Tadpole

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by seagreen, Jun 22, 2006.

1. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    I went to my local petstore the other day and they recieved 2 dozen or so tadpoles with their feeder goldfish. They gave them to me and Im wondering how effective of a bait it can be, Im going out tommrow and would appreciate any suggestions.
    Thanks

2. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    never thought about tadpoles...got an old kiddie pool full of em...let me know how they do

3. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's rather interesting, but at the lake on base I have seen the channels feeding on the tadpoles.

I have tried to use them for bait though, and never caught anything with them.

4. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    Through some digging I found out that tadpoles are equipped with a secretion that makes them very unattracive as food. This is used to get them through the development stage of life. So i am letting my tadpoles free in the pond and hoping to get them again when they are little frogs :confused2: , which brings me to my next post. see Fishing with Frogs maybe u can help me out

5. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Earlier Titled Fishing With Frogs...u Can Get Answers There.
    Shaun

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I seined up some huge tadpoles several years ago.They were 3 to 4 inches long.I figured they were bullfrog tadpoles.They worked great.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That frogs make excellent cat bait!:big_smile:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Never heard of using tadpoles for bait.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i caught a bunch of bullfrog tadpoles in my cast net a few years back, and never got a hit on them. well i had them in a tote and kind of forgot about them for a few weeks. they evidently metamorhosed a little faster than usual due to the falling water level... i ended up with more than 70 of the things jumping all over the place, about 1 1/2 inches long. i caught as many as i could and let most of them go where they came from. i kept 5 or 6 for bait and they worked great. even after fish killed the frog, i would catch more fish on it...