am not familiar with any kind of tagging system like this. I was hoping maybe some one who fishes the lake might know about this tag. I tried taking pics but it was still to dark. The fish was let go to be caught again.

2. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    hmm i wouldnt think the conservation would tag a fish by cutting the fins. i would think they would use something to stick in the fish kinda like they do ocean fish.but then again ive never seen how they do it

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Good report still on the number of catches.

4. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sound"s like some sort of Redneck do-it your self tagging program to me. Did you guys fish for a while this am. or did you head back North?

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    If any of you are thinking of marking or tagging your own fish, please don't.

It's against the law and just a generally stupid thing to do.

6. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri

we split just after sun rise

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would say so.

There has been a MDC reward tagging system in the past.
    I believe using Carlin Dangler 50.00 reward tags.

It wasnt done with a cable tie and fins cut. Check with the MDC web site or contact the clinton office at 660-885-8179

8. catchandfillet

catchandfillet New Member

State:
    mo
    you have to keep crappie marked for each person if using same basket or livewell so we cut off either left ot right fins to mark whos fish is whos.
    i do the same thing with the cats cut off fins to mark whos fish it belongs to incase we get checked on the water.

if im not needing to do this that would be great. but why then would u have to mark 1 species off fish and not the other ???

can some one help me with this i would really like to know if i need to mark the fish or not using same basket or livewell.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Spend an extra couple bucks and buy another basket?

10. catchandfillet

State:
    mo
    that would work for the crappie but the cats 10 to 80 lbers wont fit in a basket and they allways get tangled up on the stringers so we like using the livewell.

11. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    We use seperate stringers for each person in the boat. I don't practice marking the individual fish though. Anything over 20lb qualifies for C.P.R. in my boat, so I can't help with any suggestions on those fish.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Show us some pictures of your boat and livewell. Maybe somone will have some ideas on how to help....:wink:

13. catchandfillet

State:
    mo
    what is c.p.r ??? is that a reward on the tagged fish??? or does that mean u just fillet them out on the boat ?? never seen c.p.r before just curious.

14. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Sorry.
    Catch Picture Return. Just my philosophy.

15. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is very interesting. There is no denying that it is intentional, yet it don't sound scientific so I doubt it was done by professionals. Thanks for posting and making all go HMMMMMMMMMMMMMm!! Sounds like a great night on the water, congrats.

16. catchandfillet

State:
    mo
    I have a 24 ft pontoon i use when rod and reel fishing with a huge home maid live well i believe to be around 70 gallon out of stainless steel.

when running trott lines I use my 18ft lowe jon boat and just throw them in the floor because ill be back to the truck in less then a hour.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Hmm. Looks like Scotty got the boot. Again. Nice try, catchandfillet...

18. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Did you guys run off the new guy allready. I wanted to see what a livewell looked like that would hold multiple limits of fish that weighed 80 pounds each. :wink:

19. catchandfillet

State:
    mo
    no spoonfish i would be in heaven to catch a limit of 80 lb fish mostly i catch 4 to 40 lbs with a few over that i just ment if 3 or 4 people in the boat i thought u had to keep each persons fish marked if they are all in same live well or just tossed in the boat . i would really like to know if I need to mark them or not ?????

20. catchandfillet

State:
    mo
    I didnt understand Mr.T last post kinda lost on that .