Tadpoles as bait?!?!

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by SkiMax, Jul 25, 2006.

1. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My dad is filling in a small pond by our house (building a larger one somewhere else) and there were millions of tadpoles out there tonight that had gotten pushed up on bank. I went down and collected at least 300 around 1.5 inches long and they are in my bait tank now. He said bass love them. I was wondering if anybody has used them for ANY kind of fishing and done any good. Just suspend them below a bobber? thanks!

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I caught a bunch years ago when I was a kid. I hooked them thru the lips and fished them under a slip float. They didn't stay alive very long, but I did catch a couple bass and several big bream. If I were to try them again I would use a thinner wire hook. Jeff

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Never done it, but always thought about it....keep us posted on your results!

-Red

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i use them when available. I hook themn thru the tail close to the body. they sstay alive longer . I fish them in a lake that has Channels, ba$$ and big bluegills. the fish love them.

Under a float=good
    carolina rig =good

fish close to cover and hang on the bigger the polywog the bigger the fish.

good luck and please let me know how you do with them.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Seems like something would eat them or the ponds would be all choked up with frogs. I never have caught anything on them. Good luck.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    went down to the Ohio River for a little while this evening and fished off the dock. Caught a ton of white bass on them, but I switched to a white curlytail to see and they hit those almost as readily. I did catch one nice skipjack on them about 18 inches, he's in the freezer now :lol: and one little bass about 6 inches and a saugeye about the same. try to post more next time!

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Me and a buddy took the boat out last night and went bass fishing with these tadpoles. We went up in a creek that runs into the river. I've seen alot of guys bass fish up in there and talked to some. They said they never catch much. Well we just put our tadpoles suspended below a slip bobber and look for cover in 8-12. Stumps seemed to be a key because we'd pull a fish off every one. We fished for about 2.5 hours and caught 10 keeper bass that ranged from prolly aroujnd 1-4 pounds (didn't weigh them, but there were no monsters either) and 13 crappie all over 11 inches. So I guess fish like tadpoles. We also had jigs, minnows, and worms and such and nothing else even got a bite.

8. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've heard they were great Crappie and Bass bait. Very interesting, and thanks for the great post.

SudDawg

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    They were the best summertime bait I have ever used. Wanna take them out tomorrow night and try for channels. Try to keep you posted...

10. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Awesome I get my own bait and we ussally toss the tadpoles back i'm gonna have to try some of them as bait now........

11. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I have been experimenting with natural/live baits and often wondered about those tad-poles. I am gonna try to kick up some bullfrog tad-poles and try them under a slipfloat.
    We'll see! Thanks for the info! Hope you make out using those!

12. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Max I've used them in the rivers and have caught channels with them. If you hook them through the meaty part of the tail they stay alive forever:smile2: